Hello

timber

Hi

I have been a vegetarian for nearing 22 years and have not been successful at making the transition to a Vegan lifestyle yet. I was always in reasonable shape but when I turned 30 my metabolism left. I got married, had a son and quit smoking. Needless to say I packed on 30 pounds.

I`m now 43 and want and need to loose that weight. I have been jogging for a year and love it. I would like to add a weight lifting program and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I came across this page on a google search. I was looking at a vegan strength training program at bodybuilding.com.

Thanks again. I look forward to learning from you folks.

Tim

Hi Tim and welcome.

I switched from vegetarian (10years) to vegan about a year and half ago after watching Gary Yourofsky's .. Best Speech You Will Ever Hear on youtube.

Since giving up dairy and eggs, I've done a bunch of research and am healthier for it... ie. I've given up most processed foods now too. I highly recommend everyone ditching those from their diet as they are calorie dense but nutrient poor. Being nutrient poor people tend to eat more of them.. ie. more calories than they need.

When you are successful at making the switch, make sure to incorporate a b12 supplement and make sure you are getting enough zinc and iodine in your diet - if not you'll want to supplement. I also 'supplement' with an occasional brazil nut for selenium (helps with iodine uptake - and if you are male, testosterone production).

Focus more on your diet if you are looking to lose weight. I personally don't subscribe to the protein myth... but I know many here do so I won't say anything to offend them. Do your own research and follow your own common sense.

As far as weightlifting programs, you can use the same programs as omnivores. So long as you are sticking to your training regiment, restricting processed food and meeting your energy requirements, you're sure to see good results.