Get Ripped or Die Trying

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monday, December 30, 2013:

Core Day

(Repeat Twice, Rest 1 Minute Between Rounds)

1. Situp Vup x 20 | Cross Toe Touch x 20*

2. Burpee x 20

3. Stability Ball Pike x 15

4. Side Plank w/ Rotation x 15

5. Jacknife x 15 @ 25lbs | Reverse Crunch Tossback x 20 (done w/ a partner, who pushes your feet down as you pull your legs up)

6. Mountain Climbers x 60 seconds

7. Bicycle Abs x 40

Probably should have done three sets of this, but I wanted to get the evening on the way, and those SitUp Vups made me feel a bit queasy. Either way, got a decent sweat in before heading to wholefoods to get some dinner, and a few special beers for tomorrow evening. Picked up the following: 2009 Goose Island Christmas Ale (an awesome English brown ale), Bruery Reuze (a geuze style sour ale), Revolution Cross of Gold (locally made golden ale that I am currently obsessed with), and my wife got some Metropolitan Krankshaft (a kolsch ale). I might even break out the Goose Island Gillian that I've been holding on to (ale made with strawberries, white pepper, and, I believe, honey - not vegan! sorry...). Anyhow, regarding training, I felt a little underwhelmed with this workout today. For some reason, I feel like getting more static cardio in, even though I know it's not all that conducive to my goals. Maybe a little here and there wouldn't hurt. It would certainly help with my VO2Max, and overall endurance. I wonder if that would allow me to lift more, or train for longer if I did more static cardio. Anyone have any ideas?

Tuesday, December 31, 2013:

NYE Workout (a/k/a Leg Day)

1. Front Squat - 2 x 15 @ 70lbs

2. Squat Jump - 2 x 20

3. Walking Lunge w/ Rotation - 2 x 12* @ 35lbs

4. Lunge Jumps - 2 x 20

5. Bulgarian Split Squat - 2 x 15 @ 50lbs

6. Reverse Lunge to Front Kick - 2 x 12*

7. Straight Leg Deadlift - 2 x 15 @ 70lbs

8. Stability Ball Hamstring Curl - 2 x 25

9. Pistol Squat - 2 x 12*

10. Side Lunge - 2 x 12* @ 70lbs

Solid leg session today. Commitment means training legs on New Year's Eve, right? Had kind of a shit end to the day when my car broke down while my wife was about to drive it home from work. I believe it is the alternator. Couldn't have come at a worse time, since we are currently under contract for a house. Anyhow, I'll deal with that tomorrow, or the next day, or next week... Maybe I'll just sell it as is to whomever wants to come pick it up. Came home, warmed up my tootsies, and sat down with this beer to ring in the new year, and as a final jaunt before I dive into my resolutions. Happy New Year all!

1483766206_Rueuze12_31_13.JPG.276f42462ab58af4d81afd3cc2e123cc.JPG

Thursday, January 2, 2014:

Functional Chores Day

1. Shovel 1,000+ square feet of snow, at minimum 6" depth.

2. Shoulder carry two 50lb bags of rock salt approximately 500 feet.

3. Dispense one 50lb bag of rock salt onto pavement.

4. Laugh at my expression of derision in burying my neighbor's friend's car, which is parked illegally on our side of the parking lot.*

First training of the new year, and not one foot set in the gym! Felt great to get outside in the cold and shovel up a shitload of snow. Hopefully this really worked the back, shoulders, legs, and core. I think I was out there shoveling for at least 90 minutes.

Favorite part of today's training was carrying those bags of rock salt all over Home Depot, on my shoulders, while all the other dudes, with their girlfriends, were using carts to push around one bag straight to the register! HAHAHA! I felt like screaming out "no meat in two years, and all this raw ultimate power!!" lol

Back to the gym on Saturday for an all over training, definitely hitting up some solid deadlifting.

*Note: This person is indirectly responsible for my wife taking my car to work on NYE day, which, as noted above, broke down and had to be towed. They deserve to be towed, but will be buried in snow instead.

Thanks, fellas. I love being outside, especially for some snow training! I managed to take a pic of their car after I finished cleaning up. I tried to make the lines surrounding it as sharp as possible, so they knew it was deliberate! Fuckers!

Buried!.jpeg.90b7cb41dd022464aa8ddae343bc00ef.jpeg

Saturday, January 3, 2014:

Saturday Pump Day

1. DB Bench - 4 x 8 @ 140lbs (I actually did 2 sets of 12 @ 130lbs since the 70lb DB's were being used, but 4x8 was my intention)

2. KB Snatch/Clean/Press - 4 x 12* @ 25lbs

3. DB Pullover - 4 x 10 @ 65lbs

4. Squat - 3 x 12 @ 275lbs

5. Box Jumps - 3 x 12 @ 24" box

6. Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 155lbs

7. 3 Way Assisted Pullup - 3 x 12 @ 20lbs assist

8. Decline Bench - 3 x 10 @ 155lbs

9. Farmer Carry - 3 x 200' @ 90lbs

10. Bosu Oblique Crunch - 3 x 15*

11. Battle Rope Waves - 3 x 30seconds

12. Medicine Ball Slams - 3 x 15 @ 15lbs

Felt good to get in and lift some heavier shit after a few days away from heavy weight training. Missing my sessions with the trainer, but still managed to get four days in this week. I'm thinking of dusting off the ol' Insanity DVD's, and doing one of those per week to add a fifth training day in. It certainly would make the most out of my apparently endless hunger as of late.

Speaking of hunger, here's what I had for lunch today: Homemade Punjab Chole, with one of these quinoa patties we found at the market. Also added some mango chutney, and a little curry sauce in for fun. Busting out the Indian cookbook we have here tonight to make something similar. The running joke in this house is that every recipe I make involves a grain, and a bean, combined. I like to add squash or zucchini, but the main elements that comprise my diet: beans, grains. Pretty much...

Also, sriracha.

Have any of you dudes across the pond tried this curry sauce? It's ok in my opinion. I found it at a local German market.

Preparing for a deep freeze over the next couple days. Monday is a high off -10*F. Really not looking forward to the commute, especially since it's supposed to snow another 6" on Sunday. I fuckin hate winter.

1403963959_CholeLunch.jpeg.9872732fd868e65477e2a25f8d833f2b.jpeg

Monday, January 6, 2014:

Full Body Circuit Day

(Two Rounds/Rest 2 Minutes Between)

1. 3 For 3 x 8 @ 70lbs (3 pushups, burpee, 3 bent over row)

2. Waking Lunge x 12* @ 70lbs

3. Alternating Toe Touch x 20*

4. Lo-Hi Woodchopper x 12* @ 25lbs

5. Wide Leg Deadlift x 15 @ 70lbs

6. Bicycle Abs x 40*

7. Delt Raise x 12 @ 50lbs

8. Sumo Front Squat x 15 @ 70lbs

9. Jacknife x 15 @ 25lbs

10. Supinated Bicep Curls x 12 @ 50lbs

Good set today. For some reason, floor exercises where I am looking up at the cieling, and holding my chin toward my chest, always make me feel nauseous afterward. Did I mention that it is -15*F outside here today? With a wind chill of -44*F? Yeah. Went to work this morning, which requires a short walk to public transit. Eyes teared up due to the wind, and immediately froze on my eye lashes. Came home early because my boss is cool (not the same boss that made us come in), and will likely take tomorrow off as well. Best part about coming home early on a Monday? My wife has Monday's off, and I walked in to her making these! (it was tough to train through the delicious aromas haha!)

See you tomorrow for legs!

Vegan Acorn Squash Empanadas with Roasted Pepper-Cilantro-Garlic Spread

Empanadas.jpeg.e3676af5b3636159cc4114e0817809b8.jpeg

Tuesday, January 7, 2013:

Leg Day

(Two Rounds/Rest 90 Seconds Between)

1. Front Squat x 15 @ 70lbs

2. Squat Jump x 20

3. Angled Lunge x 12* @ 70lbs

4. Lunge Jumps x 20

5. Single Leg Deadlift x 12* @ 35lbs

6. Reverse Lunge to Front Kick x 12*

7. Bulgarian Split Squat x 12* @ 50lbs

8. Stability Ball Hamstring Curls x 25

Didn't have much time today, and I'm stressed as fuck so I did this as a circuit, and only two rounds. I planned on doing these as supersets, and for three rounds each. Stressed over the move, and it's messing up my appetite/eating schedule. I basically skipped lunch, and by 7pm, realized that I had only consumed about 1,200 calories today. Ate up some of these lentils I have in the fridge to bring me up to about 1,600. Still far too low, but stress really affects my appetite. Oh well, I was looking to lose a couple pounds anyhow! Bailed on work today since it is so damn cold here. Ended up sleeping til about 9:30 this morning, so I guess I needed the rest. Seriously cannot wait for February 9 (moving day!). Actually, strike that... I cannot wait for this winter to fuck off. I want to be on my new deck, in the summer heat, shirtless, mowing the lawn, drinking ice cold summer beers, and grilling vegan stuff.

Oh yeah, something my wife and I talk about all the time.... The house we bought has all brand new appliances in it, which means that nary an animail based product will ever touch our stove or oven! That really excites me! I don't follow a halal diet or anything, but it's still pretty cool.

Doing a complimentary session tomorrow with a new trainer. I've heard he likes to do a bunch of timed exercises, which I think are the hardest - I find it difficult to pace myself, so I usually spend the lot at the beginning, and leave nothing in the tank for what comes after. Frankly, I wish they would let me out of this contract, as I am too busy/stressed to devote the attention, and I feel like I can handle my fitness on my own now. I'm ready to get in the gym on Saturday and kill it. All I know right now is, I'm exhausted...

Wednesday, January 8, 2014:

Plyo-HIIT Day (a/k/a New Trainer Day)

So I worked tonight with the new trainer. It was a good session, but a little bit remedial as far as exercises go. We did a LOT of pushups, in various forms, some kettlebell work, the battle ropes, some squats, some squat jumps, tricep kickbacks, tricep dips, lunges, curls, etc.

By the way, I HATE writing out my sessions like this, but the exercises were kind of random, so I didn't have a chance to commit them to memory.

Anyhow, nearly everything was for time, instead of reps. I find this to be more difficult as far as pacing goes, but I definitely worked up a solid sweat. Since I'm only going to be working with this guy for a couple months, I suppose this will do.

Came home and had a big salad for dinner. Feeling good! Need more rest. Taking tomorrow off to start packing up this place.

Trainings looking good to me mate, so this whole new trainer thing, you ever thought about going trainer less and getting on a programme like 5x5? Some forum members here have made crazy progress with that! Including myself

Hope the move goes okay bud!

Ps shit man.. Those empanadas look incredible, I think we call them Cornish pasties over here hahaha

Favorite part of today's training was carrying those bags of rock salt all over Home Depot, on my shoulders, while all the other dudes, with their girlfriends, were using carts to push around one bag straight to the register! HAHAHA! I felt like screaming out "no meat in two years, and all this raw ultimate power!!" lol

Thanks, fellas. I love being outside, especially for some snow training! I managed to take a pic of their car after I finished cleaning up. I tried to make the lines surrounding it as sharp as possible, so they knew it was deliberate! Fuckers!

2 quotes that brightened up my day

"Favorite part of today's training was carrying those bags of rock salt all over Home Depot, on my shoulders, while all the other dudes, with their girlfriends, were using carts to push around one bag straight to the register! HAHAHA! I felt like screaming out "no meat in two years, and all this raw ultimate power!"

Amazing!

I love when I'm in holland and Barrett's (health food store in the UK) and I see laddish douche bags trying to walk with their chests all puffed out and straw arms buying whey protein, whilst I'm buying braised tofu and vegan pastries etc, it's nice to shake my head and smile haha! It's the little victories mate

Saturday, January 11, 2014:

Saturday Pump Day

1. BB Bench - 3 x 12 @ 155lbs

2. Single Arm Row - 3 x 12* @ 60lbs

3. Chest Pullover - 3 x 12 @ 60lbs

4. Squat - 3 x 12 @ 285 (a bit of a fluke, as I noticed I had one 35lb plate on one side, and a 25lb on the other - only after the fact)

5. Squat Jumps - 3 x 15

6. Wide Leg Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 100lbs

7. Seated Angled Close Grip Lat Pulldown - 3 x 12 @ 105lbs

8. Hi-Lo Woodchopper - 3 x 12* @ 50lbs

9. Elevated Pushup - 3 x 12 (did the first set as plyo's)

Woke up super tired today, and have so much shit to do for our move that I probably shouldn't have gone to the gym - but here I am right? Maybe I'll take next Saturday off. Got in and out for today, and skipped my usual 10 - 12 exercises, as I knew I'd be getting more calories burned by packing/throwing stuff away. Honestly can't fucking wait to get out of this place, and have everything wrapped up - it's been kind of all consuming trying to buy this house. Anyhow, I'm off to start on the day (at noon, no less). One last thing...

Saw this guy doing glute bridges adjacent to the squat rack, using the squat bar, and I mean RIGHT UP AGAINST the squat rack. What a fucking doucher! I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to drop the whole 285 on his face! Honestly, there is NO reason he would need a barbell to do glute bridges - use a fucking plate! Some people...

Have a good weekend everyone!

Sunday, January 12, 2014:

No formal training today, but I did a ton of packing, which meant lifting and carrying boxes all over. Plus, I found these big blue Ikea bags that I've been stuffing full of things to toss out - then carrying them down two flights of stairs, and out to the dumpster. I'd call that one hell of a farmer's carry (each time I bet they were in the 70lb range for each hand). Once I got them to the can, I'd do a front raise to get them up to the bin. Gotta have some bit of ingenuity!

Not sure I'll get to train tomorrow, as the LL has some potential tenants coming through. If I do though, it'll be all core!

Monday, January 13, 2014:

Core Day

1. Stability Ball Pike x 20

2. Burpee x 20

3. DB Swings x 20 @ 35lbs

4. Oblique Crunch x 20*

5. Stability Ball Passback x 20

6. Mountain Climber x 60 seconds

7. Hanging Knee Raise x 20

8. Bicycle Abs x 40

9. Side Raise x 20* @ 35lbs

10. Russian Twist x 15* @ 25lbs

11. Stability Ball Pike x 20

12. Burpee x 20

13. DB Swings x 20 @ 35lbs

14. Oblique Crunch x 20*

15. Stability Ball Passback x 20

16. Flutter Kicks x 15*

17. Hanging Knee Raise x 20

18. Bicycle Abs x 40

19. Side Raise x 20* @ 35lbs

20. Russian Twist x 15* @ 25lbs

Stressed as fuck, but got this in today. Possibly how I managed 20 consecutive pikes on the stability ball. Don't feel like posting much, except for: GET THIS SHIT OVER WITH ALREADY! Training tomorrow w/ the new guy. In a bad mood.

Music Tonight: Soundgarden, Superunknown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh5JTWxuYE8

ps. Why the fuck doesn't the youtube function work anymore?????