Martial artist from the uk, new here!

Hi guys! My name is Lee I'm 25 years old from England and now living in Scotland. I've been vegetarian for just over a year now and vegan for about half that. I've been training in martial arts since I was 7, here's a video of me getting beat up for my 3rd Dan in freestyle karate;

I was hoping to chat with you guys about training and how veganism has effected you both in regards to your martial arts practice and competition if you do compete, I understand it is not every martial artists goal to fight and I respect that.

I eat a high fruit diet and I really love it, I joined here because there's such a wealth of free information on vegan body building, I can't wait to look like Bruce Lee!

Tell me about your training and share any videos you have!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi there mate.

I've studied a few martial arts and have been doing Kendo as my primary. Swinging a bamboo sword for two hours is a... ahem.. unexpected workout.

The odd thing is that you need to know your body, everyone is a little different, for example I need to eat before and I can't drink during, I down all my water before hand with enough time for me to goto the toilet. If I drink water during I seem to get sluggish, sounds really odd but that seems to be me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

we're coming outta the woodwork! Orange belt w/1 stripe Go Jui Bu-jitsu (karate+Judo+BJJ) and now working on my Level 1 in Krav Maga.....(really liking the Krav, seems much more self-defense direct application where MMA so far more suited for sparring, competition fighting....).

Veg for 12 years, vegan for 3 now. Had to tweak my food intake on KM days to better stoke up the energy/endurance needed. Got it pretty well now. Found that adding in some chia seeds into my bottle of water during workout helps too.

PLUS, married to a brit lass from yorkshire...

I kickbox a couple of times a week and am a couple of belts off of going for my black belt.

I've been a veggie for 14 years now and am reducing my dairy intake whilst trying to get fitter and slim down. I don't find I do anything different on days I train to days where I'm not training or just at the gym. I try and eat cleanly as much as possible and take on a sensible amount of water.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello!

I've been training in Shotokan karate for five years. I've been vegetarian for all my adult life, but vegan for three years. Changing from vegetarian to vegan didn't effect my martial arts stamina or ability at all. Over the past year I've focussed on building muscle and that really has made a difference to my karate. My stamina is improving and my stances are cleaner and more stable all across the board. I also hit harder, of course! Focussing on total body muscle gain has also rid me of a few soreness/pain issues in my joints and lower back. The muscle gain has really stabilised my joints, so I'm hoping that will protect them from the typical martial arts wear and tear we all see down the years from bad form and too much repetition.

When it comes to food, I eat the same diet on karate days as other days, but I'm ravenous after training, so I usually try to plan a healthy snack for when I get home, otherwise I'm just tempted to grab convenience food.