Rest Pause / cluster sets

HIT Rob

Hi All,

Here's another method i'd like to share...

I've spoke about using cluster sets on my training log, however i don't think I've spoke about why i use them...

For those who are unaware of what they are, cluster sets are nothing more than a form of rest pause training, there's lots of rest pause variation's, but the one that has produced best results for me is Brian Johnston's 3 rep cluster set method. To begin, the trainee uses 80% of their typical working for 8-10 full range reps, from there, you perform 5 mini sets of 3 reps each, with 3 deep breaths between each mini set. If you get to the 5th mini cluster set and can preform more than 3 reps, do so, go to failure on that last cluster.

Why train in clusters?

Nautilus founder Arthur Jones claimed a that a muscle can regain up to 50% of its ability within only 3 seconds after a bout of intense exercise, this being true, its easy to see how rest pause has merit as an effective training methodology. Other athletes have caught on to this idea, for example, its no uncommon to see an exhausted boxer hug/huddle while fighting... to get a few seconds rest to garner back enough energy to continue knocking the wind out of each other.

Firstly, multiple bouts of exercise allows for more thorough fatigue of the same fibers, (but also additional fibers)...

Secondly, when it comes to high rep / continuous sets, the force production can reduce due to the build up of metabolic wastes, keeping the sets brief with short rests helps accommodate both discomfort and fatigue while allowing for energy to ramp up slightly with the short rest pauses...

Thirdly, from a psychologically stand point, high continuous rep sets can be quite daunting, especially on leg training, breaking it down into smaller chunks makes it mentally easier.

Hope this is helpful...more to come:)

Best

Rob

Edited by HIT Rob