turning mrbear into a mountain!

Rob to the rescue again would i have to drop some calories from somewhere else if i started to eat some more fat? i have thought about IF after reading your posts in another topic but i seriously love eating and doubt it could do it i have to restrain my self all day every day from stuffing my face, i can eat like 9 baked potatos a tin of beans in one sitting then eat again no problem so i dont know if i could not eat for so long. what kinda good fats do you incorporate into your diet Rob?

thanks

mike

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rob to the rescue again would i have to drop some calories from somewhere else if i started to eat some more fat? i have thought about IF after reading your posts in another topic but i seriously love eating and doubt it could do it i have to restrain my self all day every day from stuffing my face, i can eat like 9 baked potatos a tin of beans in one sitting then eat again no problem so i dont know if i could not eat for so long. what kinda good fats do you incorporate into your diet Rob?

thanks

mike

LOL, sorry just love talking training, diet and what have ya:)

I know what ya mean about IF, for the first few times you really need to be in the zone, but when your body begins to adapt its actually not that bad. perhaps the leangains approach would be better for you, daily 16hr fasts with an 8 hour feeding window. Just a thought:))

For fats I use coconut oil, hemp-seed oil, flaxseed oil, nuts, avocado's etc, they play a big role in getting leaner and hormone production.

thanks

mike

LOL, sorry just love talking training, diet and what have ya:)

I know what ya mean about IF, for the first few times you really need to be in the zone, but when your body begins to adapt its actually not that bad. perhaps the leangains approach would be better for you, daily 16hr fasts with an 8 hour feeding window. Just a thought:))

For fats I use coconut oil, hemp-seed oil, flaxseed oil, nuts, avocado's etc, they play a big role in getting leaner and hormone production.

lol i meant it in a good way dont worry, its great having a online coach! right im going to try this fat thing even though i dont like eating it, ill get some of the products you mention and add them in really slowly and see what happens..........the 16 hour/8 hour waydoesnt sound too bad atleast i could eat when i was in work then as i hate having a break and everyone is eating after working hard and im just sat there lol.......why is getting ripped so hard

maybenot my friend, hows things?, the shake i get isnt too bad its unflavoured and unsweetened and i just have it in either smoothies or with a little fruit juice and a load of water and drink it in one. hows the diet working for you?

Things are fine, lots of hours studying and working a full-time job.

The diet is working great for me, I'm eating my maintenance calories (or slightly below) everyday except tuesdays and thursdays.

Tuesdays and Thursdays I only drink protein shakes until 8pm and I don't train. Unflavoured, unsweetened mixing just with water soy shakes. Like I said, the taste is awfull! I consume way below my maintenance calories during these two days and lots of vitamin C to prevent catabolism.

It's like a simplified version of the carb cycling diet.

Managed to lose 2.5kg (5.5lbs) during these first two months doing it.

I measured my arms, legs, chest and waist and it showed that I didn't lose arms and legs measures, lost 3cm waist and 2cm chest.

I'm quite happy with the results and I'm continuing the diet, but now I'm doing a 20 minute fast paced walk after my workouts to keep the same speed of fat loss.

nice, sounds like things are going well for you down in brazil then! if you keep all your new muscle and get lean youll have an impressive physique! whats the weather like with you at the moment?!

does viitamin c help with preserving muscle does it? lol vegan protein shakes are never good on their own, my fave one to do with soy is a few bananas, some oats and some peanut butter and i feel like a treat i throw in some really dark brown sticky sugar!

is peanut butter a "good" fat?

i have no idea the calories im eating lol i HATE counting macros with numbers etc i must just be lazy in that department, i just add or take away little things if dont feel tight enough etc...........going do what big HITrob says tho i think and add some more good fats in and decrease sugars i think, plus heavy weights and a little cardio who knows maybe ill lean up with out getting skinny like i usually do lol good luck with the diet maybenot

Peanut butter (if is made of pure peanuts - no oils/sugars/other stuff added) is a great source of fat. Besides peanut butter some fats containing omega 3 6 and 9 should be consumed, like olive oil and linseed oil(or flaxseed)

Try to use cronometer.com to count calories, it should ease up the process a little. Aim for 1g of fat per kilo of bodyweight.

Vitamin C decreases cortisol excess caused by the training and dieting, so it helps to prevent catabolism.

Sugar is banned from my cutt diet =) It is easily stored as fat.

Weather in brazil... summer is coming, temperatures ranging from 15 to 25 degrees Celsius ( 59 to 77 farenheit).

Nice sunshine during the day, the sun rises here close to 7am and sets close to 7pm

I really can`t complain. Best time of the year, winter is too cold/rainy and summer is too hot.

About the impressive physique remember, it`s been only 10 months of training so far ( started in january ). The impressive part is coming only by the end of next year I guess =)

At least I had an impressive change on my body =)

It's nice read about your diet!

Mine it's a little bit confusing.... I like banana and avocado for breakfast, with a shaker of protein (hemp in this period) melted with soy milk.

I have another one shaker of protein and maltodextrin before the gym, vegetables with legumes immediately after.

At the moment my weight it's about 61 kg. I'm an hard gainer (maybe because I do a lot of fitness on the bike)...but when a try to eat a lot to gain weight, usually increase only my belly!!

thanks for stopping by grangi71, when i used to cycle alot i found it really hard to put weight on also, but i was very lean. diet is the most confusing part of fitness, what works seems to vary so much with each person. just got to keep experimenting i suppose

Peanut butter (if is made of pure peanuts - no oils/sugars/other stuff added) is a great source of fat. Besides peanut butter some fats containing omega 3 6 and 9 should be consumed, like olive oil and linseed oil(or flaxseed)

Try to use cronometer.com to count calories, it should ease up the process a little. Aim for 1g of fat per kilo of bodyweight.

Vitamin C decreases cortisol excess caused by the training and dieting, so it helps to prevent catabolism.

Sugar is banned from my cutt diet =) It is easily stored as fat.

Weather in brazil... summer is coming, temperatures ranging from 15 to 25 degrees Celsius ( 59 to 77 farenheit).

Nice sunshine during the day, the sun rises here close to 7am and sets close to 7pm

I really can`t complain. Best time of the year, winter is too cold/rainy and summer is too hot.

About the impressive physique remember, it`s been only 10 months of training so far ( started in january ). The impressive part is coming only by the end of next year I guess =)

At least I had an impressive change on my body =)

ok thanks for the tips mate ill go and get some healthy peanut butter today! maybe and avacado or 2 like grangi said aswell! i didnt know that about vitamin c, thats on the shopping list too lol

weather sounds good down there mate, its not nice up here pouring with rain and windy.....pretty cold too!

just keep training and eating healthy and the impressiveness will follow

nice, sounds like things are going well for you down in brazil then! if you keep all your new muscle and get lean youll have an impressive physique! whats the weather like with you at the moment?!

does viitamin c help with preserving muscle does it? lol vegan protein shakes are never good on their own, my fave one to do with soy is a few bananas, some oats and some peanut butter and i feel like a treat i throw in some really dark brown sticky sugar!

i have no idea the calories im eating lol i HATE counting macros with numbers etc i must just be lazy in that department, i just add or take away little things if dont feel tight enough etc...........going do what big HITrob says tho i think and add some more good fats in and decrease sugars i think, plus heavy weights and a little cardio who knows maybe ill lean up with out getting skinny like i usually do lol good luck with the diet maybenot

Am not again counting macro's myself Mike, counting calories in vs calories out is important only to a certain point. For pure fat loss (and muscle retention) Setting up the proper hormonal environment is imo the most important thing. When you do that, everything just fall's into place.

That's the same for me grangi71, I've always struggled to gain weight (currently 67kg at 5'11"), and when I made a conscious effort to try and hit 3000 calories a day whilst doing stronglifts I did gain weight, but mostly fat around my gut.

Since going vegan I've lost the fat around my gut, thankfully, but I still really struggle to put weight on and hit a decent amount of calories. I think that we share the same problem in that we're doing too much cardio, you on the bike, and me in crossfit classes, but to be honest I enjoy crossfit so much I wouldn't want to stop, and I think you and I probably just need to eat a lot more to compensate. Perhaps cut out one thing at a time from your diet and see if something is bloating you.

Am not again counting macro's myself Mike, counting calories in vs calories out is important only to a certain point. For pure fat loss (and muscle retention) Setting up the proper hormonal environment is imo the most important thing. When you do that, everything just fall's into place.

hey Rob, i dont know why ive just never been into counting the numbers, i just hate turning my meals into a maths class lol i know where iam with my eating now, as in im fairly lean and can maintain the little muscle i have......so just making small tweaks here and there like you suggest with the fats and so on and i should hopefully keep progressing.......thanks for your and everyone else who has posted in heres help its very much appreciated does eating fat actually help with lubrication of your joints like people say in your opinion Rob?

I agree with you...and I don't like to weigh the foods too!

I tried in the past but it was stressful, even if a I know a lot of guys that use the powermeter (i'm talking about training on the bike) to calculated the calories burned, and then take only those needed.

Not for me....

does eating fat actually help with lubrication of your joints like people say in your opinion Rob?

Yes, Omega 3 fats are great for the joints.

Vegan sources would be flaxseed oil, linseed oil and olive oil among others ( flaxseed would be the best one ).

One or two tablespoons a day should do the trick.

does eating fat actually help with lubrication of your joints like people say in your opinion Rob?

Yes, Omega 3 fats are great for the joints.

Vegan sources would be flaxseed oil, linseed oil and olive oil among others ( flaxseed would be the best one ).

One or two tablespoons a day should do the trick.

and it definitly wont be stored as fat on my body?

lol, sorry, i meant to say in that last post am not into counting calories myself Mike, i feel the same way about it as yourself. It my believe that those who take the time to weigh, cook and prepare several formal sit down meals a day, as well as counting every gram of this and that, these people are no longer treating food as a basic need, their treating it as a morbid obsession.

When am on my lunch breaks at work, there's a few groups of woman in the canteen who talk about nothing only slimming world and weight watchers, the weigh out everything, they count every "syn" or "point" or "calorie", they weigh themselves every week etc, they even have counters that count every step the take. Guess what, they've been doing this for years and their still overweight/obese. From an evolutionary pov, if counting calories in vs calories out was so important, we would never have made it as a species.

Yes good fats will help the joints, moreover they play many more important roles in our overall health, fats have been demonize in recent years, however without valid reason. There called essential fatty acids for good reason's:))

That's the same for me grangi71, I've always struggled to gain weight (currently 67kg at 5'11"), and when I made a conscious effort to try and hit 3000 calories a day whilst doing stronglifts I did gain weight, but mostly fat around my gut.

Since going vegan I've lost the fat around my gut, thankfully, but I still really struggle to put weight on and hit a decent amount of calories. I think that we share the same problem in that we're doing too much cardio, you on the bike, and me in crossfit classes, but to be honest I enjoy crossfit so much I wouldn't want to stop, and I think you and I probably just need to eat a lot more to compensate. Perhaps cut out one thing at a time from your diet and see if something is bloating you.

Hi Andi,

yes it's hard to gain weight( and muscle)!!

Starting from the bottom of your post, it's a good tip looking for that foods that can bloating me. Like pasta...even if I'm italian I dont' eat a lot of it, I prefer potatoes, spelt, barley, wild rice.

Maybe to much fruits? I eat a lot during the day, especially apple!

and it definitly wont be stored as fat on my body?

It is the same as protein. Protein is used by your body to build muscle, skin tissue, nails, hair etc. The excess is stored as fat(energy).

The fat you consume will be used to balance your hormones, digest vitamins, produce EPA and DHA(good for the joints and heart), etc.

The excess will be stored as fat!

That's the reason the recommendation is 1g/kg of bodyweight. Enough fat will even promote fat loss, because your hormonal levels will always be in balance.

yeh mate this place was crazy yesterday, good though i love chatting and learning from everyone!

my workouts are pretty simple really mate, and im keeping the reps quite high at the moment cuz i love the pump from it! i normally do a few sets of dumbell lateral raises and pec dec to start with just to warm up my shoulders a bit.

then i do :-

upright machine bench press

supported bent over rows (got a brilliant machine in the gym with a pad for your chest)

millitary press

cable tricep pressdowns

cable bicep curls (standing quite far back from the machine so the cable is on an angle and you get a much better contraction at the top)

leg press

leg extensions

thats the basic thing im doing at the moment, 1 do one warm up set on each then one all out set to total failure, like where you cannot move anything a single mm more, then i keep pushing till it feels like im about to die from the pain haha, then just enough rest between exercises to set up the next one and then off you go again...........sometimes ill do rest pause, for example go to total failure, then rest 10seconds and go again to failure. and sometimes ill do supersets by doing another exercise for the same muscle with no break...for example......do a set to failure on upright bench press then jump straight on the pec dec and go to failure again. i want to start doing some of the techniques that HITrob has been talking about like static holds and so on too it looks simple but if you go to absolute 100% failure it hurts and works .......

Mr Dorian Yates, doing some HIT training

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2PCH9NxgNQ

When am on my lunch breaks at work, there's a few groups of woman in the canteen who talk about nothing only slimming world and weight watchers, the weigh out everything, they count every "syn" or "point" or "calorie", they weigh themselves every week etc, they even have counters that count every step the take. Guess what, they've been doing this for years and their still overweight/obese.

recognisable

Good Stuff Mike:) Its always a good idea to Finnish a full body workout with legs since they take a lot out of ya when you start with them. I used to do something very similar myself, it was-

Incline Hammer Press or Machine Dips

Underhand Pulldown or Chest Supported Hammer Row Machine

Machine Lateral Raise (static hold or 1 1/4 reps)

Leg Press or Leg Extension / Curl combo)

Standing Calf Raise or Seated Calf Raise

Alternated the movements on each workout, no direct arm workout as the first two movements covered them, trained once every 4-5 days, worked really well. Wouldn't rule out training for periods that way again.