Muscle Memory: GET IN THERE AND GET UP THERE!

I have been doing the heavy body weight exercises and have gained about two pounds in the last two weeks. I cannot calculate my strength increases, but I know I need to add weight to my weighted elevated push ups, pull ups and pistol squats at least. I would love to keep this kind of progress going when I return to the gym with a vengeance, hopefully in four weeks. Are there any tips to gaining back what my muscles have forgotten? I want to get back up there in the fastest manner possible. Maybe some tips that are not conventional to true newbie gains? Or is it essentially the same as newbie gains/training?

Hey mate,

One of the best techniques i've found is rest pause training methods, taking a 5-10 second rest pause between reps, similar to German PITT Force training methods. It allows for great stimulation as the rest pause helps reduce the by-products of fatigue.

Heres some of the PITT Force training to visually get the idea

Very productive, thought stressful way to train.

Best

Rob

Hey mate,

One of the best techniques i've found is rest pause training methods, taking a 5-10 second rest pause between reps, similar to German PITT Force training methods. It allows for great stimulation as the rest pause helps reduce the by-products of fatigue.

Heres some of the PITT Force training to visually get the idea

Very productive, thought stressful way to train.

Best

Rob

Many thanks for that information. This seems like a way to really increase the weight past what you would normally use. I should definitely do something like this.

• 2 weeks later...

Muscle memory does help you gain back muscle to where you once were, so I know the fact that I'm not really a noob will help me to get back to where I was. I used to be about 151 lbs of lean body mass. I am currently around 142 lbs of lean body mass, so I am going to do whatever it takes to regain that 11 pounds of muscle.

How about thoughts on:

How many reps should I shoot for?

How long of a rest period?

I am thinking about going for failure in 25 reps, no rest period, super sets with antagonizing lifts.

I will surely need to carry a workout journal with me to the gym every day.

These are some things that a buddy of mine is doing and he is seeing some impressive results. What are your thoughts on this? If I can gain 11 pounds by the end of the year, I will be satisfied.

As a guide line, for upper body movements i recommend 6-10 reps to failure, however if your fail on rep 5 dont worry, you'll get 6-10 on your next workout, and at the other end, if you think you can do 13 reps with a certain weight, don't stop at 10, get the 13 reps, just increase the resistance the next time. For the lower body i recommend slightly higher reps, 8-15 on thigh movements, and 12-20 for calfs. Again don't worry if your off a little.

Of course in some cases, reps aren't even necessary, you can perform static holds on an exercise that provide's resistance in the fully contracted position, examples, lateral raise machine, leg extension, leg curl, calf raise, underhand pulldown, pec deck, preacher curl machine etc, with shorter time under load on upper body movements and slightly longer tul on lower body movements.

Rest period, just enough to allow the heart rate to come down a little, and get your breath back, reset yourself mentally and then get back in the deep end:)

By the way, those rep range guide lines aren't just plucked out of thin air, those are the rep ranges that were found to be the most productive for the given area's by the research of Arthur Jones and his colleagues at Nautilus. Mike Mentzer also used those same rep ranges with every one of his clients (and there were thousands). Also don't forget, in order to add mass to your frame, you need the caloric cement, calories need to be above maintenance level.

Best wishes and good luck with achieving your goals:)

Rob

• 1 month later...

Now i'm having an issue gaining strength as fast as my size. the odd thing is I am still at the same body fat percentage. so it has to be going somewhere. i went up from 160 pounds to 175. I feel like my body is ready for a real weight lifting challenge. I'm gonna try joker sets after a warmup and two regular sets on squat to see if I can get a bit of a boost.