Rob's High Intensity Training Log

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome viewing MF:)

Something i only recently found out about that H.I.T dvd, it was filmed all in one day, Poor Markus (bodybuilder in the dvd), 3 H.I.T workouts in one day with MM and RM lol.

I've spoke with Markus Reinhardt a couple of times last year, nice guy, he's been running his own H.I.T facility in Vegas, he's still very advocating the Mikes training methods and nutritional recommendations, ie high carb / lowish protein approach.

Recently i was using a lowish carb approach myself, but i was suffering with headaches and low on energy, so i switched back to a higher carb intake, just utilizing intermittent fasting, works well for me. I notice from you pic's you maintain a nice level of leanness year round no matter what your focus is, what sort of nutritional plan do you go with? or do you believe in just good quality foods / well balanced diet?

Was feeling pretty good today, so i went for a leg session tonight with ma trainer...

Warm-up 2 sets of 8-10 reps on the seated Leg Press

1. Seated Leg Press - stack (250kgs) x 14 reps to failure

one minute rest then

Tri-set...

2. Leg Extension static hold - 120kgs x 49 seconds

immediately followed by

3. Static Squat - BW + 20kgs x 25 seconds to failure

immediately followed by

4. Seated Leg Press - 125kgs x 17 reps to failure

one minute rest

5. Standing Calf Raise - 110kgs x 11 reps to failure, followed by a 10 second rest pause then a static hold to failure

Done! 15 minutes of pain

One of the toughest leg workout I've ever done, after training to failure on the leg press and static failure on the leg extension, the static squats were really "pleasurable"...not, and the icing on the cake was being put back on the leg press machine to completely wipe the legs out.

The static squats were preform using a dipping belt, the chain of the belt is attached to the frame of a machine and you sit back into the squat, never experienced anything like it. I was shaking like a leave lol.

I decided i wouldn't be embarking on any more directed hamstring work, i feel they are sufficiently stimulated from the weighted back extension, leg presses, and now static squats.

Taking a week off training now, let my bodies bio-chemical resources regroup, and i be back too it next Monday for another 15-20 minutes of pain, looking forward to it already

Sounds good my man. Hey I'd be keen to know what you think of this, it was probably the most intense set of leg presses I have ever done. I threw up right afterwards. I had squatted before this (I believe my last set was 150kg for a double), but this finished me off. Notice my training partner adding extra resistance at the start, initial goal was 12 reps but we kept on going. I need to find this kind of intensity without fear again !!

Superb effort, especially after heavy ass squats...(i see your training partner enjoyed your discomfort too:)

I also become apprehensive before such a workout...It takes a lot of courage to train with such intensity on visit to the gym, these is my way of dealing with it...

About an hour before my workouts i begin to mentally prepare for whats in store. I'll do that by going to a separate room in the house were i can be alone, sometimes i watch a video that motivates me, or put on music the gets me going, when i get to the gym my focus is even sharper, tunnel vision, i gaze at the floor, i pace up and down saying things to myself like KILL, KILL, KILL (i tried "nothing but a peanut", didnt work for me lol).

By the time i get to my heavy sets, i'm so tuned in, literally all i can hear is the voice on my trainer coaxing me on, "DRIVE", "UP UP UP", "DIG DEEP", "STILL STRONG". For me this is were i need to be for such training, i couldn't train the way i do if i didn't use this mentally driven approach.

Best

Rob

Cheers Rob. With regards to what I eat, I just tend to eat when I'm hungry and it's all high quality, clean foods. I have a natural tendency to remain lean, probably partly genetics and also my endurance sports background. Cheers MF.

Awesome stuff, cant bet good clean whole nutrient dense plants foods:)

Best

Rob

Back to training today after a 7 day layoff...

Workout was...

1. Incline D-B Flyes

75kgs (total weight) x 10 reps to failure + 2 forced reps

Immediately followed by...

2. Hammer Incline Press

145kgs x 3 reps to failure + 2 forced reps and 2 negatives

1 minute rest, then...

3. Machine Lateral Raise

80kgs x 2 static holds to failure

immediately followed by...

4. Smith Machine Shoulder Press

90kgs x 5 reps to failure + 2 forced reps

one minute rest, then...

5. Rope Press-down

14/15 plates x 7 reps to failure + 2 forced reps

6. Chest Press Machine (close grip)

140kgs x static hold to failure

Another good brief and intense workout, felt much better today after 7 days off. So the plan moving forward is to continue with the 3 way split routine, with the same level of intensity and with the same amount of volume, however each cycle of the 3 way split will be over a 2 week period (4-5 days between workouts).

some impressive weights there big Rob!

Hey Mike:)

Getting there mate, am really pleased with my rate of progress at the moment, my trainer John has been a tremendous help, there's only so far you can go by yourself, a good trainer or training partner can really make a difference.

Awesome stuff, cant bet good clean whole nutrient dense plants foods:)

Damn straight, you got that right !!

Does your diet and/or food intake vary much between your off days and the days where you train Rob

Hi MF,

Not really mate, pretty much the same at the moment, most days i tend to eat thought an 8 hour feeding window every day, in that time i gobble down 3 big ass meals, i don't bother to count calories or grams of this or that, but i do vary what i eat.

I tend to train at around 6-7pm at the moment, so i've always have a couple of good meals in me, then after training i normally wait an hour or so, then chomp down another big meal.

Was feeling good-ta-go today, so we h.i.t it...

Back - Rear Delts - Biceps

1. Fixed Pulldown - 110kgs x 6 reps + immediate drop set @ 75kgs x 7 reps to failure + 2 forced reps

2. One Arm D-B Row (to the hip) - 50kg x 8 reps + 3 half reps to failure

3. Rear Delt Machine - 75kgs x static hold to failure + drop set @ 55kgs x 6 reps to failure

4. Biceps Machine - 70kgs x 5 reps + 2 forced reps to failure + static hold to failure

5. Weighted Back Extension Bw + 20kgs x 14 reps to failure

14 minutes of pain, love every minute!!

Just in case you miss it on my log Rob...

Some great lifting MF:)

Hey, been meaning to ask ya something, i'm not big on supplements, however my trainer has been going on in my ear to take a protein supplement (at least for post-workout), when i was a vegetarian i used whey (briefly), but since becoming vegan i've not yet tried any vegan protein supplements, i notice you use a couple of different one's, in your experience, what would be the best quality V protein supplement?

Thanks

Rob

Thanks Rob. Yeah, I've tried quite a few and I've settled on one (for now) which I have been using for the last few months. Covers all of your nine essential and non-essential amino acids and it tastes great ~ which incidentally is why I'm not using SunWarrior anymore. Comparing the two of them, the Clean Lean Protein is naturally a little sweeter, mixes a lot easier and tastes smoother; SunWarrior is a little grainer and just seems quite bland in comparison. Having said that I do really like the nutritional panel of it and I don't doubt its' high quality, the taste just isn't for me though

http://www.vitalhealthnz.com/uploads/84641/images/297868/CLP-grass.jpg

http://www.nuzest.co.nz/clean-lean-protein

Hi MF,

That's awesome, thank you, I'll contact them to see if they ship to the UK, i see i'll look around for pea protein here, if push comes to shove, i'll get the sunwarrior, perhaps some coconut oil or some peanut butter schaffed in will help the texture situation. I'll let ya know how i get on mate:)

Cheers Rob

Just back from the gym...

Leg day:(

Warm-up - 2 sets of Seated Leg Press

Tri-set

1. Lying leg curl

70kgs x 21's - 7 (contracted half), 7 (stretched half), and 6 full ranges reps to failure

2. Leg Extension (static hold)

130kgs x 36 seconds to static failure

3. Seated Leg Press

250kgs x 12 reps to failure

0ne minute rest, then..

4. Standing Calf Raise

110kgs x 14 reps to failure + 3 forced reps

That's all she wrote, the tri set for the thighs was something else to say the least:)

Post workout meal - chick pea's, whole grain rice, and vegetable's - clean, clean, clean

Hit chest - shoulders and triceps tonight...

Went as follows...

Chest

1. Incline D-B Flyes

80kgs (total) x 6 reps + 2 forced reps to failure

2. Hammer Chest Press

150kgs x 2 reps + 2 forced reps to failure

one minute rest, then...

Shoulders

3. Machine Lateral Raise

90kgs x static hold to failure (23 seconds)

4. Smith Machine Shoulder Press

90kgs x 5 reps to failure + 2 forced reps

one minute rest, then...

Triceps

5. Triceps Press-down

Stack + 20kgs x 11 reps to failure

6. Machine Chest Press

150kgs x static hold to failure (20 seconds)

Including a couple warm-up sets, then workout was completed in just over 14 minutes. Me muscles are toast!!

try myprotein.co.uk too Rob, im pretty sure they would ship to you, they have a few kinds of vegan protein including pea, rice, soy, hemp etc......

mike

+1! I would suggest you don't click the option where they email you what offers are on though.. You get at least 1 email every single day and they're almost always offers on whey protein..

Back & Biceps workout today

1. Underhand Chins

BW - 15kgs of assistance x 7 reps + one static hold to failure

2. One Arm D-B Row

50kgs x 10 reps + 2 half reps to failure

3. Biceps Machine

85kgs x static hold to failure

That's all she wrote, a mere 9 minute workout. My trainer was unable to make today's workout, so i reduced the volume of the workout. I plan on using just 3-4 set workouts again, this seems to be my optimal, these 5-6 sets workouts I've been performing of late is not producing additional gains, if anything there just digging a deeper hole into my recovery. MM said volume was a negative factor, by jove he was right.

31-10-13

Leg Workout...

1 Leg Extension

140kgs x rest pause static holds to failure

2. Seated Alternate Iso Leg Press machine (plate loaded)

120kgs per leg x 10 reps per leg to failure

3. Lying Leg Curl

70kgs x 21s - 7 reps (contracted half), 7 reps (bottom half), and then 8 reps full range to failure

4. Standing Calf Raise

120kgs x rest pause static holds to failure

4-11-13

Chest - Shoulders - Triceps

1. Incline D-B Flyes

80kgs x 7 reps to failure

2. Hammer Chest Press

150kgs x 2 reps to failure

3. Machine Lateral Raise

90kgs x rest pause static holds to failure

4. Triceps Press-down

Stack +20kgs x 13 reps to failure

Due to being more tired from working longer hours this weather, me and my trainer both agreed it was best for me to stop at failure, as well as that, we've reduced my volume a little too.

Yesterday was a fasting day, so today i scaffed...

Breaky

Large bowl of oats, 2 banana's, protein shake with coconut oil

Lunchkens

3 burrito's filled with mixed bean's and avocado salad (with hemp seed oil) + a tub of blueberries

Mid afternnonish

home made almond butter on 4 rice crackers, and 2 pears

Din Din's

Indian chickpea & vegetable curry, with coconut milk, on a bed of brown rice. (thank you Jamie Oliver:)

31-10-13

Leg Workout...

1 Leg Extension

140kgs x rest pause static holds to failure

2. Seated Alternate Iso Leg Press machine (plate loaded)

120kgs per leg x 10 reps per leg to failure

3. Lying Leg Curl

70kgs x 21s - 7 reps (contracted half), 7 reps (bottom half), and then 8 reps full range to failure

4. Standing Calf Raise

120kgs x rest pause static holds to failure

4-11-13

Chest - Shoulders - Triceps

1. Incline D-B Flyes

80kgs x 7 reps to failure

2. Hammer Chest Press

150kgs x 2 reps to failure

3. Machine Lateral Raise

90kgs x rest pause static holds to failure

4. Triceps Press-down

Stack +20kgs x 13 reps to failure

Due to being more tired from working longer hours this weather, me and my trainer both agreed it was best for me to stop at failure, as well as that, we've reduced my volume a little too.

140kg leg extension static holds, and the stack and more on pressdowns!!!!! and people say HIT doesnt work