Jamesxvx Powerlifting Journal

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

January 12, 2014

Squats

Worked up to 285 for 7 sets of 5. Did a depth check and it turns out I'm quicker coming up when I hit ATG.

Looks Smolov-esque, sick volume man. I love to train like this sometimes as well--just KILL it on the main movement and be done for the day.

It is smolov, It's the three week program though. I ran the full program last summer and jumped up 40 lbs on my squat. So I'm seeing how it goes on my bench and squat this time. I always find it helps my confidence on that movement because you do it so much with heavy weight, you consistently go in knowing what you have to do.

It is smolov, It's the three week program though. I ran the full program last summer and jumped up 40 lbs on my squat. So I'm seeing how it goes on my bench and squat this time. I always find it helps my confidence on that movement because you do it so much with heavy weight, you consistently go in knowing what you have to do.

NICE!! Can't wait to see how it pays off for you this time.

Worked up to 305 for eight sets of 4. Last two sets were killer and I was leaning over on the last couple of reps. Fatigue got me pretty good, and I was trying to fit that in, in a three hour break from class. Luckily I made it and the squats are beginning to feel a lot better. I'm more solid on my walk-out and I'm finding my setup to be more comfortable.

As long as I'm stretching my hips out a little more than usual before and after my sets, my squats feel deeper and more controlled which is nice.

Looks like I'm on track for 315 on triples on Thursday.

Bench, January 15, 2014

Today was a solid workout. I smiled at a cute tattooed girl who was also benching.

But, even better was a PR.

Bench

barx20, 95x15, 135x10, 185 for 5 sets of 6 ( I was supposed to do 5 reps but messed up my days, oh well), Then 195x5 and then 205x5 which is a pr for me for reps. I've only tripled it before with assistance. Slowly working my way up there to a strong bench.

Keep sticking it out, man. I'd say you're a madman for doing Smolov for bench and squat at the same time, but it looks like you're killing it. I've noticed my recovery time is way down since going vegan--I'm sure that's helping you a lot with all of this volume training, yeah?

I had the same issue man. I started training when I was vegan and didn't know what my recovery was before but I knew I was more sore than most people. I'm all about getting in a big meal a few hours before training and then a solid one after. The shake for me can come in whenever and help me out. I've tried a lot of the BCAA's and amino acid powders and didn't notice that much of a difference in my workout or recovery time. The volume definitely helps, I feel a lot better after a day and can go right into my squats or bench and get the time I need in. You'll get the hang of things.

Ripped up some shoulders today. MP for fives sets of ten at 100. Then Some tricep pushdowns, Incline bench and Lat pulldowns with the fat bar.

Carb back loading has me feeling a lot leaner. I may not look it just yet, but I can tell more of my muscles are activating during my presses.

Hit up some chest yesterday.

Bench135x5

155x5

165x3x10

Incline Bench

Barxtrillions

65x20, 95x15,

115x4x10

Shrugs

45x20, 60x20, 70sx3x12

Close Grip bench

95x20, 115x5x10

Triceps were tight about midway through the close grip sets. I'm happy with repping 165 up, and I have a feeling JTS is going to work really well for me. Hitting up some squats today.