DrBro's lifting adventure

Hi everyone! I'm a long time lurker, but finally decided to become active in the community. I've been on and off lifting for ten months now, and now I'm ready to get serious. I'm using this journal to help me stay motivated, and to hopefully get some tips. I'm starting with the 5x5 stronglift routine as I'm a fairly weak guy, so I want to put on some real muscle. Here's my lifts for today...

Squats

5x3 61kg

5x2 70kg

Overhead press

5x5 30kg

Deadlifts

1x1 61kg

1x1 70kg

1x1 83kg

1x1 92kg

1x1 102kg

I've never had access to a gym, so I'm trying to find out what I can do while practicing good form.

Thanks for reading!

Cody

Edited by drbro1228

Last week/weekend was incredibly busy for me because of all the History papers that needed to be written, so I didn't get anymore time at the gym like I wanted to. I finally got back into the gym today and it felt really good. I've been slowly improving my form with every visit, but the downside is that I can't lift as much weight.

Bench

- 10x1 Warm-up set, just the bar

- 5x1 31kg

- 5x1 38kg

- 5x3 43kg(failure on last two reps)

Rows

- 5x1 29kg

- 5x1 34kg

- 5x1 38kg

- 5x1 43kg(form was really bad on the last set. Too much weight for me)

Squats

- 5x3 52kg

- 5x1 56kg

- 5x1 61kg

Squats felt really nice. I've been half-assing them up until now, so doing them correctly by going parallel really made the difference. I've also come up with some achievable goals to help me stay motivated...

Do 10 consecutive pull-ups(easiest goal)

Bench my own body weight(Hard goal)

And then there's my general intangible goal of having a defined chest with bigger arms

Thanks for reading, I'm off to study ancient Egypt for now.

-Cody

Managed to get to the gym today after History class; The Middle Ages really gets me fired up .

OH press

- 3x1 34kg. Too much weight for me, so I took off the 5's and finished the set

- 5x2 31kg

- 5x2 29kg

Squats

- 5x5 57kg

Deadlifts

- 3x1 61kg

- 1x1 70kg

- 1x1 83kg

- 1x2 102kg

As you can see, my lifts are still a bit sporadic. I'm still learning what my body is capable of, and what feels the best. Every time I go to the gym I learn something new about myself which is very exciting.

Have good day everyone! Time to eat lots and food, and read lots of Egyptian History

Are you a game of thrones fan as well? Looks like you have some consistency going in your workouts. Ever throw in something new so it doesn't feel stale?

Despite many people recommending the show, I've never seen an episode or read any of the books. Games of thrones actually came up briefly before a lecture, and it's actually based off some Western European clans, but I'm not sure who. As far as workouts go; I will be adding variation to my routine once I get comfortable.

The adding variation once you get comfortable sounds like a solid plan. Everyone always wants exact answers but the best advice is to listen to your body. Interesting fact on game of thrones, i have some googling to do now.

• 8 months later...