Shelby's Bulking Journal

Hey!

Here is my Bulking Journal! My buddy, Bill, an ex-bodybuilder, is helping me out with spotting and forced reps. I'll be working out 5 days a week, mixing things up every week. I'll take the weekend off (which is going to be extremely tough for me, cuz I'm a total gym-rat!). No cardio, save for walking my dog.

Current stats:

Weight: 89

Height: 5'1

Measurements (as of 3/19/06): Biceps: 8" (9-1/4" flexed)

Thighs: 16-1/4" (16-1/2" flexed)

Calves: 11-3/4" (12" flexed)

Chest: 30-1/2"

Waist: 23-1/2"

Hips: 30"

:o( (yeah, posting these measurement is totally embarrassing, but I want to do it in order to compare my progress and growth). :o(

My goals:

-gain at least 1/2 to 1 pound per week

-Increase girth of arms and legs at least 2"

-Develop a V-taper and 6-pack

-Increase strength

-Be able to perform 5 chin-ups, unassisted

Today was Shoulders. It took less than 1.5 hours.

-Hammer Strength Iso-lateral Shoulder Press Machine: 60# (12), 65# (13), 65# (8)

-Superset: Seated DB Lateral Raises: 10# (12) (11) (10)

OH presses (Pronated): 20# (13) (12) (8)

-Smith Shoulder Press Behind the head: 20# each side (4) (7) (7)

-Cable Cross-overs: 10# each side (11) (9)

-Cable Upright Rows (EZ-Bar): 50# (18), 60# (12) (11)

-SUPERSET: DB Shrugs: 35# (18) 40# (12) (12)

Rear Delt DB Flyes (Supinated): 10# (12) (16) 12# (15)

-Rear Delt Machine (pronated): 25#+ 2 weight plates (10) (10) (10)

-Abs (2 sets): -Decline Bench Reverse Crunches- 30

-SB Oblique Crunches-30 each

NUTRITION

My goals are to increase my Kcals to at least 3000 and to up my protein to at least 150 or more, or at least 20%. I eat every 1-3 hours.

Today's totals:

Kcals: 2585

Protein: 114g (17.6%)

Fat: 71.5g (24.8%)

Carbs: 371g (57%)

Fiber: 40g (wow, that's low for me!)

Any input/comments are welcome and appreciated! Thanks guys!

Well, I've been where you are....a little on the thin side. Try to aim for at least 30%from fat ,20% protein and around 60% from carbs....you should (this is a generalisation from my observations with girls similar to your stats) be able to bulk up-build muscle quite readily as you should have shorter muscles compared to someone of taller stature.

Are your measurements in inches or cms????? I have a small frame, but built my back up (I'm an A cup -not very well endowed I'm afraid), but my chest measurements are 95cms. Less is more in my case as I'm a hard gainer.

I find compound exercises the best. You are also spending way too much time in the gym.....just my observation. You should be in and out within, no more than 45 mins. Heavy weights, really low reps. You are going to become catatonic if you continue, and all your efforts will be in vain.(this is from presonal experience and not having a go at your efforts).

Cheers

Charmaine

Are your measurements in inches or cms?????

Inches... omg, could u imagine what 8cm arms would look like? Scary! LOL!

You should be in and out within, no more than 45 mins.

I don't think I could fit everything in 45 mins! I am lifting heavy, and due to that fact, it takes longer than usual due to extra rest. If u know of a good 45min program, let me know!

Are your measurements in inches or cms?????

Inches... omg, could u imagine what 8cm arms would look like? Scary! LOL!

Believe me, I've seen it!!! I'l try and see what I can come up with (program wise). Won't be until next week some time.

My arms are only just over 10' (27cms-I think thats-right not really good at this metric conversion thing). But my arms are really long, longer than my arms!!!

I'll see what I can come up with by next week-just suggestions. Are you doing daily body parts, or splits?

Today was Quads and Biceps

Warm-up: 1/2mi walk on treadmill (4.3-4.5mph)

15 reps Olympic Bar Good AMs

-Olympic Bar Squats: 65 (11), 75 (15), 85 (8)

-SUPERSET: -Olympic Bar Squats: 95 (9), 100 (10), (8), (10), 115 (6)

-Incline Leg Press: 215 (9) (11) regular

215 (10) feet=narrow and high on sled

265 (10) regular

265 (10) regular + 215 (5) deep

(to stop and quickly back up)

215 (10) deep + 125 (6: unilateral and deep)

-DB Squats, butt touch bench: 40 (8), (10), (12), 45 (8) (9)

-DB Forearm curls: 10 (22), 15 (15)

-Olympic Bar Drag Curls: 16 reps

-SUPERSET: -Oly-Bar Drag Curls: 55 (8) + Oly-Bar Throw Curls: 55 (9)

-Drag curls: 55 (10)+ Throw Curls: 55 (8) +DB Curls: 12 (10)

-Oly-Bar Throw Curls: 55 (15)+DB Curls: 12 (12)

-Oly-Bar Throw Curls: 55 (12)+DB Curls: 12 (15)

ABS: 3 sets

SUPERSET: -Lower-abs butt-ups: 20 reps

-Bicycles: 20 reps

All of this in less than 2 hours (lots of rest inbetween). I lifted more than ever! Especially with squats and curls! WHOO-HOO!!!! :wohoo:

NUTRITION:

KCals: 2485

Protein: 114.5g (18.4%)

Fat: 75g (27%)

Carbs: 338g (54.4%)

Fiber: 41g

Edited by Shelby

Thanks Savebabe! I appreciate it!

I like to do splits.... idk what it best tho: to do one bodypart a day and just kill the heck out of it and let it rest until the next week, or do 2 a day, or do a full-body. I hear ALL sorts of theories and controversy... it's really hard to know what to do!

Hey shelby, looks like a tough workout

Yes, it was! I had tears in my eyes and I sounded like I was in labor, lol... it ROCKED!!!!!!

how deep do you squat?

I go as low as possible... at least to 90 degrees. Sometimes, I'll do deep 1/2 squats.. those are evil! Same goes for leg press... vary it up, even during a set.... it'll burn like a motha! LOL

Im wondering what's the idea behin supersetting squats and legpresses, squats are not hard enough for you ?

Supersetting squats and leg presses totally exhausts/fatigues the quads... it's awesome and very tough! It's a great way to bulk. Just be sure to recover enough b/4 going on to the next set. Try it.... it's intense!

Weighed myself yesterday: 90#!!! That's up 2 pounds within 1 week! YAY! Still gotta work on increasing the Kcals and protein though.

Today was Triceps, Hams, Calves

Warm-up: Cable Triceps Pressdowns (EZ-Bar): 50(20), 60(12), 70(12)

TRICEPS

-SUPERSET:

Cable Triceps Pressdowns (EZ-Bar) Narrow Grip:70(12), 80 (10), 80(10), 85(10).......... Widegrip: 85(8)

Cable Triceps OH Extensions (EZ) Narrow Grip: 50(14), 65(14), 60(8), 65(12)............. Widegrip: 65(11)

-Verticle Dips (Deep!!!): 6, 8, 10, 7

-SUPERSET:

EZ-Bar Skullcrushers (slight incline on bench): 40 (8) (9) (8)

Narrow Chest Press (slight incline on bench): 40 (8) (10) (9)

HAMSTRINGS/CALVES

-Seated Hamstring Curls: 60(15), 70(19), 100 (10), 100 (11)

-Partner assisted Prone Hamstring Curls (Lay on bench, partner holds towel around your ankle and tries to prevent u from curling your leg... tough, especially when ur partner is a bodybuilder!): 6 Unilateral, 12 and 8 bilateral

-Kneeling Hamstrings (this is insane and a total killer! Kneel on a mat, with ur partner holding down your feet. Hold a weight plate across your chest and lean forward as far as possible... this kills your caves, hams, glutes, and core!): 25(3)/0(7), 10 (10), 10(10)

-Standing (unilateral...duh, lol) Cable Ham Curls: 12.5kg(12), 17.5kg(15)

-Standing Straight-Leg Kickback (hams, glutes): 17.5kg(12), 22.5kg(10) (10)

ABS: -Supine Bench leg-lifts with DB: 5# (30 reps, 3 sets)

I did more weight than I've ever done before, so I'm SO excited about that! :o) Surprisingly, after yesterdays tough quad and bicep workout, I'm not the least bit sore.... grrrr.

NUTRITION

Kcals: 2690

Pro: 127g (18.8%)

Fat: 80g (26.7%)

Carbs: 365.5g (54%)

Fiber: 49g

YAY!!! I increased my cals and my protein! ROCK ON!!!!!!! :o)

Edited by Shelby

how deep do you squat?

I go as low as possible... at least to 90 degrees. Sometimes, I'll do deep 1/2 squats.. those are evil! Same goes for leg press... vary it up, even during a set.... it'll burn like a motha! LOL

As low as possible, sounds good to me .

But deep 1/2 squats? That combinatin doesnt really make sense, what do you mean by that?

Supersetting squats and leg presses totally exhausts/fatigues the quads... it's awesome and very tough! It's a great way to bulk. Just be sure to recover enough b/4 going on to the next set. Try it.... it's intense!

Hmm I probably wont try it, intensity techniques arent really my thing . Dont think they are very usefull for strength anyway.

But deep 1/2 squats? That combinatin doesnt really make sense, what do you mean by that?

You squat deep, but come up 1/2 way (no full extension), then go back down to a deep squat. It's awesomely painful!

Quote:

Hmm I probably wont try it, intensity techniques arent really my thing . Dont think they are very usefull for strength anyway.

They are good to do every once in a while... it's a good hypertrophy technique and will build strength b/c u need to be strong in order to tolerate the load of a compound set such as this.

REST DAY

Yes, I survived not going to the gym! Almost didn't make it, but I'm still here, alive and well! Phew! lol

I did some abs at home, took Simon on a short walk, and babysat my step-sis (that was a workout in and of itself!).

NUTRITION:

Kcals: 2500

Protein: 123g (19.6%) YAY! It keeps going up! SCORE!

Fat: 66g (23.7%)

Carbs: 353.5g (56.5%)

Fiber: 39g

I tried to eat a lot, even though I didn't work out.... I did better than I thought... I thought I would have been closer to 2000, but I managed to kick some food-booty! Rock on!

PLAN OF ACTION:

Tomorrow, I'm working out with Bill for Chest. Our goal this week is to do one body part per day and just kill the heck out of it. Despite my intense workouts this past week, I have NOT been the least bit sore... doesn't make sense, since I've been really killing it. Oh well, it just allows me to workout harder! I can't wait for tmw.... I LOVE the pain! muhahahahaha!!!!

The bad thing is that Bill starts up work soon (he works construction). And he works LONG hours, so he may not be able to help me as often anymore, or out workouts are going to be really sparatic (sp?) or at odd times. grrr..... I hope it doesn't interfere with anything!

Oh a good note: Lots of people have been noticing a change in my physique already! I'm SO excited about that! Not only are they noticing a change physically, but they say that I'm different as a whole (in a good way, lol). YAY! This is awesome! I can't wait to see how everything changes in the next few weeks/months!

Yay... I'm 20 today! :o)

Today was CHEST and it rocked! I lifted weights that I've never even thought I could lift, especially with the DB flyes! :o) (In fact, at the end of the last set, I dropped them and almost killed myself... thank god Bill was spotting me! LOL)

Warm-up: Weight-plate shoulder circles (2.5#, 10 reps each)

Decline Bench Press: 50(12), 55(13), 60(14), 70(9), 75(8), 75(10)

Flat Bench Press: 65(12), 70(7), (6), (8), (7)

Hammer Strength Incline Chest Press: 20#each (11), 30#each (10), (9), (8)

Decline DB Flyes (Neutral grip): 20(11), (10), 25(10), (10), 30(6), (7.5) <---thats the rep in which I almost dented my head, lol

Iso-Lateral Flat Chest Press Machine: 57# (25#WP on each side) (8) (7) (8) (8)

Low-high cable FLyes: 7.5kg on each side: (10) (8) (8)

ABS:

Reverse Crunches on Decline Bench: 31 (frog-style)

I'll post nutrition later.... But I ate NON-STOP! I was Hungry! :o)

Have to say though, that this is the first time I've looked at your log, and your routine is crazy. Way too much. Thats all I can say.

And I agree with Jon of course . I know you like the routine and dont want to change it, but I think the least you should do is keep your eyes very open for signs of overtraining.

jonathan wrote:

Have to say though, that this is the first time I've looked at your log, and your routine is crazy. Way too much. Thats all I can say.

And I agree with Jon of course . I know you like the routine and dont want to change it, but I think the least you should do is keep your eyes very open for signs of overtraining.

Yeah, it may seem like a lot, but it's not for me. And it's working wonders! I have yet to be sore, I've put on almost 5 pounds already, and almost everyday someone comments on the changes they see in me. Bill doesn't understand it either: I should be crying in pain from the soreness that should be induced and I shouldn't be able to lift the weights I am able to lift in comparison to my size. It doesn't make any sense to me, either, but I'm not complaining! I tend to get better results when I totally kill the muscle, as opposed to doing a set routine with a certain number of reps/sets/amount of weight.

If I start to feel like I'm overtraining, I'll cut back... but so far, so good!

Back Day!

Chin Assist Supinated-grip: 30(15), Bodyweight (8) (9) (8) (7) (I did most of the reps unassisted! YAY!)

Pull-ups (pronated) [free]: 6 (5 by myself!), 8, 8, 10, 7

EZ-Bar pull-overs [lean back as far as possible, ok to lift hips off bench]: 40(8), 30(8) (8) (7) (8)

T-Bar Row: 45(8) (10), 55(8) (8)

Lat Pull-Down (neutral): 90(8) (6) (6) (6)

Hammer Strenght Iso-Lateral High Row [flare out elbows]: 90 (10) (10) (10) (10) [45# weight plates on each side]

Good AMs [knees slightly bent]: 30 [EZ bar] (12), 45 [Oly-Bar] (6=1/2 way up, 6=full ROM) x3

ABS: Decline Bench Rev Crunches "frog style": 31

NUTRITION:

Cals: 2460

Protein: 128g (20.8%) YAY! Got to 20%!

Fat: 70.5g (25.7%)

Carbs: 328g (53%0

Fiber: 44g

Not as high as yesterday, so i gotta keep at it!

LEGS!!!!

Warm-up: Leg press: 115 (10-regular position), 115(13-toes pointed inward), 285 (13-feet high on sled, shoulder-width), 305 (5, 5-regular)

Smith Machine Squats [feet far forward]: 35#WP each (9-narrow) (9-shoulder width) (10 SW), 45#WP each (8-deep!) (6-deep!) (6-deep!), 50#WP each (6-deep!) (4-deep!)

Straddle Squats. THESE ARE AWESOME!!!!!: 95 (8e) (9, 8) (8e) (10e)

Hack Squats: 65 (8) (9) (8) (9)

Front Squats: 45 (8), 65 (10) (10)

Seated Ham Curl: 85 (10), 90 (10), 95 (9)

ABS: Decline Rev Crunches [frog style]: 31

NUTRITION:

KCals: 2620

Protein: 128g (19.5%)

Fat: 79.5g (27%)

Carbs: 348g (53%)

Fiber: 40g

This was an awesome workout! The focus was strength and power and I used weight that were so heavy that I definitely needed a spotter. I better be sore tmw! :o)

REST DAY

I took Simon for a long walk in the AM and he decided that it would be a great day to go swim in the pond.. that almost made me late to class b/c he got all muddy. Thanks, Simon. LOL.

NUTRITION:

KCals: 2540

Protein: 122g (19%)

Fat: 75.5g (26.7%)

Carbs: 343g (54%)

Fiber: 40g

Straddle Squats are AMAZING!!! It feels a bit awkward and looks kinda weird, but it works parts of your legs that u didn't know u had!

Use a free-bar (Olympic Bar) with weight plates on both sides. Place the bar on the floor, between your legs. Grab the bar with an underhand (supinated) grip in front of your body with your right hand, and in back of you body with your left. The bar will naturally turn to the right side. Stagger your stance a bit so that your right leg is a bit more forward than your left. Squat for desired reps and switch hand position to work the other leg. You'll also work your arms, shoulders, back, and core with this exercise.... it's amazing!

As for my hams, they were worked as I was doing all my squats, so I did some isolation work for them at the end. My quads need more work than my hams do right now, so I'm putting more emphasis on my quads. I usually split quads and hams, sometimes do them together... it just depends. I agree that I needed to do more ham work, but i was getting tired and spent too much time there as it was... plus, I was getting hungry.... so I skimped on the hams a bit. It's ok tho... I'll kill 'em next time!

Try the straddle squats though... they are awesome!!! I hope I described them well enough!

Shoulders, Calves, Abs

Warm-up: 5#WP Shoulder circumductions (forward 10, backwards 10)

-DB Arnolds: 15 (15), 20 (10), 25 (8) (8)<---spot on 25#

-Seated Lat Raises: 10(8) (8) (10) (10)

-Smith OH Press on SB: 10#each (10), 12.5#each(8), 15#each (10) (10) (spot on 15#)

-Cable Upright Rows: 50(10), 60(10), 70(9), 80(8) <--increased a lot!

-DB Shrugs: 45(13), 50(12), (12)

-Incline Bench Unilateral Lateral Raises: 8(10) (8) (8) (8)

-Seated Calf Raises: 150(8), 130(9) (9) (9)<---increased a lot!

-Standing Calf Raises: 115(18), 135(15) (20), 175(13) (12)

-Decline Bench Reverse Curls: 10(7) (7) (7/no weight 20)

-Decline Bench Sit-ups: 25(8) (10/no weight 28 + ab punches) (no weight 30)

NUTRITION:

Kcals: 2735

Protein: 135.5g (19.8%)

Fat: 85g (27.9%)

Carbs: 357g (52%)

Fiber: 41g