Recommend some mass-gaining powders?

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

fraserlee
Finch

Recommend some mass-gaining powders?

#1 Postby fraserlee » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:30 pm

Hi everyone,

Good to know you here. I am a skinny vegan who starts bodybuilding.
I am now using NOW carbo gain (pure maltodextrin) for weight gainer. (I use VEGA for protein.)

Could you recommend other mass-gainers for me? I become tired of the taste of NOW carbo gain.
Thank you.
Last edited by fraserlee on Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ
VBB Moderator, Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

Re: Recommend some mass-gainers?

#2 Postby Mini Forklift Ⓥ » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:00 am

Good mass gainers?..

Avocado, nuts, potatoes, refried beans, lentils and legumes etc etc. Ditch the maltodextrin and stick with the Vega, you can always bump up the calories of it by adding things in like a teaspoon of creatine, coconut oil, LSA and a banana or berries.

fraserlee
Finch

#3 Postby fraserlee » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:42 am

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Good mass gainers?..

Avocado, nuts, potatoes, refried beans, lentils and legumes etc etc. Ditch the maltodextrin and stick with the Vega, you can always bump up the calories of it by adding things in like a teaspoon of creatine, coconut oil, LSA and a banana or berries.

Thank you, Forklift! I know and use these foods too. How about mass-gaining powder?

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

#4 Postby Mini Forklift Ⓥ » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:08 am

fraserlee wrote:Thank you, Forklift! I know and use these foods too. How about mass-gaining powder?

I'm not really a big believer in 'mass gainers' as they tend to mainly up the calories by increasing the sugar and fat content.

That's why I suggested you stick to a good clean protein source and add in your own calories :wink:

muchidna
Manatee

#5 Postby muchidna » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:33 am

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
fraserlee wrote:Thank you, Forklift! I know and use these foods too. How about mass-gaining powder?

I'm not really a big believer in 'mass gainers' as they tend to mainly up the calories by increasing the sugar and fat content.

That's why I suggested you stick to a good clean protein source and add in your own calories :wink:

definately +1 for this, especially on a vegan diet, you really won't need to supplement carbs or fats as there are plenty avaliable, i certainly wouldnt sub a sweet potato for some processed waxy maize starch powder

bananas are good also ;)

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

#6 Postby Mini Forklift Ⓥ » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:07 pm

muchidna wrote:definately +1 for this, especially on a vegan diet, you really won't need to supplement carbs or fats as there are plenty avaliable, i certainly wouldnt sub a sweet potato for some processed waxy maize starch powder

bananas are good also ;)

Completely agree with you muchidna :wink:

Think_machine
Rabbit

Re: Recommend some mass-gaining powders?

#7 Postby Think_machine » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:47 am

My morning shake has water, a few tablespoons of blackstrap molasses, powdered oatmeal (i put it in the blender), two tablespoons of sunflower oil, protein powder and BCAAs. It works well as a weigbt gainer in the last three weeks. I'm up 15 pounds!

fraserlee
Finch

Re: Recommend some mass-gaining powders?

#8 Postby fraserlee » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:07 am

Thank you muchidna, Think_machine and again Forklift! I would try adding olive oil in the blender (currently only oatmeal and protein powder - already make me very full).;)

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”