NEWBIE LOOKING FOR ADVICE!

danikajoy

Hello.

I am new to this site, eating clean and working out in general. I am tired of being unhealthy and ready to make a change.

I've never like eating meat - personally it has always made me feel quite ill. I read "Skinny Bitch" by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin a few years ago and have since been completely turned off of animal/animal products.

I would love some advice on how to eat to lose fat/gain muscle. How much carbs/fat/protein should I be eating in a day? What kinds of foods should I be eating? (I am intolerant to/foods containing tomatoes, potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, sugar, cocoa, caffeine, maple syrup, beets, walnuts, eggplant, green and black tea, squash, and cinnamon sucks I know.) I have started using Vega brand protein powder and like it so far - just a bit expensive. I buy vegetables and prefer to eat them raw, but can never get through all of them before they start to go bad.

I think my training schedule is alright. Some form of cardio every morning (should I eat breakfast before or after my cardio session?). Upper body training Monday & Thursday. Lower body training Tuesday & Friday. Break (or Zumba if I feel up to it) on Wednesday & Saturday. Yoga on Sunday. I'm not trying to bulk up and win a competition or anything. Just looking to lose weight and tighten up a bit. Advice?

If someone wouldn't mind answering my questions or if anyone has any advice for a newbie like me, I would be very grateful to read your responses.

Thank you!

PS - A bit about my body: I'm 5'5.5, 195 pounds, have a small body frame, weight is distributed evenly all around.

Hello.

I am new to this site, eating clean and working out in general. I am tired of being unhealthy and ready to make a change.

I've never like eating meat - personally it has always made me feel quite ill. I read "Skinny Bitch" by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin a few years ago and have since been completely turned off of animal/animal products.

I would love some advice on how to eat to lose fat/gain muscle. How much carbs/fat/protein should I be eating in a day? What kinds of foods should I be eating? (I am intolerant to/foods containing tomatoes, potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, sugar, cocoa, caffeine, maple syrup, beets, walnuts, eggplant, green and black tea, squash, and cinnamon sucks I know.) I have started using Vega brand protein powder and like it so far - just a bit expensive. I buy vegetables and prefer to eat them raw, but can never get through all of them before they start to go bad.

I think my training schedule is alright. Some form of cardio every morning (should I eat breakfast before or after my cardio session?). Upper body training Monday & Thursday. Lower body training Tuesday & Friday. Break (or Zumba if I feel up to it) on Wednesday & Saturday. Yoga on Sunday. I'm not trying to bulk up and win a competition or anything. Just looking to lose weight and tighten up a bit. Advice?

If someone wouldn't mind answering my questions or if anyone has any advice for a newbie like me, I would be very grateful to read your responses.

Thank you!

PS - A bit about my body: I'm 5'5.5, 195 pounds, have a small body frame, weight is distributed evenly all around.

For weight loss I would advise you to eat breakfast AFTER your morning cardio sessions, as your body is still in a catabolic state and while running your body will start to use more of your fat/muscle tissue for energy. You sound pretty physically active, so good job on that, as long as you're following a calorie restrictive diet I think you will do well losing weight. I don't think protein powders are necessarily for weight lost.

If you want to gain muscle, I would suggest doing it before/after shedding the excess fat. To gain muscle you need to consume more calories than you burn - so you won't lose any weight this way.

Hi and welcome! Great advice from vegan wulf. Beside that you don't need advice, all the information you need is here just browse the site. There are some great articles on the front page of the main site. The training journals are also great to get ideas from.

-Dylan