Hello from Tennessee

loubikes

Hello,

I'm a relatively new vegan (<2 years). Having a vegan girlfriend makes the lifestyle easier and we enjoy preparing healthy meals together.

I'm a healthy, active 61 year-old guy and former high school and college wrestler. Even so, I didn't take up weight lifting until about seven years ago. Sometimes the day after lifting, I get a painful, all-day headache. I wonder if others have had that experience and could provide some advice about avoiding the headaches.

Thanks!

Lou

Hi Lou, welcome to the forum. Great having you here and I hope you will enjoy looking around the different sections and posting more.

Two years vegan, that's fantastic. You must feel like you have a really good grip on your nutrition now. What are your favourite daily foods that you like to eat ~ I'm guessing your diet is quite different now compared to what it was before you made the transition? What caused you to change becoming vegan?

Not sure about the headaches, isn't something I have experienced. Wouldn't be anything to do with hydration? How much water do you typically drink in a day? Another thing it could possibly be related to is blood pressure, do you know what yours normally is?

Anyway, look forward to seeing you posting more around the board. Show the site to your girlfriend as well Lou, she might want to sign up too! Regards MF.

It's not that uncommon actually for people to get headaches after lifting or other sports due to intracranial pressure. I've meet quite a few athletes with this problem. Though I will say commonly the headache starts very soon after exercise. Some people it lasts 20 minutes others it can last over a day. It's more common in people over 40. I personally have mostly encountered people in powerlifting and running that have this problem.

I personally get them after long strenuous runs. I mostly just ignore them, but are just sort of nagging. They don't bother me a lot. I do a powerlifter that gets them and he just takes naproxen before he lifts to prevent them.

If you can talk to your doctor about them if that is indeed the type of headache you are having there are meds that will help.

Unfortunately I have not read or heard of a natural remedy for them.

And HELLO!

Mini Forklift and Kora,

Thanks so much for your welcoming words and advice.

As for my headaches: I'm pretty certain that I'm adequately hydrated before, during and after lifting. I've taken Advil as a pre-emptive tactic, but will try naproxen and see if I can locate Mygrafew at our local Earthfare.

Interesting, Mini Forklift, that you mention magnesium. My girlfriend (also a vegan) has suffered from migraines for years and found a reference to taking magnesium in her research. Since she started supplementing (300 mg of magnesium citrate daily), she hasn't had a migraine. I've been supplementing daily with magnesium, too, but to no avail after heavy lifting. I may just have to go to lighter weight and more reps unless or until I can find the magic.

Thanks, again! Nice to find this community of like-minded folks.

Lou

Favorite foods:

Tempeh "ribs" with BBQ sauce

Whole grain toast with peanut butter and warm baked tofu

Peanut butter and anything

Oatmeal with hemp seeds and flax seeds

Green smoothies

Kombucha

Roasted root vegetables

Veggie sushi

Seaweed salad

Kale, spinach, romaine