Hello! Seeking insight! :)

optimisticeyes

Hello to All! I'm pretty new to the whole fitness and working out thing. Didn't care for it much until recently. well, my body is what some will describe as skinny-fat, pretty chunky looking in my chest and stomach/ab area. arms and legs are pretty skinny with not too much muscle at the moment...I have been vegetarian for about 3 years now..lately i have been eating a lot of carbs and not working out. i noticed not-so-good changes and that is why im hear now..tired of my body's look and i know i can change it to how i want, but it will take work..

what I am here for is advice on how to reach my goal. I would like to gain weight, muscle, strength, and lose some fat..at least enough so i can look tone, you know..my current weight is probably somewhere between 140-150 and im about 6ft...

what should I do..should I bulk ? do I cut then bulk? how can I gain weight and muscle but lose fat simultaneously? should i just focus on body building or throw in cardio?

sorry for all the sudden questions..its just what was in my mind. any advice or pointing the me to the right direction would be greatly appreciated! thanks!!

Hi, depends on what you want to accomplish and where you are in your physical condition to start with but body builders tend to rotate bulking and cutting, and if you want to build some muscle you'll likely need to start with the bulking rotation first right? Use the search in the upper right hand corner and search key words like bulking or cutting. Also check out the training journals some people keep really detailed ones, me not so much. Also maybe message Mini Forklift, he is always on this site and he is well educated in fitness and lifting.

-Dylan

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome! Sounds like you're after a well rounded approach.

Firstly, tweak your diet. I'm not an ascriber to the low carb thing. Reduce/cut-out processed carbs. More veg and fruit. Might suggest you look at a nutribullet or similar where you can REALLY get in a lot of veg/fruit micronutrients in a meal. Plus you can add in pea protein, chia, nuts, whatever you like to mix it up and balance the nutrients.

Sounds too like you're just getting back into the routine of exercise. Again, well rounded. Cardio to get the metabolism engaged, light weights/calisthenics (weights, pushups, squats w/no weights, pull ups, core work etc.).

As you get into your routine you should initially start to notice firming up in the right places, loss of some fat in the others. Then after your first few weeks start going up with weight training.

How you go about it kind of up to you. Could go to gym 3x week, startout with cardio warm-up then move to weights. Alternatively, like in P90X, plyometric exercise combining weight exercise WITH cardio...2 birds one stone. Personally, I found much better results for me with programs like P90 and Combat!, now just mix it all together for variety. More bulk than I've ever had, and lean.

• 1 month later...