Get Ripped or Die Trying

Tuesday, January 14, 2014:

Trainer Day

Worked with the trainer again last night, which included more of the same from the previous session. A lot of random, mixed bodyweight/weight exercises, such as: kettlebell shoulder presses, bicep curls, tricep extension, dips, squat jumps, pullups with static holds, pushups on medicine ball, pushups on platform, and some sled training (pushing two 45 plates up and down the length of the room).

I'll be honest, the sled training was pretty tough! In retrospect I feel like the training is a bit disorganized, but I definitely worked up a good sweat - which was nice because I'm still stressed as hell. I don't mind training in this style, but I wish it were a bit more organized.

Taking today off, as I've lost 7 pounds in the last 12 days - so I need to rest. Down to 159lbs this morning.

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tuesday, January 14, 2014:

Trainer Day

Worked with the trainer again last night, which included more of the same from the previous session. A lot of random, mixed bodyweight/weight exercises, such as: kettlebell shoulder presses, bicep curls, tricep extension, dips, squat jumps, pullups with static holds, pushups on medicine ball, pushups on platform, and some sled training (pushing two 45 plates up and down the length of the room).

I'll be honest, the sled training was pretty tough! In retrospect I feel like the training is a bit disorganized, but I definitely worked up a good sweat - which was nice because I'm still stressed as hell. I don't mind training in this style, but I wish it were a bit more organized.

Taking today off, as I've lost 7 pounds in the last 12 days - so I need to rest. Down to 159lbs this morning.

Woah that training is all over the place haha but that's cool! Awesome on the weight loss dude!!

You thought about getting on a programme once you're done with personal trainers? That would give you much more organised workouts let me know if you do, I've got good recommendations and I could give you a hand

How's the big cold USA anyway dude? Everything alrighty?

Woah that training is all over the place haha but that's cool! Awesome on the weight loss dude!!

You thought about getting on a programme once you're done with personal trainers? That would give you much more organised workouts let me know if you do, I've got good recommendations and I could give you a hand

How's the big cold USA anyway dude? Everything alrighty?

Oi. The USA is cold, bleak, and unfriendly; and I live in the middle of the shitstorm. When I'm done with the trainer, I plan to continue with what I was doing before this new dude, namely: Mixed HIIT and weight training, four days per week, focus on legs, core, upper body on three individual days, and full body on the fourth. I enjoyed that more. His style is ok, but like I said, it's disorganized. I'd prefer to have things a bit more compartmentalized. It breaks up the week, and prevents overtraining an individual muscle group. I think he's probably more used to training people who only train when they have sessions - i.e. not a real athlete who trains on his own, sometimes harder than when with a trainer.

Thanks for the offer mate. I'd love to trade exercises. I know you're on me to take up 5x5. I don't want to gain a ton of mass, just continue to tone to the point of being thin, and ripped. You know, like a board, covered in muscle haha. I can put together super organized stuff, since I learned so many different exercises from my old trainer; and they are all individually focused on specific muscle groups. I'm just saying that this dude is a little disorganized...

Things have been really fucking stressful lately with this house purchase; or, rather, attempted house purchase. Still waiting on things to go through, yet the closing date is in three weeks, from today... I'm glad I got down to 159 - that makes a total of 89lbs lost (tho I've hit 158 in the past - for a full 90 ). Either way, this shit has taken over my life - one constant fire to put out after another.

I'm ready for the weekend, where I plan to drink myself silly.

Ahha yeah I would have suggested 5x5 :P it's designed for strength btw to build a base, wouldn't get you too big lol! But that's cool man I bet all the volume and dynamics is fun! My training can look bloody boring from the outside In

I know the feeling dude, I'm proper stressed right now, job is very insecure ATM.. Am getting a little panicked with bills due and a holiday to pay for... What you need is a big punching bag to wail on haha!

What are you drinking at the weekend? I may not drink at all this weekend, I haven't trained in a few days and I'm feeling like the weekend could be when I do

Ahha yeah I would have suggested 5x5 :P it's designed for strength btw to build a base, wouldn't get you too big lol! But that's cool man I bet all the volume and dynamics is fun! My training can look bloody boring from the outside In

I know the feeling dude, I'm proper stressed right now, job is very insecure ATM.. Am getting a little panicked with bills due and a holiday to pay for... What you need is a big punching bag to wail on haha!

What are you drinking at the weekend? I may not drink at all this weekend, I haven't trained in a few days and I'm feeling like the weekend could be when I do

Well mate it appears as I've been pulled to be a judge for this Winterbrew homebrewing competition thing... I didn't drink last weekend either, and I'm a bit on the fence as to whether I want to drink on Saturday (which would also require me to miss my Saturday training, as the competition starts at 9am). Plus, I'm fucking beat from this week. I think I'll pass on the competition... Maybe haha! Otherwise, I plan to drink some sour beers (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1146/71994/, http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/590/96366/). The second one I've been sitting on since September, and is very special. Probably the best beer I've ever had, and I only have one 12oz bottle left. Do you like sour beers? Most don't, but I think they are awesome - kind of like a cross between beer and wine. I might also have a nice golden ale, or maybe a solid brown ale, since its a bit chilly outside. Do you have a favorite style?

Friday, January 17, 2014:

No training today, and I bailed on training yesterday due to issues I had to deal with re: the mortgage. Anyhow.. As I was watching some TV, I was curious if I could ever do a one-armed pushup... Well, I tried, and I could! So awesome, I even took the time to make a little video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSMqB2hbnCk

Saturday, January 18, 2014:

Saturday Pump

1. DB Bench - 3 x 10 @ 140lbs

2. Single Arm Row - 3 x 12 @ 65lbs

3. DB Pullover - 3 x 12 @ 65lbs

4. Squats - 3 x 12 @ 295lbs

5. Squat Jumps - 3 x 12

6. Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 175

7. 3 Way Assisted Pullups - 3 x 12 @ 15lbs assist

8. Decline Bench - 3 x 15 @ 135lbs

9. Farmer Carry - 3 x 200' @ 90lbs

Felt great to get back into the gym today after kind of a wonky week. I could tell I needed a couple days of rest there. Passed up on doing 12 exercises, as I knew I was going to have to push my car around in the parking area to get it on a tow truck (from 3 weeks ago). Came home and had some chickpeas, bulgur, and salsa with extra hot sauce. Slept like shit last night for some reason - couldn't fall asleep, and then once I did, I kept waking up all night. Now that I'm sitting at home, I really don't want to call a tow at all - too tired! haha

Tuesday, January 21, 2014:

Feeling like utter dung today, given all of the junk food I consumed over the weekend. Woke up this morning and weighed in at 162, a whole six pounds above my Friday weigh-in of 156. GROSS! I'm sure it is mostly water weight, but I really feel like shit having consumed so much seitan, and tortilla chips! Seriously.... I'm going to swear off all processed foods for the time being. I'm also going to flip my lifestyle, and only have cheat meals once per month, as opposed to twice per month, or even once per week. It's too much on my stomach, and stalls my progress - I'll be spending the rest of this week, and possibly some of next, to get back down to 156.

Training tonight!

Tuesday, January 21, 2014:

Trainer Day

Worked with the trainer tonight, as the aforementioned might suggest(!). Anyhow, another round of disjointed exercises, working pretty much the entire body. Most of them are for time, which I find challenging as far as pacing goes; I tend to blow my load right up front not knowing how many/how long remains for the exercise. If I were to describe what we did, it would be as follows: curls, squats, squat jumps, a ton of fucking squat jumps, lunge jumps, static lunges while doing curls, tricep press, tricep kickback, dips, pullups w/ static holds, and the list goes on and on. Then, he did some stretching at the end, which I thought was kind of a waste. I never stretch, ever, and I feel fucking fine.

Thanks for the condolences, mate, but when I came home I weighed in again and was already down to 160. I'll get that shit back by the end of this week!

Scheduled another training session for tomorrow!

Wednesday, January 22, 2014:

Trainer Day, Redux

Trainer work today... Another bout of similar exercises from yesterday, even some re-peats. I'm not saying this guy doesn't work me out well, its just that I really miss the variety the other trainer brought to the table. This guy just doesn't have the experience, and I would bet that I know more exercises than he does (shout out to well informed trainers!). AAAAAnyhow. Tonight we focused mainly on upper body, with some additional core work. I'd say we did the following:

- Diamond pushups, close pushups, pushups on box (hands, not feet), TRX "I"s, TRX Iron Cross, SB Knee Thrusters, Side Planks, Squat Curl Press, DB Fly's, DB Pullovers, MB Woodchoppers, Bicep Curls (again), tricep kickbacks (again), KB overhead press, KB single arm row, burpee curl press, pullups, chinups, wide grip chinups (seem dangerous given the twist on the forearm), wide grip pullups, pushups on medicine ball w/ static hold... I'm sure I'm missing at least one or two.. You get the picture... A bunch of random stuff, most done for time, no repetition of sets, and basically all over the place.

I've never done P90x, but does anyone recognize this workout? I have this feeling that he pulls a lot of stuff from that. Anyway, looking forward to doing a more focused set tomorrow - likely all core.

Hey, here's a fucking huge salad I ate when I came home!

(sorry it's blurry, and the banana is there for scale, not consumption)

HugeAssSalad.jpeg.40f087b7f7c590147e01f8bc8c7798c9.jpeg

Thanks mate! I was a bit worried whether I could put the whole thing down, but, never fear, I'm always hungry! This week has been alright so far, and almost over to boot. It's been a roller-coaster of a life lately with our attempting to purchase our first house. Seems like it should be easy enough but, no, not at all. I'm sure you can relate!

I did the Insanity program a couple years ago, which was fun. However, I was too out of shape at the time to really see much benefit. I think it took me about a month to even make it through the warmup without wanting to die. I wonder how I would fare today? Maybe I'll give it another run.

Hope you, the family, and the business are well!

Thursday, January 23, 2014:

Late Session - Core Day

1. Stability Ball Pike x 12

2. Stability Ball Passback x 12

3. Side Plank w/ Rotation x 12*

4. Oblique Raise (side bends, whatever) x 20* @ 35lbs

5. Hanging Knee Raise x 20

6. Stability Ball Knee Driver x 20

7. Weighted Crunch x 15 @ 35lbs

8. Jacknife x 15 @ 35lbs

9. Side Plank w/ Rotation x 12*

10. Hanging Knee Raise x 20

11. Bicycle Abs x 40

12. Uh... Hanging Knee Raise x 20

So I was planning on doing some more functional training (read: shoveling snow), but the snow was all frozen, and I wound up not being able to shovel much. Also, I ended up doing some more shit for this house thing - GODDAMNIT let this be over! - So I was feeling unaccomplished today, and thought "hey, it's only 7:00pm, I could get a quick set in." So here's what I did. I'd be lying if I said I broke a sweat doing any of this crap, and even then, I was interrupted somewhere near the end to handle some more shit for this goddamn house. Plus, I had already done that 12th item, the extra hanging knee raises, maybe 10 minutes before I decided to formally train tonight. Ugh. I really really cannot wait for some normalcy in my life. So, everyone from my job (including my boss) is going out for drinks after work tomorrow. I really don't want to have a beer on Fridays, given my Saturday training goals, but I've been so stressed lately that maybe one won't kill my pump day game. Who am I kidding? I can't have just ONE beer. haha!

Hey man hope everything's Okay, don't let things get you down! This house thing will be sorted soon amd you can get back to normal

Get some beers down you haha!

Thanks brother. Things will be ok in the end, I'm sure. At least I'll be alive! Only a few more days until our fate is sealed anyhow. I did have some beers: Monk's Flemish Sour, Cuvee De Jacobins (another Flemish sour). Good stuff, but a little middle of the road. Hope you're having a good weekend buddy.

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Saturday Pump Day + Snow Shoveling

1. BB Bench - 3 x 12 @ 155lbs

2. DB Single Arm Row - 3 x 12 @ 65lbs

3. DB Pullover - 3 x 12 @ 65lbs

4. Squat - 3 x 12 @ 300lbs (calculator online said my 1RM was 427lbs - that's crazy!)

5. Box Jumps - 3 x 12 @ 24"

6. Wide Leg Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 90lbs

7. Low Close Grip Lat Pulldown - 3 x 12 @ 105lbs

8. Decline Plyo Pushup - 3 x 12

9. Hi-Lo Woodchopper - 3 x 12 @ 42.5lbs

10. Bosu Single Leg Crunch - 3 x 15*

11. Battle Rope Waves - 3 x 30seconds

12. MB Slams - 3 x 12 @ 15lbs

Felt fucking awesome to get in and lift some actual weights, instead of just doing the same bodyweight training shit I've been putting up with all week. Stoked to reach 300# on the squat, and wholly afraid of even trying a 1RM on that - pretty sure I would fold up like an accordion! Came home and had a delicious curry, spike with some BBQ sauce - a little Kolkata by way of Kansas City. I love food fusion. Lately my favorites have been Indian and Mexican, or Indian, and Southwest American/TexMex. The sun is out today, and although it is going to snow again tonight, or tomorrow, I should get out there and clear some of this endless bullshit before the movers come and haul all of our furniture straight through it in a couple weeks (and I get to eat more!). BTW, I'm willing this house thing to happen.

Here's what I made - not too far from my standard "A bean, on a grain, with a vegetable." Actually, that's exactly what this is...

(there's a little mango chutney on there too)

1523363460_BGV1_25.jpeg.a18d08680736ae7a438cca690586cccb.jpeg

food looks good as always mate! good work on the squat too, good weight for that many reps!

Thanks buddy! Seems I can't get enough beans, and bulgur! Sometimes I wonder if I go low enough on these squats. I'd say I'm right at parallel to the floor. It was cool to see some bend to the bar though!

Monday, January 27, 2014:

Core Day

1. SitUp Vup x 20

2. Side Plank w/ Oblique Crunch x 15*

3. Burpee x 20

4. Stability Ball Knee Driver x 20

5. Side Bend x 20* @ 35lbs

6. Russian Twist x 15* @ 25lbs

7. Bicycle Abs x 50*

8. Hanging Knee Raise x 20

(Rest 2 Minutes)

9. Triple Situp x 10

10. Side Plank w/ Oblique Crunch x 15*

11. Stability Ball Passback x 12

12. Stabilit Ball Knee Driver x 20

13. Side Bend x 20* @ 35lbs

14. Russian Twist x 15* @ 25lbs

15. Hanging Knee Raise x 20

16. Bicycle Abs x 50

Home early with a bit of post-nasal drip; giving me a sore throat, and a bit of nausea. Cold as fuck here, with a high temp of -2*F, low of -17*F, and wind chills pushing things down to -35*F. YIKES! Good news is that it wasn't a busy commute today, which is always appreciated. Got this quick set in before helping the Mrs. continue packing our stuff. Feeling a little sleepy, but otherwise everything else is solid. Should have a firm answer re: the house by Thursday, if not before. Everything seems to be coming together, but not without a whole heap of bitching and leg work!

food looks good as always mate! good work on the squat too, good weight for that many reps!

Thanks buddy! Seems I can't get enough beans, and bulgur! Sometimes I wonder if I go low enough on these squats. I'd say I'm right at parallel to the floor. It was cool to see some bend to the bar though!

I'm so jealous of your squats dude!!

Get some videos? That way you can see if you're going parallel or not

Nice core session there mate, I'd be pretty sore after that lot!

Beans mmmmmmm...

I'm so jealous of your squats dude!!

Get some videos? That way you can see if you're going parallel or not

Thanks fellas. MF I was reading up on the alkaline diet today, and thought you might be interested in something like that. Beans are in there for sure, but I think it advocates more dark leafy greens. And yes, my abs were sore as hell today!

Ross - I'll try to get a vid this weekend, but no promises in case I'm not all the way parallel - IM SHY! hahaha! I think my leg strength might be my one physical genetic quality. My dad runs marathons (at 62 years old), and I played soccer for most of my life. So yea, predisposed for big quads.