100% Fitness Newb

Introduce yourself. Tell us about your training history, how long you've been vegan, share some of your goals and some of your interests.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

ValentineWiggin
Finch

100% Fitness Newb

#1 Postby ValentineWiggin » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:19 pm

I've been vegan for 7 years. :mrgreen:

I've dealt with food addiction since I was 8- it's resulted in a lot of massive weight gains which have severely-damaged my cardiovascular system.
I had double venous ablation on my legs two years ago, in conjunction with being diagnosed with lipedema, which means I have very fat legs, essentially. :(

All of my binge periods have been followed by starve/exercise routines which helped me lose a lot of weight very quickly.
Now, though, I find myself 8 months in to a horrible binge period- I gained 40 lbs in three weeks back in May, and another 20 since then. :shock:

It wasn't until a few months ago that fiance and I discovered the food addiction model, and that's been instrumental in understanding my life.
(At this point, fiance parcels out food from our locked pantry; I'd like to eventually get into therapy which might help us strategize, but I'm not really capable of that yet, just a couple day-to-day things).
Unfortunately, the physical and emotional toll of my situation as well as executive dysfunction (I'm Autistic) has really taken a toll on our relationship and now I fear the worst- that the end of my relationship is on the horizon. :psycho:

Someone recommended this forum due both to my veganism and also to my background of binging and dieting which has left me with extremely-poor muscle tone (gain fat, lose muscle, and repeat ad infinitum)- my doctors and all my research tell me that my cardiovascular health would be immeasurably-improved if I built up my muscles. :idea:

I've participated in a lot of nutrition-related groups before, but never could find the right fit, between being both vegan and dealing with the food addiction (we try to keep me away from high-glycemic foods/meals generally, so I favor low-carb or keto, so that's a whole 'nother level of complication; grains, flour, sugar, and sweeteners are absolute no-nos).

I have access to a really awesome gym with a crazy number of different machines, I'm just ignorant as to the physiological mechanisms of gaining muscle, essentially- I've ignored such things in the past in favor of losing weight, and have paid the price for it.

So...that's it. I guess this is a bizarre first post- I mainly intend to lurk, but occasionally might work up the nerve to pick someone's brain. :augenroller:

C.O.
VBB Moderator

Re: 100% Fitness Newb

#2 Postby C.O. » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:01 pm

Hi and welcome to the group here.

40 lbs in 3 weeks, that is incredible. Your frame doesn't look very large either. Good to hear that you have made some beneficial discoveries.
I hope you find the site to be informative, I certainly have. And definitely pick some people's brains, people here seem more than willing to share whatever knowledge and experiences they have.

-Dylan

mrbear666
Elephant

#3 Postby mrbear666 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:07 pm

welcome and good luck with everything, everyones really friendly and helpful here so dont be shy to ask anything, peoples training journals are always full of interesting info! :D
"iam the strongest one! iam the viking!" - jon pall sigmarsson
“may all of your dreams and ambitions happen, but most important, may all of your enemies die"
www.infowars.com

ValentineWiggin
Finch

#4 Postby ValentineWiggin » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:41 am

Thanks to both of you- I appreciate the welcome! :)

Return to “Introductions”