Get Ripped or Die Trying

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You eat so many salads bro! Aha putting me to shame...

That's some interesting training too! Lots of volume and diversity! How are you finding it all? Making some good gains?

Haha yeah man, someone on here told me to eat more greens, so I took it to heart! I love working with my trainer man, he's really opened the door to so many different exercises. It's basically the best part about spending the dough on a trainer - also since he knows nothing about vegan nutrition I'm pretty sure I could go at least 4 months of training 4-5 times per week and never repeat an exercise, which is awesome! I just have to remember them all, which is next to impossible - hence the log

As far as results go, I am seeing better progress now with doing strength + HIIT stuff, than in the past where I mainly focused on strength alone. I've also learned to overcome my distaste for certain HIIT exercises (like box jumps), which I used to avoid altogether. Though I doubt I'll ever be able to come to terms with some of the plyo jumps... They are just so brutally demanding!

Do you have Trader Joe's over there? These quick-prep packets of bulgur/quinoa/barley are the shit!

That does sound cool man! (Just realised we're having two separate conversations haha) but I could never work with a trainer I don't think I always train at random times.

Nah we don't have a trader joes, think that's just in the u.s we have a branch of stores called Holland & Barrett which is bodybuilding supplements and vegan/vegetarian foods, loads of packaged soya stuff and even vegan pastries

That does sound cool man! (Just realised we're having two separate conversations haha) but I could never work with a trainer I don't think I always train at random times.

Nah we don't have a trader joes, think that's just in the u.s we have a branch of stores called Holland & Barrett which is bodybuilding supplements and vegan/vegetarian foods, loads of packaged soya stuff and even vegan pastries

Trader Joes is a great place, but Holland & Barrett sounds awesome as well; especially the pastries. Again, fat kid inside me. Hope you're having a good weekend bro. Going to make this taco casserole tonight, which should be tasty!

Saturday, November 23, 2013:

Saturday 12's Pump Day

1. DB Bench - 3 x 12 @ 140lbs

2. Single Arm Row - 3 x 12 @ 55lbs (should go up in weight on these)

3. DB Chest Pullover - 3 x 12 @ 55lbs (guess this is my favorite exercise)

4. Squat - 3 x 12 @ 245lbs

5. 24" Box Jumps - 3 x 12

6. Wide Leg Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 90lbs

7. 3 Way Assisted Pullup (wide grip, neutral grip, supinated grip) - 3 x 12 @ 30lbs assist

8. Decline Bench - 3 x 10 @ 155lbs/145lbs/145lbs

9. Assisted Dips - 3 x 12 @ 30lbs assist

Felt really great putting up those DBs on the bench. Kind of wore myself out for the decline bench, so I could only must sets of 10. Must have been killing the box jumps though because all the dickheads in that place were watching me hop up there My nemesis was there today too, which always bugs me. Had to interact with him for a moment as he left all of his weights up on the decline bench before moving on to something else. Asked him if he was done there, and he took off a plate for me, then said I should "probably be on the machines if I'm not going to lift more." I was thinking the same thing (in opposite land), and wanted to badly to mention the fact that his legs have nearly the same circumference as my arms, and "how do you stand upright?" Anyhow, not going to let that affect the rest of my kickass day! Thinking about making some taco casserole tonight, or perhaps this Diablo Beefless Chili Mac. . . hmmm so many choices!

Tuesday, November 25, 2013:

Full Body HIIT Day - The "46/33" Workout

Round 1:

1. Kettlebell Swings x 46 @ 35lbs

2. Burpees x 33

3. TRX Knee Drivers x 23

4. TRX Pike x 23

5. TRX Supinated Row x 46

6. Two Way Pushups x 33 (Staggered, and 24" Incline)

7. Onnit Battle Rope Waves x 46 seconds

8. Onnit Battle Rope Jump & Slam x 46 seconds (brutal)

9. Three Way Box Jumps x 33 (front, side, side) on 24" box

10. Up/Down Plank on Bosu x 46 seconds

Round 2:

1. Kettlebell Swings x 33 @ 35lbs

2. Burpees x 33

3. TRX Knee Drivers x 23

4. TRX Pike x 23

5. TRX Supinated Row x 46

6. Two Way Pushups x 33 (Staggered, and 24" Incline)

7. Onnit Battle Rope Waves x 46 seconds

8. Onnit Battle Rope Jump & Slam x 46 seconds (brutal)

9. Up/Down Plank on Bosu x 46 seconds

This session was hard as fuck. These Onnit Battle Ropes (https://www.onnit.com/battle-ropes/) are absolutely no joke. Check out the videos they have on the website. I also really want some of those "Steelbells" for home use. I also felt like those kettlebell swings would never end. You know something is difficult when you are looking forward to doing TRX pikes, especially 23 of them in a row. Worst part is that the gym temperature was set up to 75*F, making it brutally hot in the room I was training in. I tend to lose focus when I'm uncomfortable like that, so that needs to change before my next session. Personally, I don't think a gym should ever be above 68*F for training purposes. Anyhow, felt really tired, hot, and pretty spent after this session. Came home and had a huge salad for dinner, see?

What are you all doing for Thanksgiving (those who celebrate)? I'm planning on training tomorrow, and again Thursday morning. Then, it's on for some delicious craft beer, and amazing vegan treats. I'll post some pics of the spread. It's fucking freezing here, which I never seemed to mind when I was fat. Now that my bodyfat is so much lower, I'm cold all the time!

1053559047_11.25Salad.jpeg.0c275599c7a246d28b2770fad5d3d343.jpeg

Wednesday, November 27, 2013:

Giant Day

1. Squat - 3 x 12 @ 245lbs

2. Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 165lbs

3. Side Lunge - 3 x 12 @ 60lbs*

4. DB Bench - 3 x 12 @ 130lbs

5. Single Arm Row - 3 x 12 @ 55lbs*

6. Chest Pullover - 3 x 12 @ 55lbs

7. Assisted Pullup - 3 x 12 @ 30lbs assistance

8. Decline Bench - 3 x 12 @ 135lbs

9. Standing Arnold Press - 3 x 12 @ 50lbs

Had a half day of work so I put my regular Saturday session today. Nice to be in the gym when it's not too busy, and not on my weekend time. Also felt good to get a solid pump in before I stuff/drink my face off tomorrow. Need to work more on overhead press type stuff as those Arnold Presses were brutally tough; could also be due to the rope work I did yesterday. It's midday, and I ate lunch before I went to the gym, so no food pics today. I did have a Sun Warrior protein shake when I got home, which wasn't too bad. First protein shake in probably six months, maybe more. However, I did notice I was especially vascular today, so I had to take a pic of that of course! Hope you all have a nice holiday, if you are celebrating.

LightningVeins.jpeg.43f0a56779b91f97d824215703f09797.jpeg

theres no better feeling than when your veins are trying to escape out of your skin food looks good pal!

Wooooah veins man! My arms are completely veinless! Haha

Haha thanks fellas, they've been a long time coming. Left arm isn't as presentable as the right - but maybe someday!

Thursday, November 28, 2013:

Thanksgiving Workout

0. Jump Rope 60 seconds

1. Oblique Crunch x 20*

2. Standing Bicycle x 60 seconds

3. Stability Ball Pike x 15

4. Squat Jacks x 60 seconds

5. Triple Situp x 12

6. 3 Way Plank x 60 seconds

7. Stability Ball Knee Drivers x 15

8. Plank Hopovers x 60 seconds (not executed)

Felt like absolute dogshit doing this so early in the morning, plus I drank too much coffee (= jittery, and nausea due to dehydration). Did almost one round, and decided to throw in the towel. I'd rather gain a couple pounds from eating too much today than feel like I'm going to hurl on my day off. I'll have some water, and hopefully will recover. I am determined!

Friday, November 19, 2013:

Post-Thanksgiving Training

1. TRX Chest Press - 3 x 15

2. TRX "I" - 3 x 15

3. TRX Curls - 3 x 15

4. TRX Row - 3 x 15

5. TRX Tricep Press - 3 x 15

6. Single Leg Squat - 3 x 15

7. Single Leg Deadlift - 3 x 15 @ 35lbs

8. TRX Hamstring Curls - 3 x 15

Arguably the worst day to workout, as an American (or someone else who celebrates Thanksgiving by eating an inordinate amount of food). Knew I had to get something in today given I ate almost an entire pecan pie yesterday (which included 1/4 cup of corn syrup overall, at 200 calories PER TABLESPOON). Oh yeah, and about an hour before this workout, I ate a plate of leftovers, which included: (1) Mac & Cheese (vegan, of course); (2) Baked beans (vegan); (3) Two Dinner Rolls; (4) 1/2 cup cranberry sauce (includes copious amounts of sugar, and 2 cups of port wine); (5) Field Roast (a grain-meat roast); and (6) more pecan pie. Good thing is that I haven't been able to eat anything else today, and I might not even keep all of that down since I feel as if I could hurl at any moment.

Lesson Learned: I am not made for binge eating/drinking, and will strive not to do so any longer - especially when it comes to eating.

Arguably the worst day to workout, as an American (or someone else who celebrates Thanksgiving by eating an inordinate amount of food). Knew I had to get something in today given I ate almost an entire pecan pie yesterday (which included 1/4 cup of corn syrup overall, at 200 calories PER TABLESPOON). Oh yeah, and about an hour before this workout, I ate a plate of leftovers, which included: (1) Mac & Cheese (vegan, of course); (2) Baked beans (vegan); (3) Two Dinner Rolls; (4) 1/2 cup cranberry sauce (includes copious amounts of sugar, and 2 cups of port wine); (5) Field Roast (a grain-meat roast); and (6) more pecan pie. Good thing is that I haven't been able to eat anything else today, and I might not even keep all of that down since I feel as if I could hurl at any moment.

Lesson Learned: I am not made for binge eating/drinking, and will strive not to do so any longer - especially when it comes to eating.

awesome!

[quote name="mrbear666 awesome!

Sounds pretty awesome to me man hahaha how was thanksgiving anyway? You have a gooden?

It was a great day, though I wish I had made it through a few more pints instead of eating so much food - but you have to pick your battles I suppose! Tough life, eh?

Looking forward to putting in some work tomorrow, but not sure which direction I will go: heavier weights, or more HIIT style training. You guys have plans for training this weekend?

Hell yeah man! Training shoulders at some point hopefully

Also, did you take advantage of any Black Friday deals? It's weird how even over here we have Black Friday sales haha

Not this year mate, as we are saving up for a down payment on a house here. Would be nice though, maybe some tech stuff on CyberMonday. Funny that you have the sales over there, yet forego the preceding holiday, haha! I'll admit though that I am still paying for my overindulgence on Thursday (which also spilled into part of Friday). Shoulder training is always brutal, kind of like leg days.

Saturday, December 1, 2013:

Full Body Day

1. Bench Press - 4 x 12 @ 145lbs

2. Kettlebell Snatch/Clean/Press - 4 x 12* @ 25lbs

3. Angle Lunge - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs

4. Rotational Box Jump - 3 x 24/16/16 (why did I do 24 the first round?!?!)

5. Bosu Single Leg Crunch - 3 x 15*

6. Battle Rope Waves - 3 x 45 seconds

God help me if I didn't almost puke at the end of those rope waves; just absolutely brutal. I doubt all of those box jumps helped either. Still feeling really shitty due to overeating the last couple days. Had to come home and just sit for about half an hour before I felt even remotely normal again. Feeling super guilty for overindulging, and my digestion is all out of whack (heartburn, indigestion, lethargy, etc.). I know that a cheat meal is good every now and then, but I think I have been to liberal with the concept; possibly also falling into cultural expectations with respect to Thanksgiving - but at least I consumed no animal products!

Resting tomorrow, and then probably back in action by Monday evening. Food today is as clean as possible: Oatmeal, apple, cinnamon, a huge salad for lunch, apple/grapes for a snack later, and then some hot soup for dinner. Absolutely no drinking, nor sweets, nor anything heavy, possibly ever again.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013:

Full Body/Core HIIT Day (2 Rounds as a Circuit)

1. Burpees - 2 x 20

2. Squat/Curl/Press - 2 x 15* @ 30lbs

4. Straight Leg Crunch on Captain's Chair - 2 x 20

5. Oblique Crunch on Back Extension - 2 x 20*

6. DB Straight Leg Deadlift - 2 x 20 @ 100lbs

7. Ab Bicycle - 2 x 40*

8. BB Twist - 2 x 40 @ 65lbs

9. Lunge to Kick - 2 x 25*

10. Double Stair Jumps - 2 x 3 Flights (jump up 2 steps at a time)

11. High Side Plank w/ Rotation - 2 x 20*

I feel like I'm leaving one out, but oh well. Felt great to get back to work after taking a couple days off; and after putting down way too much food over the last couple days. I think it might be time to mix up the training a bit, even though I've been on this HIIT + Resistance for about a month. I'm thinking I might switch from one heavy weight day per week, to two, and leave the remaining two days for HIIT/Resistance. On the heavy days I would increase weights, and lower reps; other two days would continue as before. Thoughts?

Also, I just know I'll have the cravings for vegan pizza and beer this weekend, which I am really trying to avoid since I gained a legit 5lbs over the weekend (or hopefully it's just some lingering water weight). Either way, I'd love to hold myself to my promise that I won't drink for a couple weeks. I have to admit though, it will be tough. Going to look at some houses this weekend, which should be loads of fun - very exciting! House shopping is strange to me so far, since I am more used to direct retail buys. I usually know exactly what I want when I start shopping, but this will/should take much longer. Anyhow, here's what I had for dinner - can you guess what it is??? Did you guess: a salad? Ding ding!

444006645_12.3Salad.jpeg.5913a01bd352c0be190f0aed3ff3c565.jpeg

Wednesday, December 4, 2013:

Core Day - Did the following as a circuit, two rounds

0. Jump Rope x 2 minutes

1. SitUp Vup x 20 / Triple Situp x 12

2. Oblique Crunch x 15* / Side Plank w/ Rotation x 15*

3. HighKnees & Buttkicks x 60 seconds (30 sec each)

4. TRX Knee Driver + TRX Pike x 15

5. Hanging Knee Raise x 15

6. Mountain Climbers x 60 seconds

7. Reverse Crunch w/ Pulse x 15

8. Weighted Stability Ball Crunch x 30 @ 25lbs

9. Window Wipers x 15

10. Plyo Reverse Crunch x 15

The TRX Knee Driver + Pike was brutal. I also just fucking hate Mountain Climbers. I'd rather do box jumps all day. Made another huge salad for dinner, but wasn't really in the mood for salad... Ate it anyhow, basically forcing it down. There is this Kristkindl Mart outside of my office building, which is selling all of these treats (including beer) as part of the holidays (none of them vegan, of course). It was difficult to see/smell all of that stuff today and maintain my distance. Not that I would ever consume something non-vegan again, but hey, pastries smell delicious whether made with dairy or not. Anyhow, back in action tomorrow - hopefully to lift something heavy.

Woohoo house shopping! Sounds fun man me and the other half are lucky enough to rent from my dad super cheap but it would be nice to own our own!

Pizza and beer sounds way too good man hahaha! Resist!!

I don't know much about HIIT so I can't give any good advice, but HIITROB knows a great deal so ask him

Yeah man, can't wait to see these properties - should be very exciting. Cool that you get cost effective housing from your dad; I bet that makes it easy to save up funds for a future purchase (at least, that's what I would tell myself ).

I'll shoot HIITRob a message or something to ask him what's up.

Really not sure I can avoid at least one beer this weekend. And not sure if it will be pizza, or a veggie burger/fries for a cheat meal. IM STARVING! haha

Thursday, December 5, 2013:

Upper Body Heavy/HIIT Day

1. DB Bench Press - 4 x 8 @ 150lbs

2. BB Single Arm Row - 4 x 10 @ 90lbs (stuff the end of the barbell in the corner of a room, put a plate on the other end, lift)

3. High Knees Circuit - 4 x 20 seconds on/20 seconds rest/20 seconds on/20 seconds rest/20 seconds on

4. Wide Grip Lat Pulldown - 4 x 8 @ 130lbs

5. Incline DB Fly - 4 x 8 @ 70lbs

6. Jump Rope - 4 x 20 seconds on/20 seconds rest/20 seconds on/20 seconds rest/20 seconds on

Down and dirty today. Worked with the trainer on this one. Felt really badass putting up two 75lb dumbbells for 4 sets of 8 - fuck yeah! I remember just two years ago I was proud to make it to 40lbs on my DB bench. Wish I could lift more on the Incline DB Fly, but it kind of aggravates my shoulders (specifically, the left side), and the trainer likes for me to twist my hands in to an underhand grip upon completion of the movement - it really gets a good squeeze on the pec at the top. Still though, super proud I could push up those 75's! haha Came home super hungry and ate a tasty stir "fry" (not fried at all), pictured below.

Realized something today... I really want to devote my career to animal law, and animal rights law. Not sure how to get into that other than the obvious (applying for attorney positions at places like PETA, MFA, etc.). If anyone reading this knows someone in those organizations in the Chicago area, please let me know. Maybe you would be willing to put me in touch?

Resting tomorrow, and then hitting it hard again on Saturday!

299740699_12.5StirFry.jpeg.b9c208fa3a76cb45fccf262f8eb5b173.jpeg

Awesome bench press man!! How are you with barbell bench?? For some reason I'm terrible at DB compared to barbell

Thanks dude! Funny you should mention barbell bench - my weight there is actually a bit lower. I have a helluva time getting much more than 140 up for 12. Haven't really tried much higher than that - maybe tomorrow! What confuses me even more is that my decline barbell bench press is the same weight as my flat bench barbell bench. Really weird, and pretty frustrating too. I wonder why we have these differences???