Reintroduction from England

KingClumsy

Hi again!

I joined a while ago and lurked some so I thought I'd reintroduce myself.

I'm a pretty sedentary office worker who has poor muscle tone in my upper body due to developmental dyspraxia. For fun I skate with a local roller derby league three times a week. I'm training up to be a referee. The only problem with this is it doesn't give me an upper body workout. To top this off, my fiance has a thing for more toned guys (she's rather keen on Chris Hemsworth in Thor/ The Avengers. Leg and core strength is always good for roller derby too.

I'm looking to work out without a gym membership. Firstly I'm can't really afford a gym membership with a wedding to save for and monthly membership fees to the derby league. Secondly, I'm quite keen on minimising my environmental impact and the gym is quite energy heavy and my job promotes fairly enivonrmentally harmful activities (not the best, but oh well)

Any questions? I'm not really looking for advise. Just thought I'd introduce myself.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey welcome! Whereabouts in England are you from? I don't use the gym either bud I just have a set of dumb bells in my spare room. Anyways you should start up a log so people can follow along with your training, all the best mate

Ross

Tempting! Low-Carbon workouts

Thor is rad but your fiance is your fiance for for a reason, dont sweat that. Upper body training im sure is good for blocking and tackles in derby though right?

Oh I know, but at the same time we'd both feel better for me getting in shape

Good for shoulder checks. Derby is very lower body and core focused. Its done wonders for my legs but nothing for my arms. I could do with improving core strength too for getting low, Derby is ideally in a permanent squat.

Edit to this: Ive worked out I can afford a gym membership and my local cheap gym is monthly with no obligations and all that (half decent weight section too) so I'm going to join them over winter, to build up my strength and get training in even in crap weather, with the idea of being in a better shape when summer comes and I can go do outdoor circuit training, skate outdoors and so on.

And yeah, some derby workouts can be killer. there's always the thing of "work out by playing" but some strength and stamina workouts can be murder. I could work on my strength and stamina, I've got to shave 58 seconds off my time for 25 laps, but a lot of this will come from having stronger lower body as I then won't loose all speed in the turns.