So had my first workout with John Martini last night, the first thing i noticed about him was his legs/calfs, unbelievable development!
John's keeping me on the same split routine, and exercises i already perform (due to my injury history), however he's really upped the intensity!!
1. Incline D-B Flyes, one set to failure + 3 forced reps
2. Seated Incline Press Machine, one set to failure + 2 forced reps + 2 negatives (with added back force)
3. Seated D-B Lateral Raise, one set to failure + 2 forced reps + 2 standing cheat reps
4. Seated Shoulder Press press, one set of failure + 2 forced reps
5. Triceps Press-down, one set to failure + 2 forced reps and one drop set
Done. 15 minutes of hell!!
For years i thought i was training in H.I.T, but i realize now i wasnt even close, this first workout has opened my eyes to the true meaning of the term H.I.T!
A few very good pointers John gave me-
1. On the shoulder press he had me perform the negative portion of the rep in superslow fashion, the difference it made was incredible, he explained that throwing a spanner in the works like that really gets the bodies attention.
2. Since i'm more focused on hypertrophy, he said to pre-exhaust every bodypart, he said starting each bodypart with a compound movement is great for strength, but for hypertrophy...pre-exhaust first (he himself pre-exhaust's everything, he said its made a huge difference).
Next workout wont be for 4-5 days, that'll be Back and Biceps...GULP:(
Heres a video of John, his 7-8 weeks out now from the Mr Universe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE_T5jNAZLA