Rossco's journal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nailed shoulders today

I've noticed on here and on Instagram that most people post in pounds, so I thought I would post both so people have an idea of what I'm lifting

One arm overhead press/circus press

25Kg x 5 reps each arm (55lbs)

25Kg x 5 reps each arm (55lbs)

32.5kg x 5 reps each arm (72lbs)

32.5Kg x 5 reps with right arm (72lbs)

32.5Kg x 4 reps with left arm (72lbs)

Seated overhead press- weight is both dumbbells combined

20Kg (44lbs) x 10 reps

30Kg (66lbs) x 10 reps

45Kg (99lbs) x 10 reps

Side raises - weight is per dumbbell and reps are per arm

5Kg (11lbs) x 12 reps

5Kg (11lbs) x 12 reps

12.5Kg (27.5lbs) x 12 reps

12.5Kg (27.5lbs) x 10 reps

Drop set to 5Kg (11lbs) x 12 reps

Didn't do tricep kickbacks today!

Haha I've got protective mats matey

Right, I sat down yesterday, had a read through 5/3/1 I have on PDF (thanks Jim) and it's got me stoked to train! I'm borrowing my dad's van on Wednesday after work to move all my equipment (squat stands, barbell, big weight plates, belt, chalk) to my new house!

My training will look a bit different, with heavy deads and squats (il be using a similar training style to 5/3/1 with them) il also do the occasional barbell ohp and bench, depending on time, lastly I'll be doing hill sprints as soon as I find a decent hill around here haha! Il still do dumbbell bench/ohp and circus presses, with the squats stand il be able to do pull-ups on the barbell and dips on the safety catches! So il have more exercises at my disposal.

I'll likely start all of this Thursday or at the weekend, for now I'll do some light dumbbell training and body weight exercises to save myself for super heavy deads!

Last chance for someone to talk me out of deadlifting and squatting on the same day!

Look forward to seeing how you go with the 5/3/1, it's pretty foolproof and the gains should come slow and steady. You just have to stick to the programme and work hard, same as all of them I guess.

You have a good weekend? Did it stop raining?

Yeah I did it before for about 4 mesocycles and enjoyed it, I won't be following it properly though just borrowing the layout for my squats amd deadlifts :P

Fuck the rain man I'm training on Wednesday regardless haha

Those are some pretty big numbers up there for the shoulder work, making me feel like a little girl! Glad you had a solid weekend mate, and that you're getting your gear back in action. I wish I had some (or all) of the equipment you've got - especially the barbell!

Those are some pretty big numbers up there for the shoulder work, making me feel like a little girl! Glad you had a solid weekend mate, and that you're getting your gear back in action. I wish I had some (or all) of the equipment you've got - especially the barbell!

In hindsight it wasn't a smart investment (all my equipment) I would have to use it all for years before I made the money back that I would have spent on the gym haha, but I love having it! Will have to buy £80-£100 worth of plates providing I increase my deadlifts as much as I would like the Olympic barbell and weights cost me about £200 ish the stands were about £80 and my bench was £50 haha.. All of which were on big sales!

Hey Ross - You could rig up a tarp or some other waterproof sheeting over your patio, provided your neighbors don't mind the look of it. That would keep you out of the rain and provide some shade for the summer so your bar doesn't get super hot from sitting in the sun. Your bar is still likely to rust pretty quickly though, given your climate. If your plates are coated or painted they should be OK until they get scratched up.

If you go back and edit the first post in the thread you can change the subject.

Ahha I can pretty much already deadlift 400lbs man, it's 440lb I'm working towards you times kg by 2.2 to get the poundage

I'm up early and have work at 11 so I'm gonna get some freezing cold early morning squats in an hour or so once I've guzzled my coffee,

I've programmed all my lifts for this month on squat and dead and my squats look too heavy.. I'm considering knocking 10kg off each set considerng I haven't barbell squatted since September..

Il see how I feel after warm up

I started 5/3/1 this morning so far just for my deads and squats, my goal for the year is a 200Kg dead and a 140Kg squat so wish me luck!

Squats today

Squats: 5/3/1

Warm ups- 40Kg x 5 reps, 50Kg x 5 reps, 50Kg x 5 reps

Working sets;

62.5Kg x 3 reps

75Kg x 3 reps

85Kg x (3 reps or more) 8 reps, video included

Assistance:

Calf raises

60Kg x 10 reps

60Kg x 10 reps

60Kg x 10 reps

60Kg x 10 reps

60Kg x 10 reps

Lunges w/ 10 Kg plate

3 sets x 10 reps each leg

Ab crunches

5 sets x 10 reps

As you can see from the vid, the mrs had work early so I trained in my living room all my equipment was frozen solid from being in the shed all night haha

http://youtu.be/s8-oyeSJ1aE

my goal for the year is a 200Kg dead and a 140Kg squat so wish me luck!

Hell yes! I look forward to seeing you hit those numbers and more, sir.

Thanks man you're one hell of a source of inspiration by the way.

5/3/1 military press, so I caved and I'm going all out on 5/3/1 properly and pretty much to the book

Military press

Warm up sets; 20Kg x 5 reps, 32.5Kg x 5 reps, 37.5Kg x 5 reps

Working sets:

40Kg x 3 reps

45Kg x 3 reps

50Kg x (3 or more) 8 reps, video included. Could have done way more but didn't like the idea of going to failure.

Assistance:

Circus presses; 3 sets of 25Kg x 5 reps each arm.

Keeping these in my routine because they're so fun and help me get that power out of the press

Dumbbell side raises ( weight is per dumbbell );

5 sets of 10Kg x 10 reps each arm.

Tricep kickbacks;

5 sets of 10Kg x 10 reps each arm.

Great little session, as you can tell by the video I trained in my living room again, the mrs was at work and I'm off all weekend so making use of my time

Rest day tomorrow, think I may go out for a few beers, my legs and glutes are in agony today haha

http://youtu.be/R2JOEF3yWcI

5/3/1 Deadlift

Deadlifts:

Warmups:

60Kg x 5 reps

70Kg x 5 reps

90Kg x 3 reps

Working sets:

105Kg / 231lbs x 3 reps

120Kg / 264lbs x 3 reps

135Kg / 297lbs x (3 or more reps) 5! Could have got more but grip was bad and I've lost my chalk

At this point I felt pretty shit, did so ittle assistance but didn't log it all so I've forgotten baha, nothing exciting :P