Rossco's journal

Tried BCAA's for a couple weeks and noticed no changes. Also tried HMB for a couple weeks and didn't notice much. My trainer swears by HMB, for quicker recovery after training, and training longer/harder/etc. I tried the green coffee extract for a few weeks, but didn't notice much either. Pretty sure the only supplements we may need are standard vitamins, maybe add in some vitamin D during winter, or B-Complex.

No plans for NYE, other than making something tasty, and having a couple beers before I begin my resolutions. I hear you're out to get sauced!

Hope you have a good time bro!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 to this, especially for the beer!

I've used HMB a few times in fairly decent dosages and never noticed anything from it. There are plenty of studies that have been done on it, but it's not overly cheap. Better off spending the money on beer and food haha!

Post workout beers? You guys are nuts :P

Il steer clear of hmb then, the only supplement I actually find useful is creatine and even that could just be a placebo effect haha.

Right so I'm going to train my shoulders today! Thought it would be fun to try out circus dumbbell presses based on some inspiration from watching worlds strongest man! It sucks that I don't have access to any sort of strong man equipment, unless I bought myown I would have to get a ferry to Southampton/Portsmouth... Would have been a bit of fun picking up atlas stones and dragging sleds haha.

Anyway, I don't have circus dumbbells of course ahha so I'm just gonna load up my Olympic dumbbells with a fair bit of weight and see what I can press, figured it might help with my ordinary pressing strength.

Okay training was cool!

DB overhead press

10Kg x 10 reps

10Kg x 10 reps

15Kg x 10 reps

27.5Kg x 4 reps! Knew I could budge it

DB one arm push press (circus dumbbell press)

I loved these, might start with them on shoulder day to get the most out of them. For some reason my left arm was useless at these. Maybe starting with them will allow me to shift more weight.

27.5Kg x 5 reps each arm

30Kg x 5 reps right arm, x3 reps left arm

35Kg x 1 rep with right arm, x0 left arm

35Kg x 2 reps with right arm, x0 left arm.

Finished up with

25Kg x 10 reps each arm

Side raises, managed to get the form right on these for once, nice and slow too

5Kg x 12 reps

5Kg x 12 reps

10Kg x 10 reps

10Kg x 10 reps

Tricep kickbacks

7.5Kg x 12 reps

7.5Kg x 12 reps

10Kg x 10 reps

15Kg x 10 reps

Drop set to 5Kg x 20 reps

Finished up here, I filmed a couple of sets of the DB push presses but for some reason they're set to private and I can't change it :/ I screenshotted the vid for my new avatar

I've pretty much given up on the vid dude! But will probably film my dumbbell deadlifts on Saturday (can't train tomorrow ) so will upload that hopefully

Also in a few weeks I'm gonna train with my cousin at a gym about a half hours drive from me, expect some heavy barbell deadlifting and squats

Hi mate,

Looks like your enjoying the home D-B workouts, i use to do the same myself for about a 3 1/2 year period, have't to admit, you can get a heck of a workout with just a simple bench and a set of adjustable D-B's.

Absolutely mate have to admit I miss my barbell sometimes but it's nice to try out all these new exercises! Could barely move my arms after the one armed push presses

Do you prefer machines dude? I notice a lot of machines in your journal

Those one arm presses are da bomb:)

Yes mate, i do like using certain machine exercises with some free weight movements salted in, machines allow me to work around a few bad injuries and they allow me to focus more on the inroading of the muscle and the intensity of effort being put forth into the movement as none of my focus is lost on balance and coordination. That being said, free weights are still very productive tools, i feel both have earned the place.

Cheers MF! I just love how powerful I feel with the one armed pressing it looks so awesome haha

Oh Christ man what on earth! That's the kind of weird shit you'd expect at my old gym..there should be an after pic with him flat on his face and a barbell in the back of his skull baha!

Just about got through this session, I just couldn't be bothered at all..

One armed dumbbell deadlift, weight is per dumbbell

25Kg x 8 reps each arm

35Kg x 8 reps each arm

45Kg x 6 reps each arm

55Kg x 4 reps each arm

I liked these, I was trying to work out a sensible rep range considering I had to do them with each arm

Dumbbell concentration curls, weight is per dumbbell

5Kg x 12 reps each arm

7.5Kg x 12 reps each arm

10Kg x 12 reps each arm

17.5Kg x 10 reps each arm, no way I was hitting 12 but I'm happy with the 10

One armed Dumbbell rows, weight is per dumbbell

15Kg x 12 reps

15Kg x 12 reps

25Kg x 12 reps

30Kg x 12 reps

Dumbbell shrugs, weight is both dumbbells combined.

30Kg x 20 reps plus a long hold

30Kg x 20 reps plus a long hold

60Kg x 20 reps plus a short hold

60Kg x 20 reps plus a short hold

Still nice work man. I know exactly what you mean about leg days. I always remind myself that legs are my largest muscle group, so if I want to make gains, I gotta hit legs. The interesting thing I've found is that I feel like I get better training in doing more functional work on legs, than standard squats/deadlifts. I've been adding a lot of different lunges in, even at lower weights, and wake up the next day sore as hell. Something to consider...

Hope you have a solid weekend buddy!

Yeah man my legs get sore as he'll after even the slightest workout haha

So I've been talking to my girlfriend about a few thing with the house, since my weights room is too small for my barbell/squat stands and isn't really stable enough to deadlift 175Kg+ in.. I'm going to use the garden/patio area, any ideas on what I can use to cushion the ground so I don't wreck my patio/weights? Obviously this is just for squats and deadlifts.

I think it'll have to wait until some seasonal improvement.. We're being bombarded with storms almost everyday right now haha.. Which reminds me, any suggestions on what to protect the barbell with so it doesn't rust outside?

Worst training session ever..

I felt like shit half way through, no idea why I just felt physically sick.

Kept going as much as possible but It wasn't nice.

Dumbbell squats

30Kg x 12 reps

30Kg x 12 reps

60Kg x 12 reps

Body weight x 20 reps

Lunges

30Kg x 6 reps each leg

30Kg x 6 reps each leg

60Kg x 6 reps each leg

All of these were supersetted with calf raises x 30 reps

Abs

Crunches W/5Kg plate

25 reps

25 reps

25 reps

Each set was followed by lower ab leg raises and cycles.

I might miss training tomorrow.. Maybe I need a little time to refuel and chill

Hi Ross,

Its not uncommon to experience nausea or light headedness when training intensely (this is especially true on larger muscle groups) ...

Its the result of the body burning so much glycogen out of the muscles, it attempts to continue on with more muscular contractions by manufacturing more glucose out of the lactic acid that has been building up within the muscle/s. Not a pleasant sensation, i find a tablespoon of sugar under the tongue helps.