Protein question

Hi I just started going vegan and im not to sure if im getting the right amount of protein, it seems everywhere I look i get a different answer as to how much I should be getting. People even criticize the us government recommended protein intake of .8g/kg, and i do realize this would be for just a normal person, not an athletic performance driven person. I would imagine its closer to 1.2g/kg.

If you look on the main vegan bodybuilding site the article that Robert Cheeke wrote:

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=article_buildingmusclesays

He wrote that you need 1.2-2g/lbs which is a way more protein than in kg which seems to be what most studies show is needed. This being said Im totally confused on what the correct amount is. Now another question that seems to have allot of contradiction out there is that plant protein is not as bioavailable as meat because of fiber. Also I saw read alot about how almost all grains, legumes, nuts and seeds all have anti nutrients in them, like gluten, lectins, Phytate, Flavonoids, enzyme inhibitors and many more

that again lower the bioavailability of not only the protein but the vitamins and minerals. It seems that sprouting and cooking takes away a large portion of these antinutrients but still do we still get enough protein this way even with all these factors playing a part into the absorption. Can someone please clarify this for me, and maybe link where they got there information from.

Thanks in advance,

Dean

Hello Dean,

This thread may help with your question.

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28350

I don't put much stock in anti-nutrient theories concerning plant proteins. As I posted in the above linked thread, I actually think plant proteins have better absorption rates. But that is just my personal opinion gained from experience, I have no scientific data to back that up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi I just started going vegan and im not to sure if im getting the right amount of protein, it seems everywhere I look i get a different answer as to how much I should be getting. People even criticize the us government recommended protein intake of .8g/kg, and i do realize this would be for just a normal person, not an athletic performance driven person. I would imagine its closer to 1.2g/kg.

If you look on the main vegan bodybuilding site the article that Robert Cheeke wrote:

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=article_buildingmusclesays

He wrote that you need 1.2-2g/lbs which is a way more protein than in kg which seems to be what most studies show is needed. This being said Im totally confused on what the correct amount is. Now another question that seems to have allot of contradiction out there is that plant protein is not as bioavailable as meat because of fiber. Also I saw read alot about how almost all grains, legumes, nuts and seeds all have anti nutrients in them, like gluten, lectins, Phytate, Flavonoids, enzyme inhibitors and many more

that again lower the bioavailability of not only the protein but the vitamins and minerals. It seems that sprouting and cooking takes away a large portion of these antinutrients but still do we still get enough protein this way even with all these factors playing a part into the absorption. Can someone please clarify this for me, and maybe link where they got there information from.

Thanks in advance,

Dean

EDIT: I noticed that he had posted up this thread twice with the 'other' one having a couple of responses in it. I merged both of the threads together to make it an easier point of reference MF.

It's been a while since you posted this (and since you've visited the forums), but I clicked on the "unanswered posts" button and saw it sitting here with over 600 views and no responses, so I decided to answer.

In my opinion getting the "right" quantity of protein will not make a huge difference in muscle/strength building. For instance, if you get 1.2 grams/lb of body weight instead of 1.5 grams/lb it's not like you're going to never grow any muscle. I'm sure there is an optimal amount that needs to be taken for specific goals and there have been all sorts of recommendations from knowledgeable people. Robert says 1.2-2.0 per lb, Arnold (back in the 70's) said you needed 1.0-1.5 per lb. etc...

However, depending on your goal, your training is much more important than exact amounts of protein intake. For example, if your goal is to gain strength and thereby gain muscle, it is more important that you are focusing on compound barbell movements with progressive loading and allowing yourself enough time to recover and consuming enough calories to build the muscle. In this instance, exact amounts of protein are irrelevant. Sure you need to get your protein in, but unless you're at the elite level of your sport, you will grow based on two things (training correctly and consistently, and eating enough calories) no mater if you're getting 1.0 grams/lb or 2.0 grams/lb of protein.

Also, you don't need to be so strict that you always take in exactly 200 grams of protein a day. Some days it's ok to take in 170, some days 230, some days 200. Weekly averages are more important than exact daily numbers.

Anyway, I know you were looking for a number, but I think understanding the broader picture is more important than a number. Hope that helps.

As always, if anyone has a different/more informed view please chime in as I'm still new-ish to all this.

Cheers,

John

Edited by Mini Forklift Ⓥ
To let John know that I had added in some responses from DYNO2222's other thread. Mini Forklift

Good reply John, I tend to agree with what you wrote. I think a lot of people tend to overthink things like this, it's more important IMO to a) make sure you are meeting your caloric needs b) eating consistently/never feeling hungry c) quality of food is high d) you're training optimally with enough rest between sessions.

If you're doing all of the above as well as hydrating well and getting enough sleep, the rest will take care of itself. Whether you get 1.1g or 1.8g protein is unlikely to have a noticeable bearing on your progress and/or muscle gains. Just my 2c of course MF.