Training for my first 100km mountain race, Jan 2016

CG226X4U8AAGwCV.jpg

I've made a pact with a friend that we will pace each other for the 2014 Auckland marathon. Plan for the first part of 2014 is a few marathons to get back into the feel of the distance (first one is an off road one at the beginning of March), plus some half marathons to help dial in the speed.

Running has started to get back to a reasonable level, just need to increase the distances from now on in

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying a supplement from my work, completely expecting to get zero benefits from it in terms of running. But have been taking it for three days now and my last two workouts have been VERY strong.

A couple of days I did a tempo run and knocked out 13km in a fraction over an hour, and that was with the first 4km ran at a very easy pace. Interesting...

Really looking forward to today, hard session of the week. Driving to Hanmer with the family, it's 140km away and is a thermal resort. Heading out after dinner and I'll get picked up along the way - will be a hard & fast tempo run. Just fueled up with muesli then spinach + mushrooms on wholegrain toast. Right, where's the coffee?..

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know much about marathon training, but looks like you're putting in a lot of work! Are you still lifting? I had a friend who was training for 26.2, and also lifting (i.e. 2x per day training). He looked pretty beat all the time - I was a bit worried about him. How's the business going?

Hey buddy

I haven't even really got started yet, doing a little bit of lifting but I know I should be doing a bit more than I currently am. I was just wary of running too much and too soon, so I'm easing into it but from now I feel like I can start cranking up the volume providing my nutrition stays on point. Food has been good though, nice and varied and the curry I cooked for lunch today was beautiful.

I'm trialing a new electrolyte sports drink, it's vegan and 100% natural so I'm going to probably start stocking it in my shop. Tastes great and isn't at all sweet (which I like). Fruit intake today was 4 bananas, 3 nectarines, 1/2 watermelon and a large punnet of blueberries that I picked from our garden. YUMMO.

rsz_dsc05438.jpg.45b9c6e0d55912fd7356d962dde20b2c.jpg

New electrolyte drink

rsz_dsc05440.jpg.0499f0d72b1d1011f7ec890b3a79f67c.jpg

Homemade lentil & bean curry, 1 x avocado

rsz_1dsc05441.jpg.c6df2c36515c09fa4e2787843a100551.jpg

Freshly picked blueberries from MF's garden

Glad to hear things are going well mate. By the way, I would give ANYTHING for some fresh blueberries right now! Haven't had much decent fruit here (especially berries) since late September. But to have my own garden, with a blueberry bush - that would be sublime! You've piqued my interest in the sports drink, especially since its not too sweet. I'll look it up, and maybe order some from ya!

Glad to hear things are going well mate. By the way, I would give ANYTHING for some fresh blueberries right now! Haven't had much decent fruit here (especially berries) since late September. But to have my own garden, with a blueberry bush - that would be sublime! You've piqued my interest in the sports drink, especially since its not too sweet. I'll look it up, and maybe order some from ya!

Feel free to order some, I'm sure we could sort something out in terms of shipping it over to you. Business is going great thanks, when I took over in December we were 20th overall out of our 26 stores.

Last week we were 11th and today we are 6th, and that's been done in the space of just six weeks. It's pretty exciting and all moving in the right direction mate, my goal is to be inside the top 5 by the end of next month

429308225_Storereport.thumb.jpg.70c8f9d80ccc2e0b175c5a1d652f188b.jpg

Yesterday was a shorter duration, slightly higher intensity day. Ran a moderate paced 5.5km in the morning (picked up over the last couple of km's) in 27mins. Went back out and ran the same route in the evening as a tempo run and managed 25mins. Felt really strong and fast throughout that run which was encouraging. Good training week so far, off to Hanmer thermal resort again this weekend to unwind, nice end to a busy week.

Great article dude, it's really inspiring to see someone who is not only strong but also killing it with the endurance training as well. It leaves me no excuse to neglect the other aspects of training aside from strength.

It was a good week of training, despite not being able to get out for that 16km run. I ate an amazing curry (extremely hot) and knew it wouldn't have been wise! Here's my training for last week...

TUE 14th: 7.1km / 36.50 / ave 11.57kph (fasted morning run)

13.9km / 1:12.00 / ave 11.58kph (evening run)

THU 16th: 5.5km / 27.10 / ave 12.26kph (fasted morning run)

5.5km / 25.25 / ave 13.10kph (night run)

SAT 18th: 20.5km / 1:49.00 / ave 11.28kph (recovery)

TOTAL: 52.6km