a new start

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

219.4 lbs after 2 weeks. 8 1/2 lbs lost in 14 days. While I've done some heavy labor, I've not restarted any formal exercise routine. In two weeks the only exercise I did purely for exercise was one 1/2 hour walk! I'm feeling positive and pretty confidant I'll reach my goals.

Didn't stuff my self yesterday! Still feeling positive about my future success. Already feel good about having stuck with this a couple of weeks. Looking forward to the liberty of not carrying around my emotional insulation/blubber. Optimistic that my presumption of a long life may be realized.

4 weeks done, 16 lbs lost! I'm very happy with this start. I weigh 212 this morning, so I lost a little more in the fourth week than the the second or third. The food journal I restarted here has been invaluable. It means being much more conscious of what I eat. I've had 1000-1500 calories a day. I've not restarted exercise yet, amazingly. Of course exercise will be essential to continuing weight loss toward my goals. I especially hope to rekindle my yoga and running. Both are much easier when not obese, so in a way I've started getting ready for those practices. Previously it's been difficult to lose weight while lifting weights or even running! My constitution is first "kapha" in Ayurvedic terms, so I tend toward anabolic. I have underlying "pita" though, so there is some fire or catabolic tendency as well. The idea is to increase pita and "vata" that is increase fire, air and motion, decrease earth and inertia. This is accomplished through lifestyle choices, diet, exercise, emotional health, mental hygiene, ethical choices, etc.. As you can see, I'm not just looking to get rid of weight to look good, feel better, etc.. I'm working on total, lifetime healing, body, mind and spirit. If I have continued success, thank you for your help, dear reader. May your holistic health goals come closer to realization.

As I've increased my daily calories in the past week, I believe my daily totals tend to be near 1500. I felt cold and was sleeping a lot more when, during the first month I often kept it a few hundred calories under that. I presume the rate of my weekly loss will slow, but I intend to not lose less than two pounds each week. With the firm resolve and encouraging beginning I've enjoyed I know my goals are just months away. By the time warm weather returns to these parts, I'll be shopping for new clothes. I still haven't begun any exercise routine again, but know that that's coming sooner than later. For right now, I'm going for a little hike around the neighborhood park, while we have a nice break in the weather here. Have a healthy Winter, Dear Reader.

• 2 weeks later...

204.7 lbs at 8 weeks, 23.3 lbs lost in 2 months. So, I'm short of my intermediate goals. I only lost 2.5 lbs in the last 14 days. I did reach my 205 milestone. Next weigh ins will see 25 lbs lost so far, and soon I'll be under 200.

A notable change is the end of my food journal elsewhere here. I didn't binge or gorge for 2 months however, and I haven't fallen prey to big late night snacks even once. All and all, pretty good.

204.7 lbs at 8 weeks, 23.3 lbs lost in 2 months. So, I'm short of my intermediate goals. I only lost 2.5 lbs in the last 14 days. I did reach my 205 milestone. Next weigh ins will see 25 lbs lost so far, and soon I'll be under 200.

A notable change is the end of my food journal elsewhere here. I didn't binge or gorge for 2 months however, and I haven't fallen prey to big late night snacks even once. All and all, pretty good.

weigh loss despite christmas is good keep it up pal!

203.5 this morning, so at 10 weeks I lost a little ground. I've been eating a little big bigger portions, ate a little pb several times, as well as some tortilla chips. Time to reboot and restart my losses. It's been challenging to not eat much in the bitter cold we've been having.

197.8 at 11 weeks. So last week's apparent gain WAS an anomaly. My 2 week loss is on track at over 5 pounds. This month I believe I'll drop under 190, which I last saw almost 20 years ago. I also got a great deal from Living Social for a course at my friends' Iyengar yoga studio, which starts March 1st. I'm already looking forward to running come March too, Goddess willing. Good luck in surpassing your fitness goals, Dear Reader.

12 week weigh in: 195.3 lbs.

So, this week was right on track with 2.5 lbs loss. 32.5 lbs total loss so far. The temporary decrease in calories is now my new normal, and not so difficult. I had not one major lapse in palette control in 3 months. I don't remember eating better in my life. I let my gut rest from solid food 10-12 hours every night. I dose the gut with psyllium husks and a probiotic capsule first thing every morning. I finally and literally "got my shit together." I've lost a little muscle mass, as I've not restarted lifting or running. Next week I'll be at my low weight from when I dieted, ran and lifted religiously for a few years, which is meticulously documented in this thread. The psychic healing I've experienced, in the last few months, coincidental to the brutal cold and deep snow which feel like a metaphor of my journey, foretells a glorious Spring and Summer. I turn 55 in July and plan to be 165 lbs and 10% body fat, able to do pull ups and chin ups unassisted and run 10k in under an hour. Many thanks to my heroes and heroines for the inspiration and resources, most notably: Robert Cheeke, Frank Madrano, and most especially, Shri Mata Rhadarani. Have a healthy day Dear Reader. I always try to tell the many volunteers at the anti hunger charity I founded and direct: "Our goal, zero accidents."

13 weeks and 195.7 lbs this morning. So, another apparent gain of a few ounces at this weigh in. I was surprised, presuming I'd lose. I did have an increase in PB and increased portions more often this week accepting as a given that I will continue to lose. Let's see what happens next Thursday!

197.5 at 14 weeks, up 1.8 in one week and .4 the week before leaves me 2 weeks behind plus another 2.2 gained pounds. In hind site I remember too many occasions where I chose a bigger portion, ate too late in the evening, used too much oil, etc. I'd hoped last weeks gain was cyclic, but that doesn't appear the case now. It's time to recommit and jump start the downward weight trend again. Glad I'm still over 30 pounds lost, but I hoped to be a little further now, at least to 35 or even 40 pounds gone. It is definitely past time to integrate additional exercise and yoga into my weekly routine.

15 weeks gone and 193.3 today! I was surprised and happy to see that number come up when I rechecked. My portions have been bigger than needed more often and my dinner has gotten later, though I still never yet binged or gorged in almost 4 months. My yoga classes start Saturday. I was a yoga instructor 35 years ago, but haven't been able to maintain a practice since the 70s! I'm glad the studio is a proper Iyengar place, with well trained instructors. There are so many quacks hybridizing the yoga postures. Now we have wine and chocolate themed yoga, surf "yoga" and more.

So just a couple of ounces from 35 lbs lost and I again approach a 20 year low weight. My stomach has largely disappeared and my clothes fit very loosely. My 50 lb 1st goal may come at 20 weeks, perfectly on schedule. Time to recommit and step this up a couple of notches.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yesterday was 19 weeks and I weighed in at 190.9.

I'm wearing a t-shirt that never fit before.

I'm recommitting to seeing 178 happen sooner than later, my intermediate goal. I'd be elated if I hit that in 5 weeks ( week 24 ) my 52 week goal remains a fit 165. That would be down 90 from my years plateauing at 255 as a lacto vegetarian (until 10 years ago when I stopped dairy)

I've been taking my yoga class once a week.