It Just Never Worked Out

I have been overweight from birth. I was born a month late at 10lbs 10oz. I have never been successful in working out. I used to join the gym and quit after a month with no thought about cardio or nutrition. Something had to give so I stopped eating meat in 2011 and became vegan in October of 2012. I have lost 60 lbs from making healthy food choices alone since I graduated high school at 320lbs in 2009. Fast forward to now: I am 260lbs. I started interval jogging in August. I can jog without stopping for 30 minutes for the first time in my life. I joined planet fitness two weeks ago. After a lot of reading on this forum and scoobysworkshop.com I started a full body work out routine on monday.

This is my fitness journal and I will continue to do this for as long as it takes to be where I want to be.

My personal goals are to get rid of my man boobs, flatten my stomach and be strong.

Here I am.

297690571_before1.jpg.a24a8ff875df959ac9c11778a3bab3df.jpg

525578730_before2.jpg.3a5441eece55dcc5366d40adad0ad47f.jpg

1928450928_before3.jpg.9d9bc227db6f618e42bf495d23fe7862.jpg

Here is my workout routine suggested from Scoobys Workshop

pushups 3 sets 8-15 reps

dumbbell flys 3 sets 8-15 reps

pullups 3 sets 8-15 reps

dumbbell rows 3 sets 8-15 reps

crunches 3 sets 8-15 reps

barbell curls 3 sets 8-15 reps

dumbbell french press 3 sets 8-15 reps

side raise 3 sets 8-15 reps

alternating dumbell press 3 sets 8-15 reps

lunges 3 sets 8L & 8R

20 minutes cardio run or bike

I've been reading other's nutrition plans and kinda winging it but staying around 35% protein/20% fat/45% carbs a day

I am totally open to suggestions. Thanks for reading and please keep up as I do this!

20 minutes cardio

Side raise 3x10 15lbs

Dumbbell curls 3x10 20lbs

Dumbbell flys 3x10 20lbs

Dumbbell rows 3x15 20lbs

Dumbbell French press 3x8 20lbs

Alternating dumbbell press 3x8 15lbs

Lunges 3x8l 3x8r 15lbs

Push ups 3x10

Pull-ups assisted 130lbs 2x10

Crunches 3x15

Will be doing this again on Friday. I'm doing 20 minutes of cardio a day.

hey man nice black flag tattoo

and congratulations for your decision, what about posting your meals so people can maybe give you more tips?

where did you take that schedule of exercises? it doesnt look so bad but i dont see the most important exercises especially for the legs. i am following a really good list of exercises that change everymonth from the reps to the kinds

if you want to see it let me know i will copy it here.

All I can say dude, is fuck yeah on your decision to become vegan. Keep it up, and you will definitely see progress; but make sure to acknowledge your success so far!

There are a lot of great resources on this forum, so if you get bored with your routine, check out what some of the others are doing. Variety definitely keeps things interesting.

Best of luck!

What are you typically doing for your 20 minute cardio sesh? Also I like how you have lunges in there. Ever do squats? I just took a exercises for snowboarding course and learned wall squats. Seems to be important to making the body strong to be able to do things weightless in the correct posture before adding weights. Try putting your toes against a wall, arms in the air and squat all the way down and back up, that shit is hard believe me, I fell on my ass. You can start a few inches from the wall without your arms up until you can get that down.

Keep pushin' man!

true.. squat is the best damn exercise, at least for me. by the way if you want to i post my schedule, tell me if you think you would be interested in follow it. i said it because it took 2 months before i started to make it, and in those 2 months i was making exercises that didnt change my body at all.

1st Month

Monday-Friday

Squat 3x12

Leg curl 3x10

Barbell bench press 3x12

Barbell row 3x12

Barbell incline bench 2x12

Lat machine 2x12

Barbell curl 2x15

Pull down 2x15

then abs

Wednesday

Lunges 3x12

Leg curl 3x12

Dumbbell bench press 3x12

Bent over 3x12

Dumbbell shoulder 2x12

Inverse Lat machine 2x12

Dumbbell curls 2x15

Pull down 2x15

then abs

2nd Month (less reps more weight)

Mon-Fri

Squat 3x10

Leg curl 3x8

Barbell bench 3x10

Barbell row 3x10

Incline bench press 3x10

Lat machine 3x10

Barbell curl 2x12

French press 2x12

abs

Wed.

Deadlift 3x8

Leg press 3x10

Dumbbell bench press 3x10

Bent over 3x10

Dumbbell shoulder 3x12

Inverse lat machine 3x12

dumbbell curls 2x12

Pulldown 2x12

3rd month (less reps mroe weight)

Mon Fri

Squat 3x8

Leg curl 3x8

Barbell bench press 3x8

Barbell row 3x8

Incline bench press 3x8

Latmachine 3x8

Barbell curls 3x10

French press 3x10

abs

Wed

Deadlift 3x6

Leg press 3x8

Dumbbell bench press 3x8

Bent over 3x8

Dumbbell shoulder 3x10

Inverse Latmachine 3x10

Dumbbell curls 3x10

Skull Crusher (barbell on incline bench) 3x10

abs

4th month

ABA BAB

A

Squat 4x6

Leg extension 3x10

Barbell bench press 4x6

Cable Crossover 3x10

Barbell row 4x6

90 degrees lateral raise 3x10

barbell curls 4x10

abs

B

Deadlift 4x6

Leg curl 3x10

Barbell incline bench shoulder 4x6

Lateral raise 3x10

Lat machine 4x6

Pullover 3x10

French press 4x10

Calf raise 3x15

abs

5-6 month

ABA BAB

A

Squat 4x6

Leg press 3x10

Barbell bench 4x 6

Dumbbell flat bench flies 3x10

Barbell row 4x6

Pulley 3x10

barbell curl 4x10

abs

B

Deadlift 4x6

Good morning 3x10

Incline bench press 4x6

Lateral raise 3x10

Lat machine 4x6

Pullover 3x10

French press 4x10

Calf raise 3x15

Let me know how do you feel about it

Been a busy week and this is overwhelming to answer all at once but I'll try my best. I'm 6'2"-6'3" 256lbs as of this week.

I got the exercise schedule from the custom workout tab on scoobysworkshop.com and my cardio is usually running outside(road or trail) or treadmill depending on weather and i bike a little bit too. i use the adidas micoach to track my run when i go outside. I will start incorporating squats in to my workouts. I'm definitely new to fitness and online forums so all suggestions are welcome, exercises, nutrition ect.

Meals: I normally drink a smoothie in the morning. almond milk, ground flax seeds, oats, a banana, rice protein powder, an apple, an orange, sometimes i'll add kale, a little bit of peanut butter or chocolate powder. i change it up but always the first four ingredients.

I'll snack on almonds and coffee or more fruit before lunch. for lunch today i had spaghetti squash, pasta sauce and mushrooms and a piece of bread. a cup of almond milk and protein powder after i ran. for dinner steamed kale, roasted sweet potatoes, a piece of bread and bean soup. i might have a small snack before bed.

my routine from this week was feeling out how much weight i thought i could do with correct form.

Oct 30

20 minutes cardio

Side raise 3x10 15lbs

Dumbbell flys 3x10 20lbs

Dumbbell rows 3x15 20lbs

Alternating dumbbell press 3x8 15lbs

Lunges 3x8l 3x8r 15lbs

Push ups 3x10

Pull-ups assisted 130lbs 2x10

Crunches 3x15

Nov 3

20 minute cardio- running

Pushups 2x10

Pull-ups 3x8 130lb assist

Dumbbell flys 3x10 20lbs

Lunges 3x8l 3x8r

Dumbbell rows 3x15 20lbs

Side raises 3x10 15lbs

Alternating dumbbell press 3x12 15lbs

Crunches 3x15

man i think you should get low with the carbs, and more with proteins (legumes, tofu and other soja products, seitan etc.), try to put carbs(try to take the non processed and clean carbs like fruits, oatmeal, rice, potatos, and other kind of cereals)+proteins only in the morning and afternoon after that i would say only proteins with light stuff (like i dont know a good big salad with beans and tofu) and in the evening before to go to sleep a shake with some nuts, almonds (maybe 30 gr) and protein powder.

Hey man... Honestly, I think you need more greens. Starchy carbs should be kept low, but if you are training a lot (and it looks like you are), you should be getting a fair amount of good carbs in for energy (i.e. oatmeal, fruits, vegetables - vegan stuff, ya know?). Have you ever seen the movie "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead"? I'm not saying you are any of these, but I was in a similar situation to you about 18 months ago. I'm 5'7", weighed 248lbs, and had approx. 40% body fat. I watched the movie, followed the principles therein, and viola, I lost around 60 pounds within six months. I also did a lot of HIIT exercising, and then ventured into weight training. Back then I didn't track my macros, or focus on protein, or any of that shit. I drank a ton of fresh squeezed juice (watch the movie), and ate a shitload of salad. The weigh melted off, so fast that I bought three entire wardrobes within a single year. I'm not saying you should do this, but after about 18 months, I now weigh 161lbs, and approx 17% body fat. JUST SAYING.

RE: Seitan - it is delicious, but it is also typically high in sodium, and you could develop a sensitivity. I ate a shitload of seitan, and tofu, for MONTHS. I saw no real progress. In fact, I saw no progress at all, and it was a royal pain in the ass to continue losing weight/fat. I also drank a ton of protein shakes. Pretty sure I was getting in about 164 grams of protein per day, and hitting the weights 4-5 times per week. I lifted as heavy as I could.

Then I realized something (and my trainer helped me with this)... I looked around the gym, and I saw two (or maybe three, but the third category doesn't count) types of people: (1) big dudes who could lift a shitload of weight, but looked fat; and (2) smaller dudes who couldn't lift as much weight, but were ripped. I decided I wanted to be the latter, which requires me to monitor what I consume (keeping fats relatively low, and enough carbs to fuel my exercise), and incorporate both weights, and HIIT cardio (the best way to burn fat).

As of today, I don't give a fuck how much protein I get in a day - I think that is a WAY overhyped ideal. Have you ever heard of someone with a protein deficiency? No, and that's what we tell non-vegans all the time when they ask us "BUT WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR PROTEIN!??!?!?!" So, that being said, if I were you (and I have been in your position), I would do the following:

1. Find out how many calories your body needs (aka your maintenance level, aka your basal metabolic rate - http://www.muscleandstrength.com/tools/bmr-and-daily-calorie-calculator.html)

2. Find out how many calories you consume in a day (get yourself a cheap digital food scale, go here http://calorieking.com/)

3. Eat at least 500 calories below, but no more than 1000 calories below, your maintenance level.

(500 cals below and you will lose 1lb per week, 1000 calories below and you will lose 2lbs per week)

4. Eat whole foods, nix the bread, eat more legumes (spanish pardina lentils), greens, and fruits/veggies (seasonal shit).

5. Continue training as is.

6. Weigh yourself weekly, NOT daily, and always on the same day, at the same time (preferably mornings, after you've whizzed and pooped).

7. Every couple weeks or so, re-measure your maintenance calorie level.

8. Give yourself a cheat meal - one meal, eat whatever you want, have some beers - otherwise you will go crazy and give up.

9. Change up your training regularly - check out some of the other members' training logs - they are great!

10. Enjoy your motherfucking life, watch the fat melt away, and save up money for a kick ass new outfit; I like suits.

Don't think too much about this stuff. You are a ways away from worrying about cutting your salt by specific miligrams in order to make your inguinal muscle pop - and so am I - but we will get there one day brother.

It is possible to get a protein deficiency...my children's other mom is an RN that works in a hospital. She has seen protein deficiency more than once. She did mention that geriatric patients are the most frequent.

I by no means intend to indicate that a vegan diet will cause a deficiency, but for sure everyone needs some protein.

http://www.med-health.net/Protein-Deficiency-Diseases.html

I have been really keeping an eye on my protein because I am not getting enough and I can tell a difference...

It is possible to get a protein deficiency...my children's other mom is an RN that works in a hospital. She has seen protein deficiency more than once. She did mention that geriatric patients are the most frequent.

I by no means intend to indicate that a vegan diet will cause a deficiency, but for sure everyone needs some protein.

http://www.med-health.net/Protein-Deficiency-Diseases.html

I have been really keeping an eye on my protein because I am not getting enough and I can tell a difference...

Well, I hate to be proven incorrect, but I suppose I cannot argue with science. Thankfully no member of this forum will likely encounter such suffering. Everyone is different though, and I've had better success with less protein; and there are a few 80/10/10 people on here who would concur. Personally, when I was stuffing my face with tofu, seitan, and tempeh, I had major stomach issues (bloating, gas, constipation), even though the rest of my diet was unprocessed (and fiber rich). Try it both ways, see why works; one cannot ignore positive results.

Today's training log is similar to last weeks but I switched up my order. I normally: workout before dinner and do cardio first and then lift but today I ate dinner and then lifted and did cardio. I don't like how I feel after doing it so I'm not going to do that anymore. I do HIIT cardio. My target rate is 158 I normally push 5bpm harder and run on more incline. A lot of the things that have been said I've read on scoobysworkshop.com. If you haven't checked it out I highly recommend it. It has a ton of great info and the dude is just fucking silly. I will not eat bread anymore I guess. I really like it though.

Hey man... Honestly, I think you need more greens. Starchy carbs should be kept low, but if you are training a lot (and it looks like you are), you should be getting a fair amount of good carbs in for energy (i.e. oatmeal, fruits, vegetables - vegan stuff, ya know?). Have you ever seen the movie "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead"? I'm not saying you are any of these, but I was in a similar situation to you about 18 months ago. I'm 5'7", weighed 248lbs, and had approx. 40% body fat. I watched the movie, followed the principles therein, and viola, I lost around 60 pounds within six months. I also did a lot of HIIT exercising, and then ventured into weight training. Back then I didn't track my macros, or focus on protein, or any of that shit. I drank a ton of fresh squeezed juice (watch the movie), and ate a shitload of salad. The weigh melted off, so fast that I bought three entire wardrobes within a single year. I'm not saying you should do this, but after about 18 months, I now weigh 161lbs, and approx 17% body fat. JUST SAYING.

RE: Seitan - it is delicious, but it is also typically high in sodium, and you could develop a sensitivity. I ate a shitload of seitan, and tofu, for MONTHS. I saw no real progress. In fact, I saw no progress at all, and it was a royal pain in the ass to continue losing weight/fat. I also drank a ton of protein shakes. Pretty sure I was getting in about 164 grams of protein per day, and hitting the weights 4-5 times per week. I lifted as heavy as I could.

Then I realized something (and my trainer helped me with this)... I looked around the gym, and I saw two (or maybe three, but the third category doesn't count) types of people: (1) big dudes who could lift a shitload of weight, but looked fat; and (2) smaller dudes who couldn't lift as much weight, but were ripped. I decided I wanted to be the latter, which requires me to monitor what I consume (keeping fats relatively low, and enough carbs to fuel my exercise), and incorporate both weights, and HIIT cardio (the best way to burn fat).

As of today, I don't give a fuck how much protein I get in a day - I think that is a WAY overhyped ideal. Have you ever heard of someone with a protein deficiency? No, and that's what we tell non-vegans all the time when they ask us "BUT WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR PROTEIN!??!?!?!" So, that being said, if I were you (and I have been in your position), I would do the following:

1. Find out how many calories your body needs (aka your maintenance level, aka your basal metabolic rate - http://www.muscleandstrength.com/tools/bmr-and-daily-calorie-calculator.html)

2. Find out how many calories you consume in a day (get yourself a cheap digital food scale, go here http://calorieking.com/)

3. Eat at least 500 calories below, but no more than 1000 calories below, your maintenance level.

(500 cals below and you will lose 1lb per week, 1000 calories below and you will lose 2lbs per week)

4. Eat whole foods, nix the bread, eat more legumes (spanish pardina lentils), greens, and fruits/veggies (seasonal shit).

5. Continue training as is.

6. Weigh yourself weekly, NOT daily, and always on the same day, at the same time (preferably mornings, after you've whizzed and pooped).

7. Every couple weeks or so, re-measure your maintenance calorie level.

8. Give yourself a cheat meal - one meal, eat whatever you want, have some beers - otherwise you will go crazy and give up.

9. Change up your training regularly - check out some of the other members' training logs - they are great!

10. Enjoy your motherfucking life, watch the fat melt away, and save up money for a kick ass new outfit; I like suits.

Don't think too much about this stuff. You are a ways away from worrying about cutting your salt by specific miligrams in order to make your inguinal muscle pop - and so am I - but we will get there one day brother.

Post of the day

It's my day off. I had a smoothie for breakfast: pineapple, banana, strawberries, mango and peanut butter. An apple for a snack.

For lunch:Enchiladas poblanos from my favorite mexican spot 3 Amigos with zucchini, squash, lettuce, onions, tomatoes and avocado.

Dinner was steamed mushrooms and green beans over rice with a salad. About to go grab a $4 pint at Good Bottle Co. and that's my cheat day for the week. See you tomorrow.

PS so stoked that the bassist of ENT/FFAF posted on my log. I love the internet.

Post of the day

Thanks man. Glad to see I'm not alone, even if I am crazy.

It's my day off. I had a smoothie for breakfast: pineapple, banana, strawberries, mango and peanut butter. An apple for a snack.

For lunch:Enchiladas poblanos from my favorite mexican spot 3 Amigos with zucchini, squash, lettuce, onions, tomatoes and avocado.

Dinner was steamed mushrooms and green beans over rice with a salad. About to go grab a $4 pint at Good Bottle Co. and that's my cheat day for the week. See you tomorrow.

PS so stoked that the bassist of ENT/FFAF posted on my log. I love the internet.

What kind of beer did you have? I love Mexican food as a cheat meal. There's this little tacqueria nearby us that makes seitan burritos. Damn, just thinking about them makes me hungry. And chips. I fucking love tortilla chips.

About to go grab a $4 pint at Good Bottle Co.

Good bottle Co sounds great. I'm really into my craft beer at the moment.

On the second part....

I had NoDa brewing Coco Loco. It's from a local brewery. I sampled the Wicked Weed Dirty Weeds Black IPA which was brewed with the drummer of AC/DC and it ruled too. Just from Asheville to Charlotte there are easily 20 or 30 breweries. NC Craft beer is awesome. We have an Oskar Blues brewery here with a Sierra Nevada and New Belgium brewery on the way too. I'll be drinking every beer that Sierra Nevada has on tap when they open.

Going to the gym today after work. I'll update later.

I pushed myself pretty hard today and I feel good about it.

Run 25 min

3x10 push-ups

3x8L 3x8R Lunges

3x10 barbell curl 50lb

1x10 bench press 90lbs

3x10 side raise 20lbs

3x15 dbell flys 20lbs

3x10 pull-ups 115lbs assist

3x10 alt dbell press 20lbs

3x10 French press 20lbs

3x15 dbell rows 20lbs

3x15 crunches

2x10 decline sit ups with punches

2x30sec side planks each side.

For breakfast I had kale, an apple, a banana, flax seeds, 2 tbs peanut butter in a smoothie

Ate banh mi for lunch and it was the only bread I ate all day.

A pack of peanuts and iced coffee before I worked out

for dinner i'm eating spaghetti squash, mushrooms and sauce. I snacked on some almonds as soon as I got home too.