Occlusion training method

HIT Rob

Hi All...

Just want to share this...

I first heard about occlusion training (restricting blood flow while contracting muscle tissue) a few years ago, i was somewhat skeptical about this training methodology despite the evidence based research that backs it up. The way it was presented to me was like this Layne Norton video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpKn8Hav5eM, were by you tie an implement around a limb. I personally feel this version is an unsafe practice as there's no real way of knowing the perfect pressure relative to how the individual likes to train, moreover this version of occlusion can only be used on the limbs.

Recently though I've been in touch with the Zone training/ tri-angular training founder Brian Johnston and learned of another way this methodology can be implemented to produce an "occlusion effect" without having to resort to using a cuff or wraps to restrict blood flow.

To use this technique, the idea is to keep as much blood trapped into the targeted muscle as possible while avoiding the stretched position of the movement, as the stretched position of an exercise opens the vessels and allows for blood to flow freely.

One of Brian's recommendation's...

1. Position yourself in the middle of an exercise.

2. Statically hold the weight there for 3 seconds.

3. Shift down an inch or two toward the stretch (though not going fully into it).

4. From there, preform 3 reps in the middle 3rd of the movement, each rep should have a cadence of 3 seconds up, 3 seconds down.

5. return back to the middle of the exercise for another 3 second hold, repeat the sequence.

Build up until 5-6 sequences...

I've used this method on my last few workouts and i can quite honestly say I've never experience anything like it, the pump was ENORMOUS, plus the level of muscular fatigue was far superior anything else (bar zone training/ J-reps) I've ever experienced...despite the fact that i was only working with 50-60% of my normal load.

If Bodybuilding is your pleasure, I thoroughly recommend giving this method a whirl, it can be adapted an type of equipment,

Happy training

Best

Rob

Me too C.O.

I forgot to note the main reason i why don't like the cuffing/tying off method Dr LN mention's demonstrates in the video, the cuffing or wrapping of the limbs acts as a pressure hose that trap's venus blood return, this is NOT a good thing, as its the venus blood return that protects the heart while working out. This is not the case with Brian Johnston's method.

• 1 month later...

Very Interesting... while I tend to gravitate toward strength training, this could work while well for rounding out a powerlifter's physique. Personally I tend to neglect my abs, calves and traps the most. This could be the answer. Your approach reminds me of how people use the 21's for their bicep development, but more intense!