Kingclumsy gets Rolling

Hi Everyone

I'm currently trying to summon focus and determination to get into a good fitness routine. apologies if anyone is friends with me on myfitnesspal (blunder_bolt) or posts on nerdfitness as I may doublepost there.

I'm 6'6 and 192lbs and this is a weight I'm happy with. However I'd like to have better muscular size and tone. The main focus of this is my arms as due to a combination of unfitness and developmental dyspraxia I have very thin arms and if I'm insecure about any body part, its my arms!

I'm a keen skater and roller derby fanatic. I'm a trainee referee (Baby Zebra) for Severn Roller Torrent (Gloucestershire's roller derby league) and my long term goal would be to skate for a team (either travel to one or form one here).

I've also rediscovered that I quite like lifting! I'm awful at it but it's my preferred form of excercise (outside of skating). It also allows me to work out my arms, back and chest, which are generally ignored by skating!

I'd also like to focus more on what I eat with regards to fitness. I think I could improve my fitness a lot with a few changes to diet. I also want to cook more and more varied meals.

I skate 2-3 times a week and am aiming to go to the gym 2-3 times a week.

If I have any long term goals they are

-Perform a push up!! (doesn't sound much but I've never been able to do one due to poor upper body strength and general unfitness)

-Pass 25 in 5 (skate 25 laps or 0.9 miles in five minutes)

I'll post photos soon, any questions? Any suggestions? this is a bit meandery but I wanted to get it all down.

Upper body workout aiming towards being able to do pressup

5x5 15kg Barbell Curl

2x5 10kg front dumbell fly (given dumbell weights are for each hand.)

3x5 8kg front dumbell fly

5x5 10kg dumbell row, (alternating sides)

5x5 8kg back dumbell fly

5x5 10kg Tricep extension

6`6? Please eat everything in sight, get massive and become a Vegan monster.

An Honest tempting plan is get massive, re-grow long hair, grow beard, be viking but officejob gets in the way.

As far as Calories go, I have no idea how much I should be eating. I generally over-eat when working out regularly but *shrugs* any advice is good.

Btw, last week, worked out twice last weekend, then fell ill with cold followed by Stomach bug. Back on it today though. One small thing was last weekend I did 2x5 of 50kg squats (not a lot for you lot but good for me) then 3x5 40kg.

Decent (but not huge) amount of protein.

Still kind of full of cold and not at 100% strength. Didn't go to gym due to mis-timing, but managed to do some at home

5x5 (each side) 9kg curls (7.5kg dumbell with 1.5k) focus curls

5x10 7.5kg overhead tricep extension

5x10 7.5kg Dumbell Row.

Not much, but better than nothing and pretty carefully focused, I used the oppurtunity to practice my form which I did well.

Plan for rest of the week

Tues: Derby skills practice

Weds: Derby referee practice

Thurs: Arm day?

Fri: Leg/core day?

(alternatively: Fri Leg day, saturday Core day)

Inspired by Starting Strength

Warmup

2x5 15kg Deadlift to practice form. Not bad, really tensing core, shoulders back

2x5 8kg (each hand) dumbell press (not trusting myself with barbell press without spotter

Main

5x5 10kg Dumbell press

5x5 45kg Squat (tried extra 5kg as 40kg was getting easy, woohoo!)

3x5 25kg Deadlift (Couldve done more, but practicing form)

5x5 Assisted Chin up with 65kg weight (so 21kg lift)

Dead now!! Feel really good though

Warmup

10x5 5kg (each hand) dumbell press (not trusting myself with barbell press without spotter

Main

5x5 10kg Dumbell press

5x5 40kg Squat (tried 45kg but lost balance, realised last time it was easy because I used a smith machine

2x5 25kg Deadlift

3x5 35kg Deadlift

5x5 (each side) 12.5kg dumbell row (new maximum weight!)

Protein: 160g from various different sources,

• 2 weeks later...
I like your training! Kind of like strong lifts 5x5 with dumbbells il be following along for sure!

Don't trust myself doing pressess without a spotter. My upper body strength has never given me reason to trust it before!

Likewise, I may do Overhead presses with dumbells

Stronglifts 5x5 Day 2

Squats: 5x5 42.5 (up from 40kg, will try 45 kg next time)

Overhead press: 5x5 20kg (will try 25 next time)

Deadlift: 35kg (will try 40kg next time probably)

Assisted dips: 60kg counterweight so 26kg

(modiied) Stronglifts A

Squat 5x5 45kg (New PB, will try 47.5 kg next time)

Dumbell Press 12kg in each hand, 5/5/5/4/3 (will do again next time)

5x5 25kg Barbell Row (may do this again as form wasn't Great)

Pullups with 60kg counter, (lift of 29kg) 5/3/3/3/1 (will try again)

Last Friday: Couldnt make it to the gym. Home workout

3x10 Squats with overhead lift (Carrying 7.5kg dumbell in each hand)

3x10 Lunges with one arm 7.5kg row.

Yesterday: Injured knee and back from falling over while cleaning the bathroom ceiling. So Upper body

5x5 12kg dumbell press (New PB, woo, will attempt 14kg next time)

5x5 25kg Barbell row (may try 30kg next time)

5/2/1/1/1 25kg overhead press (Will try again)

5/3/2/1/1 assisted Dip with 60kg counterweight (will try 55kg next time)

Modified Stronglifts B

Squats 5x5 47.5kg (on smith machine as racks in use, will do again)

Deadlifts 5x5 35kg (new pb, still working on form)

Overhead press 5/5/4/3/2. 25kg Compared to Sunday I've improved so much!

assisted dips 5/5/5/5/4! (noooooo!) 55kg counterweight.

My beard is making its return! Lol

I've been lucky enough that my last 4 jobs haven't cared about my long hair it's actually led to some side money on the weekend. My barber asked me to help at his food cart once in a while!

Also when I eventually finish school my life goal is to become a Philosophy instructor, and personally I think a Philosophy instructor has more "cred" with hippy hair.

My beard is making its return! Lol

Also when I eventually finish school my life goal is to become a Philosophy instructor, and personally I think a Philosophy instructor has more "cred" with hippy hair.

Definitely!

Haven't been to the gym recently. Was planning to do two more Stronglift sessions Friday and Sunday but I slipped on the stairs leading to our front door on thursday and fell down half a flight. Hurt my back, kinda sprained my wrist and twisted my ankle so I thought it best to rest it some.

I did manage to take advantage of the good weather and go skating outdoors yesterday.

I will probably return to lifting this week (a strong lifts BAB) but realise I've forgotten my gym shoes, so might not tonight!

18th February

Went to the Gym Before work!! I'm probably busy later so I got up with my fiance (who's on an early shift) walked her to work then went on to the gym. Didn't manage my full stronglifts routine but

•4x5 and 1x4 25kg Vertical Press. So Close!!! Might be able to do it if it wasn't first thing in the day. Stronglifts say drop down (so a week at 20kg) but I might give it one last go.

•3x5 35kg deadlifts. I might've been able to do hevier but my back is still hurting from my fall

•5x5 Assisted Dips with 60kg counter. My aim was 55kg but I did 1 set with it and i could feel my body really hurting so I wound it down slightly and went for just the 60kg.

Really pleased I went before work. Now to see how knackered I am at work!

Just as a note. Went skating around the business park on friday on my lunch proving that it is a feasible source of summer excercise. and Skated into town and up to bath road (about an hours skating in total) as a bit of exploration of town. Bloody awful pavements and my form sucked. A big of core workout maybe?

Starting my Nerdfitness challenge #3 today as a warrior (lifting and strengh focused rather than a ranger) and am already in my routine of a minimum of 10 attempted pressups a day (I still cant do full ones) and a (for now) a 20 sec plank.

Fell on my bum and wrist on Saturday while failing to navigate a dipp in a pavement, pain is slightly worrying, hopefully it wont get in the way of excercise.

24th Feb: Stronglifts A (also day 1 of my nerdfitness challenge)

Pressups: 2x10 1/3-1/2 way down

Plank: 20secs, 10 second side planks

Dumbrbell Press: 5x5 12kg in each hand. Will attempt 14kg next time

Barbell row: 25kg 5x5 May attempt 30kg next time but need to work on form

Squats: 3x10 20kg barbell. Gym was crazy-busy and squatrack was occupied all the time (though I cant pass judgement on their routine or method) so did lower weight highter rep. Better than nothing!

Assisted Pullup: 60kg counter weight (so about 30kg lift) 5/5/5/5/4! So close on this, really pushed myself on the last one. I swear, even with assist, you cant do pullups and not feel badass!

• 1 month later...

Right I'm back on it!

5x5 Assisted Pull ups

alternating with

5x5 Assisted Dips

Both with 60kg counterweight

3x15 20kg overhead press

3x10 25kg (2x12.5kg dumbell) press.

These last two were experiements with lower weights and varying speeds, doing a1/3 warmups, 1/3 controlled 1/3 explosive speed. certainly got me into a sweat!)

Tried to go rowing (as i accidentally packed my flat soled shoes instead of running shoes) but my movement kept making the machine jump backwards a little with every cycle! I'm so bad*ss I can row a stationary rowing machine!

Couldve done more but it wasnt until afterwards I realised I'm really not feeling great. Not particularly ill, just not on form

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...