turning mrbear into a mountain!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alright MF yeh all good here thanks, not alot on for the weekend really gym tomorow morning and just relax then i think, had a heavy week in work...

you got anything exciting going on? yeah eastenders is still going, i dont watch the soaps but i remember dirty den im sure he got caught making a fool of himself (if u know what i mean) on a web cam a few years ago and the girl recorded it and sent it to the papers

Hey Mr Bear, good log. I guess you're pretty local to me if you went to Bodom, and are going to Amon Amarth. I'm tempted to go to Amon Amarth for Carcass as support.

Do you climb at boulders on Newport Road? I've always fancied going there, it looks great fun!

Rossco, was it the Save Your Breath gig that the floor collapsed? They're friends of mine and were telling me that the floor nearly collapsed at I think the Southhampton gig, perhaps Portsmouth? They had to evacuate the building.

Do you guys with tattoos ever enquire about vegan ink? I need more tattoo work done, but I've heard that the ink isn't vegan friendly. I wasn't vegan when I had my last ones done.

Do you guys with tattoos ever enquire about vegan ink? I need more tattoo work done, but I've heard that the ink isn't vegan friendly. I wasn't vegan when I had my last ones done.

My tattoo's vegan ink, done by a vegan. I heard something horrible about non-vegan inks being made from roasted animal bones but hope that's just exaggeration. If you ask some studios just use vegan ink, others will get them in for you, and some refuse altogether. All transfer paper used has lanolin in it though, so unless the tattoo's done freehand, it can never be properly vegan

Hey Mr Bear, good log. I guess you're pretty local to me if you went to Bodom, and are going to Amon Amarth. I'm tempted to go to Amon Amarth for Carcass as support.

Do you climb at boulders on Newport Road? I've always fancied going there, it looks great fun!

Rossco, was it the Save Your Breath gig that the floor collapsed? They're friends of mine and were telling me that the floor nearly collapsed at I think the Southhampton gig, perhaps Portsmouth? They had to evacuate the building.

hey Andi thanks for stopping by! nice to see a fellow welsh heavy metal head

im in anglesey in north wales so still a few miles from you! bodom was amazing, so were insomnium a really underrated band in my opinion! manchester academy i watched them, amon amarth and carcass are in the same place i think, havent had the tickets yet! i climb at 2 places here in anglesey but i haventbeen for a while as ive been creeping back into lifting weights after a few injuries!

ive never really thought about vegan ink to be honest, but i will look into it as im planning on having many more! enjoy the gig if u go mate!

My tattoo's vegan ink, done by a vegan. I heard something horrible about non-vegan inks being made from roasted animal bones but hope that's just exaggeration. If you ask some studios just use vegan ink, others will get them in for you, and some refuse altogether. All transfer paper used has lanolin in it though, so unless the tattoo's done freehand, it can never be properly vegan

interesting and bad at the same time its unbeleivable the amount of things that animal products are in its almost impossible to avoid these days! at least there are some people who make an effort! (us lot on veganbodybuilding!)

Thank you!!! I think you can yes. Are you after downloads or physical copies? I think our label put that album on itunes and amazon, but I've never really looked. You can get them directly from us at desecration.bandcamp.com though There's a free mix tape on there too which has songs from all our albums so far.

HIT upper body this morning, left it too late to do legs as it was before work.......

@ HIT-Rob hey mate if your passing by i was just wondering whether you think it matters what exercises you use with HIT style training? can things other than the big compound movements produce as good results in your opinion? im guessing that no matter what the exercise if you go to absolute 100% failure and almost death, then the muscle its working is going to grow? thanks in advance

Hi Mike,

Two words, static holds!! if someone said to me, your only allowed to train one way, for me it would be with static holds / max contraction training. When i get don training with my trainer i'll be returning to using them exclusively.

Reason - The fully contracted position (or the position of maximum motor arm) is the one position where all the available muscle fibers can be brought into play, that being true, the question can be asked, where is the merit of moving into or out of the one position? All it represents is a diminishing in muscle fiber recruitment.

Muscle fibers are recruited solely by the amount of weight they are made to contract against, this being the case, a full range of motion restricts you to using a much lighter weight than what you can maximally contract against.

Another benefit to training this way is that it minimizing wear and tear on the joints and connective tissues - as your not having to move through positions of disadvantaged leverage that a full range of motion has you do. This type of training is ideal for someone such as yourself who is exposed to a lot of wear and tear in your job.

Max Contraction Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekJtCzRnD7E

You do require two ingredient's though, a strong training partner to help you into the contracted position and machines with big weight stacks....

If you don't have access to the above, then i'd recommend something like pre-exhaustion, that is, an isolation movement for a given muscle group trained to failure, immediately followed by a compound movement trained to failure. You wont be able to use as much resistance on the compound movement after first pre-exhausted that given bodypart, however that wont matter, the main thing is you go to failure.

My trainer John Martini (current overall Mr N.I) has used this technique with amazing results over the last 2 years, he pre-exhaust's everything. He explained to me that using compounds first is more strength oriented, he went on to say its a low stress high intensity technique that is over time less stressful of the joints and connective tissues.

Anyway, hope this helps, if ya need me to elaborate more on anything just let me know:)

Best

Rob

interesting stuff there Rob, ive done quite a bit of pre exhaustion in the past and love it.........i think ill definately give static holds and max contraction a go though, i havent actually tried them so it will be interesting to see what happens! i love trying different things such as those. that totally makes sense about the full range of motion reducing the amount of weight you can use.........dying to get into the gym again now, thanks again for a interesting and thought provoking post, always much appreciated pal!

mike

Pleasure mate, I love ta talk training:)

Couple of things about static holds, there is a higher blood pressure increase with this type of exercise, so holds should ideally be held for short periods. what i will be doing is static rest pause training, 10 second holds followed by a 10 second rest pause's, repeated 2-3 times or until you reach a set were you cant hold the weight for 10 seconds. There's two benefits to rest pausing the holds, firstly it will stop your blood pressure from rising too high, as your releasing the contraction for short rest pauses, secondly it will help physiologically, rather the "waiting out" for a muscle to fail, the rest pause's physiologically break it up into smaller chunks.

Have your training partner/ or gym member on hand to help you into the fully contracted (which should be roughly 30% more than you would lift through a full range of motion).

Best

Rob

right time for some diet related stuff, normally i just eat and tweak as i go along but i would really like to maintain muscle and rip up a bit, the best results i seem to get are when i dont eat any fat......so my diet normaly looks like this :-

7.30am 3 bananas cup of oats scoop soy protein smoothie

10.00am soy protein shake

12.30pm soy protein shake

6.00pm 2 cups rice, tin of beans, some veg (2 cups before cooking)

weekends are the same except i eat some bread for breakfast with jam (along with the smoothie)

i weigh 88 fairly lean kilos but would like to get a little more ripped without losing muscle....... any suggestions/criticisms?

thanks ppl

Hi Mike,

Don't do anything too drastic man, as Ross would say...slow and steady win's the race. I'd suggest getting some more good fats in your diet, vary your diet, and always combined carbs with protein to minimize insulin production. Have your ever considered doing a bit of intermittent fasting? I've found it works great for dropping BF (and then some:)

Hope this helps

Rob