Rob's High Intensity Training Log

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the last year my focus has been on hypertrophy specific training, but for the up and coming year i'm going to be implementing some different training methods. I've always been into martial arts, so am going to salt in some martial arts training and power/explosive training (farmers walk, tire flipping, power slide etc). I guess this year i lost sight of some other important aspects, ie athleticism, explosive power, function etc.

Edited by HIT Rob

Over the last year my focus has been on hypertrophy specific training, but for the up and coming year i'm going to be implementing some different training methods. I've always been into martial arts, but am going salting in some martial arts training and power/explosive training (farmers walk, tire flipping, power slide etc). I guess this year i lost sight of some other important elements, athleticism, explosive power, function etc.

Watching worlds strongest man has made me want to implement this sort of thing into my training! If only I could truck pull haha

Over the last year my focus has been on hypertrophy specific training, but for the up and coming year i'm going to be implementing some different training methods. I've always been into martial arts, but am going salting in some martial arts training and power/explosive training (farmers walk, tire flipping, power slide etc). I guess this year i lost sight of some other important elements, athleticism, explosive power, function etc.

Watching worlds strongest man has made me want to implement this sort of thing into my training! If only I could truck pull haha

He he, actually Glen Ross does his truck pull day just round the corner from me every Saturday morning. Maybe i should get hooked up lol.

Today's workout...

1. Seated Leg Press 250kgs - in 3 rep cluster set fashion

2. Power slide - 140kgs - 6 runs (about 20 meters per run, with 30 second rests between runs)

3. Stiff Legged DL - 100kgs - in 3 rep cluster set fashion

Didn't need to train calfs, they were very fatigued from the power slide, enjoyed using it, different:)

He he, actually Glen Ross does his truck pull day just round the corner from me every Saturday morning. Maybe i should get hooked up lol.

What!! That's amazing haha, just join him for a truck sesh! Get a vid too ahha you're so lucky

LOL, i couldn't budge half the tonnage he does, i think he weighs 36st these days. Word round the camp fire is he's organizing arm wrestling contest open to the public at Easter in a shopping center in my home town, apparently some farmer won it last year, he went on to win the all Ireland title. Its something i'd love to try, but I've no experience and wouldn't know were to start to find a coach.

Hey dude, was looking for a little advice, do you reckon it's worth doing one armed dumbbell deadlifts? I don't have access to my barbell anymore and I realised I could get more weight in the lift switching to one armed DB deads.

Thought I would ask as I know how knowledgeable you are! Anyways thanks in advance and hope everything's cool your side of the water

Hi Ross,

Yes mate, i used to use them myself a few years ago, their easier on the lower back, takes ya to have big D-B's. I started using them when i watched this video of MMA fighter Jeff Monson using them...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAE9l8LyRSM

Hope this helps mate

Hit the boxing gym today, had a blast, haven't boxed since i was in the army. I've trained in several different "striking" systems over the years, however i feel boxing is one of the most realistic fighting styles there is. Fancy high flying kicks and tip tap rapid fire wing tsun punches imo just don't cut the mustard in reality.

So today was just finding my feet again, some light bag work, focus mitts, maze bag etc. Was good fun, whats more, its helped loosen my back up, though my lats and rear delts are sore as feck lol.

Back on Wednesday night for round 2, meeting up with the head coach, see what he thinks of my movement, technique etc.

The H.I.T workouts will be every 7-10 days, with 2 boxing workouts in between that window.

Sounds awesome man when I spar in taekwondo I always favour punches over flying kicks haha

Do you have the chance to spar or are you just using bags? Let us know how it goes dude

Hey mate,

Love sparring, though i train purely for self protection, so i train with reality in mind. I like dirty boxing, ie when in close i like head butts thrown in, grabbing the back of the opponents head and pulling them onto the punch, elbows, stepping on the opponents foot when they try to step away etc, i also prefer shorter all out punching rounds (15-30 seconds) mixed in with the 2-3 minute rounds.

• 2 weeks later...

Upper body workout last night...

1. Underhand Pulldowns - one set to failure + static hold to failure

2. Flat shoulder width grip smith machine Bench Press - one set to failure + static hold to failure

3. Smith Machine High Pulls (Bill Sahli style -

), one set to failure + static hold to failure

* Performed these in partial rep style, only top half stopping just before lock out

Hi MF, hows it going mate:)

I've generally been sticking with the smith machine this weather, purely because i feel there's a sizable portion of my efforts lost on balance and coordination with free weight version's. I like to put my feet up on the wall (machine is close to it), and use a thumb-less grip to better isolate the targeted musculature.

Anyho, hows your new business going, busy busy?

Cancelled my gym membership today, place was teeming with posers and the music was way to loud, couldn't focus properly. So for now am just going to be training at home with free weights, its not ideal for me, but its only sort term. Been hitting the boxing club twice a week, really enjoying it, my lower back is feeling a lot better this weather, haven't require as much pain relief (never a bad thing:)

Well, went to check out another gym today with the intention to just have a nosy about it, but when i seen a full line of brand spanking new hammer strength and life fitness machine, i said "sign me up" lol, whats even better is, the first 3 months of the membership is free. This gym also has the only Olympic lifting station's in the country, stongman equipment, and an Olympic sized swimming pool...frecken awesome gym, like a kid in a sweet shop trying out the machines today. Really like the iso hammer row and hammer deadlift/shrug machines, i can see those playing a big part in my training.

Well, went to check out another gym today with the intention to just have a nosy about it, but when i seen a full line of brand spanking new hammer strength and life fitness machine, i said "sign me up" lol, whats even better is, the first 3 months of the membership is free. This gym also has the only Olympic lifting station's in the country, stongman equipment, and an Olympic sized swimming pool...frecken awesome gym, like a kid in a sweet shop trying out the machines today. Really like the iso hammer row and hammer deadlift/shrug machines, i can see those playing a big part in my training.

nice mate, glad you found somewhere more suitable! will be looking forward to your journal updates

Cheers mate, much better training environment, its going to be hard for me to stay out the gym long enough lol. Hey, something else that's great, the leg extension is right beside the leg press, as is the pec deck flye and iso hammer chest press, great for pre-exhaustion:))

Hit the gym tonight for a full body workout of sorts...

1. Seated Leg Press Machine

stack x 14 reps to failure

2. Iso Hammer Pulldown

100kgs x 8 reps to failure, then a 10 second rest pause, followed by one static hold to failure

3. Iso Hammer Shoulder Press

90kgs x 4 reps to failure (little too heavy, i'll drop down 5-10kgs next time)

Each movement was performed to failure with a 2-2-4 cadence (no pause on the LP and SP). The next workout will be Hammer Deads, Chest Press machine and Hammer Rows. Love the new gym, much better equipment and atmosphere in the place.