nutritional yeast has animal estrogen !!!! please help

You should read the abstract again.

"Saccharomyces cerevisiae possesses a high-affinity estrogen binding protein and an endogenous ligand that displaces [3H]estradiol from both the yeast binding protein and mammalian estrogen receptors. Semipurified preparations of this ligand have been shown to exhibit estrogenic activity in mammalian systems."

It is not "animal estrogen", merely that it acts like estrogen in mammals. From reading the paper, it would seem that these proteins and ligands are pretty normal in these types of organisms and relate to reproduction (via cell division/budding).

I am not a biologist or biochemist - they would be better suited to explain this.

• 4 months later...

Without opening a new post I would like to take the opportunity to ask you what do you think about nutritional yeast. I ate it for a short period when i became vegan 3 years ago then i almost forgot the existance of that. In the past few days i'm sperimenting a lot in kitchen so i bought a pack and using it sometimes (at lunch i added 3 teaspoon to my broccoli-mushrooms curry, yesterday i used it to bake).

It's a good aliment? Is the protein quality good? Is too much processed? Basicaly yeast should be just a fungus, I don't know much about this aliment, if there is someone who know it better i'd like to hear something

• 1 month later...

I use it when i'm making cheesy sauces and often with Bechamel sauce, for lasagna or something. To tell the truth, I've never done any real research about it and have never bothered to look at the protein content.

I obviously don't use it all that often... as smashing lasagna and cheesy pasta dishes are definitely a sometimes food.