Long time Vegan, just getting started in the gym

XelderX

I've maintained vegan for around 15 years now and it's been pretty simple up to this point. I've been going to the gym for about 6-8 months now at least 3-4 times a week and mostly doing weightlifting. I started out at 150lbs and less than 5% body fat. I'm now at 162lbs and around the same body fat %. I come from a family of lean, smaller framed people and never weighed more than 155 in college despite eating just about anything and everything I could get my hands on. I've been going with a friend who is not vegan and have struggled. My progress has stalled and my ability to lift heavier everyweek has stopped. I've never done any calculations on my diet and we figured out I'm just not eating near enough protien to support my workouts. I'm working on increasing that now.

I am looking forward to learning and eating better as I do enjoy going to the gym and the little progress I've made is motivating. I work a 2 week rotating twelve hour shift so my routines are all over the place. The hours I'm awake and the days I'm at work or not at work constantly change. Sometimes it makes eating and going to the gym easy, sometimes it's impossible.

I set a goal to be able to bench press my body weight by Easter at the start of the year, but the last few workouts I've had to drop down in weight (set weight around 115lbs now and can get 6-7 reps out at 135lbs) I'm worried I won't make the goal, but my friend will help push me. I spent 6 months at the gym without him until last month and not doing full weight for not having a spotter.

I believe my biggest hurdle will be getting my diet in order. I rarely cook, and shopping/planning meals never seems to work out with my schedule constantly changing. Thanks for reading and wish me luck.