Vegan BRANDS of BCAA's

I feel like reviving this thread.

The BCAAs from TrueProtein are not vegan. Carl emailed me back today to say "the materials are synthetically derived, but are often derived from animal feathers and other animal byproducts".

ALLMAX Nutrition makes a BCAA that's labeled "100% Animal Free".

I just emailed Scivation to double check on XTEND. Update: Derek from Scivation says that "Xtend is 100% animal free."

Anyone know of any other vegan brands currently?

Bummer. I like ordering from TP and I've still got the bulk of the pound I ordered sitting on my fridge. I was just getting used the taste of bird marrow or whatever too Will be a while before I go thru it all, hopefully we can find a cheap alternative in the meantime. At least it looks like TP has already updated their product information:

"Vegan or Vegetarian Safe: This material is synthetically derived, but can often originate from animal byproducts"

I found this site, but the products they list seem to be either $$$ or australian.

Bummer. I like ordering from TP and I've still got the bulk of the pound I ordered sitting on my fridge. I was just getting used the taste of bird marrow or whatever too Will be a while before I go thru it all, hopefully we can find a cheap alternative in the meantime. At least it looks like TP has already updated their product information:

"Vegan or Vegetarian Safe: This material is synthetically derived, but can often originate from animal byproducts"

I found this site, but the products they list seem to be either $$$ or australian.

Yeah it's a total bummer. I have some from them I'll be using up while I search for a better replacement.

Xtend is 60% BCAAs, MRM BCAA+G is 83%. That puts them at the equivalent of $30/lb and $27.50/lb respectively if we ignore the other ingredients.

Hmm... looks like MRM uses Ajinomoto BCAAs: "L-leucine is produced via fermentation from carbohydrate sources. Ajinomoto manufactures L-leucine under cGMP conditions. L-leucine is 100% free of materials of animal origin, as are all Ajinomoto amino acids."

Protein Factory sells them straight for $30/lb.

Hi guys,

I believe Optimum nutrition and NOW foods both have vegan BCAAs. I take both. Great stuff. I particularly like NOW foods products for creatine and other aminos. Oh, and also malodextrin. I'm sure there are other brands out there. I'll do some more research...

Hi guys,

I believe Optimum nutrition and NOW foods both have vegan BCAAs. I take both. Great stuff. I particularly like NOW foods products for creatine and other aminos. Oh, and also malodextrin. I'm sure there are other brands out there. I'll do some more research...

Please let us know what they say. Based on earlier posts in this thread, neither of those brands are vegan as of October 2008, but that changes all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding ON's BCAA powder I got this from their customer afairs:

"No, unfortunately our BCAA powder is not vegan-friendly. We use individual amino acids in this product, not protein. It is not vegan since at least one of the aminos is animal derived."

So the answer is No, ON's BCAA powder is NOT Vegan.

I would like to know anyone can confirm if the BodyTech brand is vegan friendly:

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=VS-2042

They state it does NOT contain: Yeast, Corn, Wheat, Dairy, Fish, Preservatives, Artificial Colors or Flavors Added. Free Form Amino Acids.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks, sberla54. That's a useful list.

Best,

Heath

All i've found is this list from Vegan Strength: http://www.veganstrength.org/articles/vegan-strength-supplements/

I rely on that list and on what i've found on this topic.

I'm pretty sure that BCAA created with Ajinomoto and Kyowa method are vegan, because they should use only plant based sources....but i'm not 100% sure..