turning mrbear into a mountain!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey MF good to hear from you pal! hope all is good with you

my internet has been broken over christmas so this is a belated merry christmas to everyone.

went to the gym for a HIT upper body workout yesterday and got a bench of 120kg for one rep which is awesome i havent benched that much for years, happy days must have been all the calories over christmas. going to add even more rest days in between workouts as this seems to be working for me, going to try training legs one sunday then upper body the next sunday, then legs the sunday after and so on, i hadnt trained upper body for 2 weeks and then benched 120kg out of the blue that is my reasoning behind the long rest periods. mike mentzer has written about big gaps between workouts also.

happy new year to everyone

Great bench mate:))

Your right about Mikes recommendations, he had some clients train as little as once every 10-14 days, good friend of Mikes, John Little expanded on this with his Nautilus North Studies, after testing over 1000 clients in a bod pod, he found that average trainee requires 7 days (6.6 to be exact) before anything showed up (overcompensation) as the result of a workout. Some individuals he found required as much a 11 days.

He talks about it here...

http://www.ibi-fitness.com/cardio.html

Happy new year mate:)

hey guys, sorry for the late reply still having internet and weather problems.

@hitrob cool, thanks for that link ill defo check it out i didnt used to pay much attention to recovery but im really starting to now by taking longer between workouts now. i couldnt really do it before for fear of losing strength and size hopefully my weights will continue steadily upwards , hope your doing well over there in ireland and weather isnt destroying everything like it is here!

@MF and mr Rossco cheers guys! the happyness from the bench has already gone and i wanna do more again now. i think im weighing in around 92kg now. 100kg is my goal now aslong as i stay injury free

hope everyone is having a good 2014 so far!

Your right about Mikes recommendations, he had some clients train as little as once every 10-14 days, good friend of Mikes, John Little expanded on this with his Nautilus North Studies, after testing over 1000 clients in a bod pod, he found that average trainee requires 7 days (6.6 to be exact) before anything showed up (overcompensation) as the result of a workout. Some individuals he found required as much a 11 days.

cheers for that link Rob, interesting stuff, just browsing around the site now! i trained legs on sunday, did only 2 working sets. 1 set of static hold to total failure on leg extension then straight to leg press for one set of total failure and very nearly puked on the machine and felt pretty rough all day. my legs are still sore writing this on tuesday . probably including warm up the workout took about 10 mins lol, and the leg press was a pb. awesome i always used to be a free weights person, but im loving the way you can concentrate the work so well in specific areas with machines.

cheers for that link Rob, interesting stuff, just browsing around the site now! i trained legs on sunday, did only 2 working sets. 1 set of static hold to total failure on leg extension then straight to leg press for one set of total failure and very nearly puked on the machine and felt pretty rough all day. my legs are still sore writing this on tuesday . probably including warm up the workout took about 10 mins lol, and the leg press was a pb. awesome i always used to be a free weights person, but im loving the way you can concentrate the work so well in specific areas with machines.

Hey buddy,

LOL,i know that feeling all to well:) H.I.T is not a pleasant way to train, but its whats required to best stimulate the body to do what it needs to do. Yes the machines are a very productive tools (certain one's), but free weights can be also. How are your joints, tendons and ligaments feeling with the extra rest?

Hey buddy,

LOL,i know that feeling all to well:) H.I.T is not a pleasant way to train, but its whats required to best stimulate the body to do what it needs to do. Yes the machines are a very productive tools (certain one's), but free weights can be also. How are your joints, tendons and ligaments feeling with the extra rest?

joints and tendons are feeling spot on, and my back is getting better slowly, still having slight trouble with my upper back but nothing too serious. im going to see howthis goes for a while then i might even lower the volume a little more, of my upper body workouts at least as i cant do much less for legs lol. do you think im on the right track with legs one sunday, upper body the next sunday, then legs again the following sunday and so on? i know only i can tell really through progress in the gym and in the mirror, but i like your input on things!

how is your training going these days? still making progress/gains?

cheers

yo Ross, i havent come across any, i have a look in holland and barret now and again but i never really get anything other than vit pills and so on from there...............the vegan ice cream they have looks good though, u tried it? good job on the monster dumbell bench press by the way

Ahh that's a shame, some stores are huuuge and have a great chilled vegan section! Yeah the Swedish glacé stuff I think it's called, it's bloody lovely, shit that reminds me I have some.. Now I have to go stuff my face...

Thanks man I'm proper happy with it hitting 40s next time how's your training? I've noticed you're doing lots of rest days

hahaha you gotta feed the beast my friend, and ice cream is a good place to start......mariusz pudzianowski used to swear by it! 40's jesus haha, can u get them into position ok with out a spotter? training is good thanks doing a proper HIT thing now and its going well strength is climbing nicely.......feels weird for only 10-15 mins of training once a week but it hurts at the time right holland and barret ice cream for me this weekend i think

HIT upper body today, 15 mins of hell.........got some funny looks as i was straining so hard on pec dec static holds lol. got some things going on outside the gym as of late, so its nice to go and clear the mind with some brutal weights, wish i felt how i do when im training outside of the gym.