If 80/10/10 diet and feel hungry, i know how to solve it

I recently got into eating 80/10/10 diet and i start to notice feeling hungry all the time, after researching for a while i realize why.

Basically, fruits are low in fiber but high in water content, hence why your stomach feels full. However, fructose are easily digest, so when you eat tons of fruits, what happen is that it gets absorb and digested easily and you shit them all out within an hour.

So how you do solve the hungry issues? Well, if you need energy, eat tons of fruits for quick boost of energy. However, if you want a more stable diet with less hunger, then simply eat more black beans. Black beans are complex carbohydrates and VERY high in fibers. Eating black bean for dinner is perfect because you dont want too much carbs to end up becoming fat while you're sleeping anyway.

When you are new to 80/10/10 you don't have the stomach capacity to eat enough calories at each meal. So you may have to eat 5-6 meals per day to get enough calories. I can eat 20 bananas in a meal and need only eat twice a day if necessary. For a newbie, eating 5 bananas is going to make them feel full. Then of course the body will digest it rather quickly and you will be hungry much sooner than had you eaten cooked food (which is much denser in calories at the same volume). Over time, your stomach will stretch and you'll be able to hold more capacity. The average human on a cooked food diet has a stomach capacity of about 1L. Mine is about 3.5L. A competitive eater may have a capacity of 5L. If you just eat to being stuffed each meal, your capacity will slowly increase.

Fruits have fiber. 1 serving of fruit (1 banana, or 1 apple, 1 cup of grapes etc) typically has 3-5 grams of fiber. 1 serving of most legumes (1/2 cup) has around 6-7 grams of fiber. Since on 811 you are generally having like 10 bananas (30 grams of fiber) in a sitting I'm guessing that fiber is not the problem. Ben made some excellent points.

How do you like the diet so far?

I follow 811 too. I've gone months without eating cooked food, but I like to have a high carb cooked vegan meal one or two nights a week. rice/vegetables, or potatoes and beans, or spaghetti and grape tomatoes.

The only problem is that I've become more sensitive to foods now. My ears will get red and start itching the day after if I eat some foods (usually the beans or the wheat in the spaghetti I think). I don't know, but that's pretty much my only complaint.

Hope you enjoy it and it works for you. Do you use cronometer, or anything that shows you your daily nutrients?

Here's the thing, I like eating fruits for energy but i dont buy into the whole theory of eating 3000 calories per day. It's a quick recipe to gain weight super fast.

I've done extensive research and i barely find any body builder with huge muscle + low body fat using 80/10/10 diet. So I prefer to do a hybrid instead. If i need energy and health, i will consume fruits. But before bed time, it makes zero sense to consume high energy food for it to convert into fat but rather it makes more sense to consume beans, which is much higher in fibers. Beans have 15 grams of fiber per 70 calories, which is at least 15 times higher than bananas and 7 times higher than oranges.

Yes, I uses chronometer. I consume around a lb of spinach a day so my overall vitamin intake are pretty good.

Ok, here's my overall review of my experience with 80/10/10 diet.

When I first started doing this diet, i went right ahead and consume 25 bananas a day, so iend up with 2500 calories. I discover i have insane energy and ridicolously sharp mental clarity. It's all well and good. The bad news is that after 2 weeks of doing this, i discover i gained somewhere between 5-10 lb of body weight. After accurate measurement, i discover i gained about roughly 4lb of weight if i minus out the water weights(after taking a crap in the morning and piss out all the water).

So...despite i gain energy doing the 80/10/10, i also gain weight. From a scientific point of view, this make perfect sense, because my previous caloric intake was 1500-2000 calories and now i increase it to 2500. When you have a caloric surplus, you will naturally gain weight, it's pure science. Also, I felt hungry all the damn time. I figure the more hungry i felt, the more i eat and frankly, beside the fact it's eating way too much, i'm sure i will also gain even more weight. Testestarone seem to went down too from consuming less protein.

For me, i'm all about science and efficiency, so despite reading the entire doug graham 80/10/10 book, i'm not going to try so hard to follow it dogmatically. Instead, i will put in my little spin to find a system that works for me, hence why i created that hybrid. Seem to be working well so far, i got energy and lose weight!

iambrian, I have had a similar experience. I went raw 80-10-10 for a time and it was not the best for my body, I needed to add a small amount of cooked food (mostly beans and vegies) for strength and centeredness. I think it is so important to listen to our bodies, all of us have different bodies and different lives (activities, stresses, etc.). We build muscle differently also. I just wanted to encourage you to keep reading and learning and listening to your body because that seems pretty smart to me.

iambrian, I have had a similar experience. I went raw 80-10-10 for a time and it was not the best for my body, I needed to add a small amount of cooked food (mostly beans and vegies) for strength and centeredness. I think it is so important to listen to our bodies, all of us have different bodies and different lives (activities, stresses, etc.). We build muscle differently also. I just wanted to encourage you to keep reading and learning and listening to your body because that seems pretty smart to me.

Thank you plantpoweredwoman. I used to subscribe for the high protein diet from doctor atkin as well. For a while i did lost weight but i felt super weak depressed all the time on that diet.

Took me a few months and i immediately got out of that paradigm. I believe in doing what's work for your body vs follow any kind of dogma.

• 1 year later...

Not super familiar with 80/10/10 diet, but agree with previous posts that YES, fruits do contain fibre, but also the sugars (I think) can spike ur blood sugars resulting in immediate but not lasting energy?. I would offer that eating a plantbased whole food diet with a VARIETY of fruits/veg makes it nearly impossible to over-calorie it and pack on the weight. However, that said, eating lots of low-nutrient quality 'junk' can have same effect as typical American fast food junk diet.

I'd offer, according to many books I've read (check out Branden Brazier if you like), feeling hunger can be triggered by either A) body needs energy or B) body needs particular nutrient. When body's need for energy/mineral/vitamin is satisfied, the 'hunger light' goes off.

Me, I go way heavy on the plants...leafy greens, beans, etc. and augment it with the fruit. More fiber, less sugars, probably higher mineral content....

just my ideas anyway....

• 2 years later...
  • 6 years later...
Hello! My name is Kegan and I'm pleased to be at veganbodybuilding.com. I was born in France but now I'm a student at the Purdue University.
I'm normally an diligent student but this semester I had to travel abroad to visit my kindred. I knew I wouldn’t have time to complete my research proposal, so I’ve found a great solution to my problem - ESSAYERUDITE.COM --> https://essayerudite.com/write-my-essay/
I had to order my paper, as I was pressed for time to finish it myself. I prefer EssayErudite as my research proposal writing service because it’s reputable and has a lot of experience in this market.
I received my order on time, with proper style and formatting. (research proposal, 98 pages, 9 days, Master's)
I never thought it could be possible to order research proposal from an online writing service. But I tried it, and it was successful!
I would surely suggest this [url=http://essayerudite.com]essay writing service[/url] to all my friends ;)

• 5 months later...
Greetings! My name is Ridge and I'm glad to be at veganbodybuilding.com. I was born in Belgium but now I'm a student at the Syracuse University.
I'm normally an hard-working student but this semester I had to go abroad to see my folks. I knew I wouldn’t have time to finish my research proposal, so I’ve found the perfect solution to my problem - ESSAYERUDITE.COM >>> https://essayerudite.com/write-my-essay/
I had to order my paper, as I was pressed for time to finish it myself. I chose EssayErudite as my research proposal writing service because it’s reputable and has a lot of experience in this market.
I received my order on time, with proper style and formatting. (research proposal, 59 pages, 10 days, University)
I never thought it could be possible to order research proposal from an online writing service. But I tried it, and it was successful!
I would undoubtedly advise this [url=http://essayerudite.com]essay writing service[/url] to all my friends ;)