Getting Serious about Getting Big

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My girlfriend and I have been trading off playing time and I feel like all of our free time in the past 36 hours has been devoted to GTA. It's definitely harder than the last one but it's so pretty and fun. I've played for hours already and I've only done a couple missions because there's just so much to explore and do. Definitely taking advantage of extra GTA time for rest day today!!!

When you say "lab" do you mean computer, or science? If the latter, I have an old friend who worked in the NWU science labs (I believe), along with her sister. She recently moved though, to Cleveland (again, I believe). Maybe that is a good enough description without mentioning her name specifically.

Nice workout the other day. I think its easy to fall into something that feels comfortable, and I guess that's ok to do if you force yourself to mix it up now and then; diet included. Now that you mention it, I might have to go pick up a copy of GTAV. I haven't bought any new games in years, and my birthday is right around the corner, so I'd say it is justified.

Edit! My friend moved to Ann Arbor, MI... Just to clarify.

Science lab! I work with a group studying nanostructures and biomaterials for use in healing spinal cord injuries and locally distributing therapeutics for cancer. I love my job, and the Northwestern campus is just beautiful. It's nice to climb out of the city up here to the burbs for some open air every day

Yeah I'm trying to keep myself really open about my programming. I really like and tend to thrive on structure in my day to day life, but I think when I'm in the gym and have to work around other people it becomes better for me to just get flexible. I figure that if I have an idea of which body parts I want to hit and good knowledge of my own musculature and strength, I can throw together a plan for the day on the fly depending on how busy everything is and what equipment is getting used. I'm liking the option of using machines now and then, especially for just killin a burn set at the end of a workout. The tracking/isolation makes burn sets really easy and it makes me feel completely worked out.

I'd definitely recommend GTA V! Especially if you don't play many other games, and especially if you like open world RPGs. It's got hours and hours and hours of play value, so you get a lot of bang for your buck. The graphics are really stunning, as well, with really beautiful landscapes. Treat yo' self!

Yesterday was a rest day, and an extremely needed one, at that. I felt pretty okay throughout the day but it just hit me like a ton of bricks when I got home and everything was sore. It’s okay though, I got some extra time in on GTA

The worse throughout the day was my wrists and forearms. I’m going to start doing some rehab on my grip and focusing on grip strength overall in the coming weeks. Long story short, I’ve got some pre-existing stress injuries to my forearms and wrists resulting from a lot of bike riding for long distances with a really aggressive posture (I use bullhorns now and a bike with better fitting geometry, but I was young and foolish once) and playing bass in a metal band as if I was a lead guitar player… ugh. Oh well. My mother (who’s a PT but works more with seniors than athletes) helped me with some rehab but I fell behind on it and now that I’m starting to lift really heavy again the pain is really starting to flare up again. I got some good advice here about what I could do in terms of rehabbing my wrists or changing my lifting techniques. I’ll be working with a stress ball and doing a lot of squeezes throughout the day and I’m going to start doing bar hangs a few times a day with the bar I’ve got at home. After a couple weeks I’m going to start in with some static holds with ~95% deadlift 1RM. It’ll be slow but it’s the best thing to do. After my lifting today I think I’ve noticed that it’s really my deads that set it off and then any sort of bicep curls really exacerbate the situation.

So, rehab rehab rehab, and then when I’m feeling a little stronger I’m going to look into getting some Fat Gripz and working those in. I want my hands to be strong as heeeelllll. Marathon, not a race!

Bench Press

5x45lbs

5x55lbs

5x60lbs

5x65lbs

5x73lbs

5x70lbs

Military Press

10x35lbs

4x10x45lbs

Kroc Rows

3x10x40lbs

Incline Dumbbell Fly

10x12lbs

10x12lbs

10x15lbs

Machine Chest Press

2x10x60lbs

Rope Tricep Pushdown

3x10x36lbs

• 2 weeks later...

missed gettin to the gym yesterday so i made up for it today, hittin deads with arms and shoulders. it was a big one.

wait for it. are you ready?

5x200lbs trap bar deadlifts. boom. ready to compete. let’s get it on.

Trap Bar Deadlift

10x125lbs

10x145lbs

10x165lbs

8x175lbs

5x200lbs

8x175lbs

8x175lbs

Military Press

3x10x45lbs (supersets with…)

EZ-Bar Curl

3x10x45lbs

Rope Pushdowns

10x36lbs

2x10x48lbs

Dumbbell Bench Press

3x10x20lbs (this one was burnin’ out from those pushdowns, my tri’s are going to be sore as hell)

I’m feelin really ready to register for a powerlifting meet (ideally a deadlift only meet just for starters, but I’d do all three if presented with the option), but all of the information I’m finding for Chicago seems to be outdated. Are powerlifting federations really horrible at having a web presence? I have a few friends that might know about competing in the area that I’m going to ask, but if any of you might have a notion of what my next step should be let me know!

The weekend was excellent, I had a lot of rest time and a little bike ride with my girl on Sunday that was the cherry on top. A month or so ago I got her to start drinking protein shakes with me in the morning, and this weekend she said she wants to join my gym. I’m not gonna fight it! Also, Northwestern admins said I could put her on my gym membership as my spouse even though we do not have a civil union. So much excellence (also, A+ Northwestern, very good, I’m pleased).

I’ve been doin some research into how to get my biceps REALLY BIG. I know that it’s not a very good sign of functional strength and that bicep size is largely aesthetic, but it’s something I want. If I don’t have to sacrifice my dead/squat strength to get it, then I want it. Anyway, I went poking around and found some good evidence to completely quit using the EZ-Bar and to start working in one arm preachers: maximum isolating from the bench and then isolating only one arm to prevent the strong arm from overcompensating for the weak arm, causing the discrepancy to grow. I have noticiably more size and strength in my right arm than my left arm, and I know it will even out eventually but I’d like to coax it in that direction a little more directly. One-arm curls will help with that. I also worked in a straight barbell curl today and it feels wildly different from the EZ-bar. I fear that using the EZ-bar has further coddled my already weak forearms and wrists, and hopefully reverting to the straight bar at this point will help to counteract that. I’m still learning every day about my body and the functionality of my muscles. It’s just fascinating.

I also completely re-wrote out a new program for myself this morning, and we’ll see how it goes.

OHP

10x35lbs

8x45lbs

8x50lbs

8x55lbs

6x50lbs

6x45lbs

Dumbbell Bench Press

10x25lbs

3x10x20lbs (superset with…)

One-Arm Preacher Dumbbell Curls

4x10x15lbs

Barbell Curls

8x45lbs

8x45lbs

6x45lbs

Tricep Pushdown (straight bar)

10x48lbs

10x60lbs

10x60lbs (superset with…)

Dumbbell Front Raise

3x10x10lbs

• 2 weeks later...

I took a little bit of an extended break last week after taking a good tumble off of my bike on wednesday. I still have quite a few angry looking bruises but nothing hurts too much any more. I went for another ride on Saturday to make sure that I got right back on the saddle and wouldn't be feeling nervous about it. Everything felt great and I got back into the gym on Monday. I've been noticing more and more progress lately and I'm so happy. I feel like my lifts have been going very well, weights are moving up, I'm putting on mass, and I just feel solid. I'm going to go watch my first powerlifting meet ever this weekend and I'm really excited about it. I know I'm not quite ready to compete yet but I really want to go see what it's like and what it's all about and just get a peek at what my local competition might look like. I think with my maxes right now I could be pretty competitive in my weight class, and even more competitive if I dropped to 124 lbs (sitting ~128 lbs right now).

Winning isn't even the point, though. It's just competing that's the point, and pushing myself. Everything about training just feels so good right now.

Monday's Session

Bench Press

10x45lbs

10x55lbs

10x65lbs

5x75lbs

5x75lbs

3x85lbs

Military Press

10x55lbs

10x50lbs

8x50lbs (switched from EZ-bar to standard barbell, feels different but better. it’ll take me a couple weeks to work up to my normal weights with the standard bar, i think.)

Barbell Bicep Curl

10x45lbs

10x50lbs

10x50lbs

Incline Bench Press

3x10x50lbs

One-Arm Dumbbell Preacher Curls

13x15lbs

2x10x15lbs

Plate Front Raise

3x10x25lbs

Machine Chest Press

10x55lbs

10x60lbs

10x55lbs

Tuesday's Session

Squats

6x65lbs

6x95lbs

6x115lbs

6x135lbs

3x145lbs

Trap Bar Deadlifts w/Shrugs at the Top

10x105lbs

10x115lbs

10x135lbs

10x135lbs

Leg Press

3x10x300lbs

Wide-Grip Lat Pulldowns

3x10x84lbs

Sorry to hear about your bike fall, I've had a few of them and they're never fun.

How is your grip strength coming along, you throwing any of those exercises into your workouts? If you are looking at a powerlifting comp then it's worth doing as by the time you get to DL's you are already pretty tired. Best place to search for meets (from what I hear) is this site here:

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/4421

All the best with your training

Hey MF!

Yeah the fall was definitely a scary one but I was lucky I was out of the way of traffic and not banged up so bad that I couldn't pull myself and my bike off to the side of the road and safety. I haven't had too many serious falls but this one shook me up. My knees are still pretty heavily bruised and I've got a few bruises on my face but nothing that actually hurts anymore.

The grip strength is still a battle, but I think that it's one that I'm winning. I've been paying a lot of attention to my hand placement, and I've completely stopped using the EZ bar over the past two weeks. My grip feels stronger when I keep my hands in a little closer for DLs, and I think that using a standard barbell instead of an EZ bar for things like curls is forcing my wrists and forearms to actually pull their weight. I've been doing squeezes at home and during free time as well, which I can only assume is contributing. Right now it still feels like a slow road, but it's definitely getting better.

Thanks for checking in!!!

Nice lifting, especially those trap bar deadlifts!

On grip strength - one thing that I feel helped me was doing conventional deadlifts with double overhand grip. I would do all except my heaviest two sets with double overhand (at this point its anything over 315#). Heavy farmer's walks and volume heavy single arm rows were also good.

Also, use chalk! Your grip will feel much more secure when your hands are truly dry. I use Eco Ball Chalk by Metolius ($6 on Amazon) which is non-marking and you don't need a whole lot of it like regular chalk. If your gym won't allow chalk the eco ball is a good way to sneak it in - just keep it in a plastic bag. It looks like chalk in the bag but you can barely see it on your hands and nothing on the bar.

Thanks for the tips! I haven't actually used chalk ever, but it's something I'll look into! I'm keeping conventional deads in the rotation once a week and usually I use overhand grip until my last two sets, as well. My grip has been feeling better every time, definitely improving.

Today I was running on way less sleep than usual and without any coffee, so I decided to just get in and move some weight around and get out. For the rest of the day I've been eating every single thing that comes into my path and I plan to fall asleep early and then get up early to go check out that meet tomorrow. If all goes well I'll be spending some serious time in the gym tomorrow afternoon.

Overhead Press

5x10x45 lbs (superset with...)

Barbell Bicep Curl

5x10x45 lbs

Wide-Grip Incline Press

5x10x50lbs (superset with...)

Dumbbell Side Bends

5x10x45lbs

Also, here's a little aesthetics update, sitting solid at 129 lbs now:

picstitch.jpg.ee81bfeff35a7a6647376f981a3b4dbe.jpg

Thanks! I'm workin hard on it hah

The meet was awesome. Biked a total of 28.8 mi there and back, took enough time at home to slam a Monster and eat a Builder bar and then bussed up to the gym… and spent an hour and a half moving shit around. Confirmed 1RM for deadlift with standard bar at 205 lbs. I feel extra fantastic. The meet definitely showed me that I have a LOT to work on but that competing within the next year isn’t out of the question. Just gotta work work work… and eat more.

Deadlift

6x95lbs

6x115lbs

6x145lbs

6x165lbs

6x185lbs

3x195lbs

1x205lbs

Romanian Deadlifts

3x10x125lbs

Bent-Over Rows

3x10x80lbs

One-Arm Dumbbell Preacher Curls

3x10x15lbs (superset with…)

Kroc Rows

3x10x40lbs

Leg Press

10x300lbs

10x310lbs

10x320lbs

10x330lbs

10x340lbs

Cable Curls

10x48lbs

4x10x60lbs (superset with…)

Tricep Pushdowns

10x60lbs

4x10x72lbs

• 2 weeks later...

I took the rest of last week off. Wednesday was on purpose, Thursday I took off from lack of sleep/adequate nutrition and stress… figured it would be counterproductive to my goals, so I laid low and tried to catch up on eating. This weekend my partner and I went camping with my whole family and our dogs – it was a blast. Lots of time in the car getting there and back combined with poor eating of the weekend though. Time to get back on top of things.

OHP

6x55lbs

10x50lbs

3x10x45lbs

Barbell Curl

4x10x50lbs

Bench Press

5x10x55lbs

Tricep Pushdown

3x10x60lbs

Cable Curl

3x10x48lbs

Incline Dumbbell Fly

3x10x12lbs

Front Plate Raise

3x10x25lbs

Seated Cable Row

10x60lbs

10x72lbs

15x48lbs

My hammies haven’t seen this much action since I first figured out RDLs. Great lower body/back day today. Feelin totally solid. Maybe the trib/dhea off-cycle stuff is in my head. My deads didn’t suffer at all today. If anything, I felt stronger in my lockouts than ever. Added in weighted glute bridges, first time trying them, and I can already tell they’re going to be permanent in the rotation. Another confirmation of my 205 1RM deadlift today, too. Next week I’m throwing an extra 5 lbs on there at the end. My upperbody strength has increased to the point where I consistently feel my lats working on the pull-downs instead of feeling the load through my arms, which is excellent.

Deadlift

6x115lbs

6x135lbs

6x155lbs

6x175lbs

4x195lbs

1x205lbs**

10x165lbs

Squat

10x65lbs

10x75lbs

10x85lbs

10x90lbs

10x90lbs

Loaded Glute Bridges

10x45lbs

4x10x55lbs

Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown

10x84lbs

4x10x72lbs

Monday...

Friday I went in and got things done quick and simple. Thursday I played hooky and had a ridiculously lush day at home instead with my girlfriend. Now it’s monday and I’m back in the game! The biggest issue I’m running into with training right now is just making sure I eat enough, which I’m attempting to combat by stuffing my face with every vegan food item that comes within reach. It’s tough, but someone’s gotta do it

OHP

10x55lbs

10x50lbs

10x50lbs

10x45lbs

Barbell Curl

10x50lbs

10x50lbs

10x50lbs

10x45lbs

Wide-Grip Incline Press

3x10x45lbs

Plate Front Raise

3x10x25lbs

Tricep Pushdowns

3x10x72lbs

Cable Curls

3x10x48lbs

Cable Rows

3x10x72lbs

Machine Chest Press

10x55lbs

10x55lbs

10x60lbs

Then... On Tuesday...

DEADLIFT DAY DEADLIFT DAY DEADLIFT DAY

Picked up 215 lbs today, feelin like a champion. The lockout at 215 was a little weak but it was good at 210 so regardless I’ve got a solid new PR. The only 1RM I’m really comfortable testing by myself is deads, but I might go for a squat 1RM later this week. My bench is so atrocious I don’t even want to think about it right now. Today was an excellent day for some back work, though.

Deadlift

6x135lbs

6x145lbs

4x165lbs

3x185lbs

1x205lbs

1x210lbs

1x215lbs

10x165lbs

Leg Press

3x10x340lbs (superset with…)

Kroc Rows

3x10x45lbs

Barbell Hip Thrust

10x40lbs

10x45lbs

3x15x45lbs (last three sets superset with…)

Wide-Grip Lat Pulldowns

3x10x77lbs

Focused on that bench yesterday, put up some solid numbers. I’ll be back in the gym for legs in a couple hours, but I had a few minutes so I thought I’d record yesterday’s chest day. I had to cut things short because I got an alert on my phone that I was 15 min away from a meeting (yikes!) when I still had a few sets left, but oh well. That’s life! Cable curls + tricep pushdowns with a straight bar are becoming one of my favorite upper body supersets, I find myself working them in a lot. I read an article this past week about how if you superset antagonistic muscles it actually helps them recover a little better… Now, I don’t know if this is exactly true but I do know my arms have been getting bigger again over the past two weeks since I started implementing that superset and using some barbell curls. Success!

Bench Press

6x45lbs

6x55lbs

6x65lbs

6x75lbs

4x80lbs

4x85lbs

4x85lbs

3x90lbs* (new PR)

Tricep Pushdowns

3x10x72lbs (superset with…)

Cable Curls

3x10x60lbs

Wide-Grip Incline Press (speed reps)

3x10x55lbs (superset with…)

Plate Front Raise

3x10x25lbs

Went heavy on some squats today. I feel myself gaining more and more confidence with the bigger lifts and feeling more and more confident moving my weights up and trying for some heavy triples and doubles. Still seeing great improvements.

Now that I’ve been testing my 1RM or calculating out from my heavier low rep sets, I thought it might be interesting to compare stats from June:

June 2013

BW 55.5kg

Squat 70.5kg

Bench 43.0kg

Dead 70.5kg

WILKS TOTAL 218

November 2013

BW 57.5kg

Squat 76.5kg (+6kg)

Bench 43.0kg (+0kg)

Dead 97.5kg (+27kg!!)

WILKS TOTAL 249.7

I’m completely pleased with my progress. The bench is a little disappointing but I was expecting it. Although I feel a lot stronger with bench these days and I know my form is 100% better than it was 5 months ago, the actual weight hasn’t gone up. It’s okay though, I’m going to start blasting bench from now on, as well as starting a daily pushup challenge. Also, winter is hitting me hard and my appetite has been out of control – which is fantastic. I’d love to put on another 5-10lbs before spring, even if some of it is cushion and not muscle.

Mostly I’m just super stoked about my deads and how much I killed squats today. Mostly I just love the gym and wish I could stay there forever and lift longer without having to compromise on my gains. Alas, 50 min in and out and then I’ve gotta rest up for next time.

Squat

6x65lbs

6x95lbs

6x115lbs

6x135lbs

6x145lbs

4x155lbs

3x155lbs (first three sets were supersetted with…)

Loaded Glute Bridge

3x10x45lbs

Trapbar Deadlift and Shrug

3x10x105lbs (superset with…)

Dumbbell Side Bend

3x10x45lbs

Leg Press

3x10x360lbs (superset with…)

Cable Rows

3x10x84lbs

Hi BodyByVi! I'm so glad you've found my posts helpful. I still feel like I'm learning so much and the information I've gleaned from these forums is invaluable.

I have no idea how I blasted through my session so quickly today, but somehow I was in and out in ~35 min and feelin pumped. I’m going to stop neglecting my upper body lifts as much as I have been in the past. True, they’re not as fun and don’t make me feel like as much of a raging superbeast, but they’re worthwhile. Today was OHP day!

OHP

6x45lbs

6x50lbs

6x55lbs

6x60lbs

3x65lbs

6x50lbs

Dumbbell Bench Press

3x10x25lbs (superset with…)

Preacher Hammer Curls (alternating)

10x20lbs

2x10x15lbs

Lateral Raise

3x10x10lbs (superset with…)

Tricep Pushdown

3x10x84lbs

Plate Front Raise

3x10x25lbs (superset with…)

Barbell Curl

3x10x45lbs

I switched up training for deads a little yesterday and did a bunch of heavyish-heavy singles and then threw a little volume on the end. For the last (volume) set I completely dropped the bar and re-set between each lift, but then pulled the bar right back up again without taking more than a second or so of pause. I got the idea from an article I read this past week, and I think that I liked it. I like the idea, and I felt it, and the burn was good, so maybe I’ll try it again next week.

I also did a bunch of rest paused squats yesterday. I had planned to do box squats but there was no box to be found, so I just took some loooong pauses instead. The first set I spent ten full seconds under weight for each rep before coming up. The second and third I dropped it to five seconds under weight. I kept breathing through the pauses. It felt like torture and was fantastic.

Scale showed 123 lbs this morning. Not pleased. I need to eat more.

Deadlift

10x45lbs

5x95lbs

3x115lbs

1x135lbs

1x155lbs

1x165lbs

1x185lbs

1x205lbs

1x215lbs

1x215lbs

1x205lbs

1x195lbs

18x165lbs

Rest Paused Squat

3x10x85lbs

Cable Row

10x84lbs

10x84lbs

10x77lbs (superset with…)

Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown

10x72lbs

10x72lbs

10x65lbs

I was burnt out at the end of this. Those deads and squats did me in. Still biked three miles home in the wind

In an attempt to get myself more excited about bench press… Today was bench press day! Yay!

In complete seriousness though I think my chest press is getting a little bit better. I had an insane pec pump after today’s workout, and I don’t usually get that. I debated going to the gym today because last night I stayed out late drinking with coworkers and I wasn’t sure that I would feel up to it enough for it to be worth it… but I’m glad I went in. It was one of those days where I was telling myself that I just had to show up. I just had to put on my gym gear. I just had to go and get under the bar. And I managed to surprise myself with how hard I was able to go today, even with poor sleep and nutrition for the past day or so.

I need to do more pushups.

Bench Press

10x45lbs

6x55lbs

6x65lbs

6x75lbs

3x85lbs

1x95lbs

1x95lbs

6x75lbs

OHP

3x10x50lbs (superset with…)

Barbell Curls

10x50lbs

10x55lbs

10x60lbs

Incline Dumbbell Flies

3x10x15lbs (superset with...)

Alternating Preacher Hammer Curl

3x10x15lbs

Machine Chest Press

10x60lbs

10x65lbs

10x70lbs (superset with…)

Machine Military Press

2x10x50lbs

Then I devoured an entire can of chickpeas for PWO nutrition. Now all I want to do is go home and cuddle up with my dogs and sleep. I need to rest up for tomorrow, when I’m gonna go hard as hell on some squats and try to put up some newer, shinier, bigger numbers.

Also, yesterday I registered for a dodgeball league as my birthday present to myself. I'm pretty stoked on it.

Monday's Session

OHP

6x45lbs

6x50lbs

6x55lbs

6x60lbs

6x65lbs

Incline Press

3x10x65lbs (superset with…)

Barbell Curl

10x60lbs

2x10x55lbs

Plate Front Raise

3x10x35lbs (superset with…)

Skull Crushersssssss

10x50lbs

2x10x45lbs

Dumbbell Lateral Raise

3x10x12lbs (superset with…)

Cable Curl

3x10x60lbs

Tuesday's Session

Deadlift

6x135lbs

6x155lbs

6x175lbs

6x185lbs

3x195lbs

3x205lbs

1x215lbs

1x220lbs** (new 1RM)

Squat

10x85lbs

2x10x95lbs (superset with…)

Cable Rows

3x10x84lbs

Leg Press

3x10x340lbs (superset with…)

Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown

3x10x77lbs

• 2 weeks later...

03Dec2013

one thing that needs changing is my caloric intake before and after workouts. when i switched to my new creatine powder a couple months ago, i began noticing a pretty sore stomach consistently after workouts. i chalked it up to the new powder and stopped drinking it. now i’ve been lifting creatine free for a few weeks and the sore stomach is still there after lifting. it is worse on back/leg days, presumably because my body is under more stress on those days. the only thing i can guess is that when i hit my lactate threshold the sore stomach is my body’s response, and maybe i should be eating a very small portion of fruit or something similar pre-workout to counteract this. any thoughts or suggestions? i do not feel like i encountered this with my previous creatine. perhaps i should switch back to the previous creatine that i was using pre-workout, as i never noticed sore stomach with that and was always ready to eat immediately after getting back into my lab. the biggest downfall of the sore stomach now is that it kills my appetite, making it very difficult to get in my recovery calories. it’s an extra bummer when my appetite is already as low as it has been. i continue to struggle with total intake lately.

in good news, my hands and grip are responding excellently to the switch from gloves to chalk. gettin callouses and i don’t miss the gloves. i love just feeling the bar in my hands now. a+.

OHP

10x45lbs

3x10x50lbs (superset with…)

Barbell Curl

10x45lbs

3x10x50lbs

Dumbbell Press

3x10x20lbs (superset with…)

Skull Crushers

3x10x40lbs

Front Plate Raise

3x12x25lbs (superset with…)