Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Getting Serious about Getting Big
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:22 pm 
Manatee

today i grabbed a vegan cookie out of the vending machine at the gym on my way to the locker room and took a few bites before changing into my gear. that’s right, vegan cookies in the gym vending machine. i’m super spoiled. anyway, i had a few calories pre-workout, and lo and behold, no sore stomach afterwards, even on deadlift day. i’m not sure if a cookie is the right thing for me to be eating before lifting hah but it did the trick today. i’ll just have to get in the habit of having a bite or two of something before going in, just enough to keep my stomach happy without feeling weighed down.
i ran into a couple of my students at the gym today… which was actually not awkward. i liked getting to sneak a peek at the workouts that they do, because one of them is pretty built and i’ve been watching him get bigger over the past few months at this new lab so i’ve been curious. i was hoping to maybe pick up a technique or two but i think i’m actually mechanically more proficient and he was utilizing machines and more assistance work than i usually get into.
i’m getting stronger. pulled 225lbs today. went for 235lbs and couldn’t lock it out, but the lock out at 225 was really strong and i was happy with it. next week, going for 230. just five pounds at a time, and before you know it i’ll be at that 2xBW. geddit. deadlift day takes so much out of me – i’m always thankful for the rest day afterwards.
now i’m gonna eat a GIGANTIC curry for lunch and finish off that cookie. gimme the gains.

deadlifts
10x115lbs
6x135lbs
6x165lbs
6x185lbs
3x205lbs
3x215lbs
1x225lbs

squat
10x95lbs
10x105lbs
10x105lbs (superset with…)
dumbbell side bend
3x10x45lbs

lat pulldowns
3x10x72lbs (superset with…)
kroc rows
10x45lbs
10x40lbs
10x40lbs

leg press
3x10x340lbs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:28 pm 
VBB Moderator

The old cookie trick eh! You are spoiled, the gyms I go to only have whey drinks and poweraide type crap in their vending machines...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:06 pm 
Manatee

I've been away from logging for the past month or so, but I haven't been away from the gym! I've taken up yoga and decided that I'm going to be starting out 5x5 next week. I've been seeing really good gains lately from lifting without a strict structure, but I'm ready to try a structured program for the next month and take it from there. Yoga has been awesome, and I think the fact that I'm pretty strong now has been helping me get into some of the trickier poses more quickly than I would have been able to, say, a year ago. It's nice to sweat and get a good stretch and not be completely wiped out afterwards. I also started my dodgeball league, so every friday night now I've been in a gym full of grown ass adults whipping recess balls at each other and it's a blast.
Anyway, I'll start up logging again for real on Monday after my first day of 5x5. I'm ready.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:58 pm 
Gorilla

Nice. You can make some good gains on 5x5. Just like any other program though, you should give it a few months before you evaluate it or your progress. Which version of 5x5 are you doing? Stronglifts?

That's 200 solid ass-pounds! Good work buddy.
vegan_rossco, the ghost hunter wrote:
I can see how some people might mistake this as paranormal when really its just an example of your brain being an asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:41 pm 
Manatee

once i decide i want to do something, i’m not good at waiting. i just want to get it started. so, i decided to start a 5×5 program and i couldn’t wait until monday to start and i went in today instead. being 5×5, my log is about to get real boring, but hopefully real big. the exact program that i’m following is kind of a modification on your basic stronglifts, 4 days a week, but has a full 5x5 set of deadlifts because i really don't want to cut down to only one set a week :D i’ve felt like a beast all day today since this workout and i’m so hungry. currently lettin some thin sliced tofu slow bake with some perfect philly beef marinade… i’m eatin large tonight!!

deadlift
10x115lbs
5x5x185lbs

front squat
10xBW
5x5x88lbs

cable row
3x5x90lbs
2x5x96lbs

alternating incline db curl
5x5x20lbs

alternating bent over dumbbell rows
5x5x50lbs

notes: definitely adding a 10x45lb warmup for front squats next week. i’ll move up weights on everything, i guess, as i was able to complete all of the sets without feeling like i was at complete failure.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:04 pm 
Manatee

yesterday i got in a volume workout at home with bodyweight and some light weights. i can execute five pullups in a row now. i basically cycled through dips, various pushups, shoulder press, and some raises... hit most of the upper body and left my biceps alone as much as possible because they got hit hard saturday.
today i did an hour of vinyasa yoga, and i love it more every time i do it. the instructor i've been seeing at northwestern is pretty great and i like her style. i always work up a good sweat in her classes (but i also go in pretty covered up clothing-wise so i'm sure that helps).
i think my yoga practice has been aided a lot by my powerlifting, in that i'm already extremely aware of my body and how to line myself up correctly and be aware of different body positions, and that i'm strong enough to hold difficult poses now. i'm hoping that the yoga will also cross over and help my powerlifting and keep me flexible and limber... or... make me flexible and limber haha because i'm not that flexible yet :)
i've been eating everything in sight and the scale won't budge from 123 lbs. i'm now constantly on the lookout for more food. i am attempting to become a bottomless pit, and something tells me these 5x5 sessions are really going to help with that. cross your fingers for me!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:26 am 
Manatee

Woooo lifted big this morning now to eat eat eat for the rest of the day

Squat
10x65lb
5x115lb
5x125lb
4x5x135lb (i approached the squats slow because i have a tendency to get nervous under the weight. but then i crushed it.)

Bent Over Row
5x5x80lb

Chin-Up (20lb assist)
5x5

Straight Leg Deadlift
5x5x135lbs

Lat Pulldown
4x5x87lb
4x87lb (failure)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:42 pm 
Manatee

so sore after lifting today, but i think it’s just because i went real hard. this was my first time using some of my new supplements so it could also be that those pushed me a little extra (alternatively, placebo affect and i pushed myself… we’ll probably never know ;)). no matter what i pulled and pushed around some good weights today and i’m feelin hungry, which means it’s time to grow. scale still at 123lbs. i think the chin-ups from wednesday are responsible for the soreness in my lats the past two days... which is excellent because i'm not sure i've ever really felt sore there. more chin-ups! lat spread, activate!

supplements pre-wo: 4g creatine, 2.5g l-arginine ketoglutarate, advocare spark
supplements during/post-wo: 4g creatine, advocare biocharge (just read that this has BCAAs 4:1:1 so i think i’ll be switching to my new 2:1:1 BCAAs tomorrow and keeping these on hand for BCAA emergencies hah)

close-grip bench
5x5x60lb

machine ab crunch
5x5x110lb

upright row
5x5x60lb

tricep dip (44lb assist)
5×5

ohp
2x5x65lb
3x5x70lb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:03 pm 
Manatee

pictures!!! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:26 pm 
Manatee

hah there's not much new to show right now, but give me a couple months on this plan and when i've got demonstrable results i'll take some good pics :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:45 pm 
Manatee

yo! lookin forward :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:13 pm 
Manatee

Went in Saturday and got my deadlift session on. I really like doing the deads on Saturdays because I have much less of a sense of time crunch on the weekends, and I can just take my time and really enjoy deadlifting. Ahh, the simple things in life.
This 5×5 is killin me in the best possible way. So sore, continually, so this must be doin something good for me.

Deadlift
10x135lbs
5x5x190lbs

Cable Row
5x5x90lbs

Front Squat
10x45lbs
5x5x90lbs

Incline Hammer Curls
2x5x25lbs
2x4x25lbs
3x25lbs

Dumbbell Rows
5x5x50lbs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:31 pm 
Manatee

My focus for 2014 is bench press. I focused hard on deadlifts during 2013, and added 100lbs to my un-trained PR. Unfortunately, my bench only went up ~30lbs from un-trained. My weak bench keeps me from feeling like I'd be a true competitor at a powerlifting meet, and I want to overcome that hurdle both as a mental block (continually thinking I'm not strong enough to compete) and a physical block (I gotta get myself to at least a 150lb bench to be competitive, realistically). Today I did some long hard looking and thinking and reading about form, got myself pumped up, and got out into the gym. It's not big yet, but it will be.

Bench Press
10x45lbs
5x70lbs
4x5x75lbs

Trap Bar Shrug
5x5x145lbs

Incline Bench Press
5x5x70lbs

Roman Chair
5x10

Tricep Pushdown
5x5x96lbs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:52 am 
Rabbit

BeansNBroccoli wrote:
My weak bench keeps me from feeling like I'd be a true competitor at a powerlifting meet, and I want to overcome that hurdle both as a mental block (continually thinking I'm not strong enough to compete) and a physical block (I gotta get myself to at least a 150lb bench to be competitive, realistically).

I think anyone who has ever competed in anything before feels that way, man. We tend to want to hit certain numbers before we hit the platform. I know I did. But when I was first starting out in powerlifting, my coach basically just threw me into a meet after a few weeks of training at that gym. He paid my entry fee so I felt like there was no backing out. I felt like I wasn't ready, like there was no point because I wouldn't be competitive.

I shared that with some of my training partners and they told me that doing that meet would be the best thing I could do, because the first time is more about the experience, learning, the sense of liberation that comes from completing your first meet and the motivation to do it again, but better. I didn't win the meet or anything but I surprised myself with a 90lb PR on my total. It's really an invaluable learning experience that can't be replaced by anything else and really kick-started my training after that. Plus, you'll meet like-minded people (though most of them probably won't be vegan) who can help you reach your goals faster.

Sorry for the wall of text lol, just my $0.02. Looking forward to seeing you get that 150# bench and beyond

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:51 pm 
Manatee

I definitely appreciate the input! I think I need to find a team to lift with - that's priority #1. If I went in with a team, I think I'd feel a lot more confident. As is, I lift completely on my own all the time. Kinda unfortunate but there's not a gym with a team that I know of anywhere within a reasonable commute for me by public transit so currently I'm out of luck. I figure I'll keep pushin and getting stronger and in the next year or two hopefully the opportunity will arise to train with a team and hit a competition!

Squat
10x75lbs
5x5x140lbs

Bent Over Row
5x5x75lbs

Chin Up (16lb assist)
5x5

Stiff Leg Deadlift
5x5x140lb

Wide Grip Lat Pulldown
5x5x90lb

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next