Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Looking for nutrition advice
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:01 am 
Rabbit

Hey everyone!

After losing a ton of weight, I now want to sculpt my body and want to become really lean. I still want to get rid of some last pounds, I think lifting weights will help with that as well. Just some vanity pounds. What macros would be best for me? I am an active 29yo female. I am a nurse and spend 8 hours daily mostly on my feet. Not much sitting at all, maybe a total of 1 hour at work max. I run most days after work (30min - an hour). Should I cut back on the cardio now and start lifting on most days? I am thinking of doing Insanity instead of running, as it trains all body parts and is really intense. I love pushing myself, running has become a walk in the park for me now. I want to eat clean and want to eat most calories from veggies and fruit - is that possible? I have done a mostly fruitarian diet in the past year, but haven't built much muscle in that time period (even lost a fair amount!!) and am looking forward to a lean physique now!
Anyway, I am guessing ~2000 calories, 40C 30F 30P?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Neraida

Post subject: Re: Looking for nutrition advice
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:28 am 
Rabbit

Oh, and another question: I see many of you are using protein powder. Can I achieve my protein goals without it?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:49 pm 
Manatee

hi neraida, it may be very hard to achieve it without protein powder, many vegan foods are high in carbs and modest in protein
as for the macros, well i personally aim for 2g+ per kg of protein per day, the other two macros generally just fall into place from what i eat, the amount of calories depends on your body, so find a calculator, then remove 400 or so calories from the result to lose weight, or add 3-400 to bulk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:24 am 
Rabbit

Thanks for your reply! Should I look for soy-based proteins?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:04 am 
Finch

I wouldn't know, I have used protein powder for as long as I can remember.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:32 am 
Finch

Hi Neraida,

Since i'm a registered Nurse and a health advocate. In some instances, i have some of my suggestions that might be a good catch for you.. :) Stay above 1,200 calories… ”The average person’s body goes into starvation mode if she eats fewer than 1,200 calories a day,” says Eric Berg, author of “The 7 Principles of Fat Burning.” “That’s stress, and stress creates more belly fat.”
Cut calories gradually. If you diet, don’t trim more than 250 calories a day. Cutting calories too quickly slows your metabolism down, Dr. Manfroy says. Munch on these. Almonds, cherries, yogurt, grapefruit, whole grains, and spicy foods have all been shown to torch fat.

"Currently enrolled in the Bodybuilding Contest Preparation Course"

http://ww9.aitsafe.com/go.htm?go=www.bo ... tm=90&im=1

"Bodybuilding Contest Preparation Course"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:13 pm 
Rabbit

Thanks for that, Meshikiara! I won't go below 1200 calories, in fact, anything close to that number will leave me hungry and grumpy. I think I will stick with 1500 calories, have been doing that for a while and I feel quite good on it. Some days I am hungrier than others, depending on stress and workout.

I am thinking of fasting once a week, every Sunday. What is your opinion on that?