Hello!

IsauraSMILE

Hi guys

I'm Isaura, I'm 22 years old and I hate introductions. I never know what to say so I will go straight to the point: I have always been into fitness, but I want to start training "for real". I am looking for gain some muscle but I also need to shred a bit of fat.

Now I am completely out of shape because I come from a period of forced rest due to an injury (nothing serious, fortunately), but before I used to focus only on cardio. I think it's time to change as I have never got the results I wanted, even if I trained harder and harder.

Today I started my new routine, based on 15 minutes of HIIT on stationary bike + 30 minutes of yoga in the morning, and ~40 minutes of strength training in the evening. As I said, I'm new to lifting weights and I haven't access to a GYM... so I don't know if I am doing the right thing. I definitely need some guidance!

I was thinking of starting a journal... so I can post my routine and my meals.

In the meanwhile, any tips are welcome

Thanks and sorry for my English

Isaura

Hi Isaura, I love you name btw. Welcome to the group here. Where are you from? Do you have access to any local trainers, it may be worth while to have a couple of intro sessions just to make sure you are lifting properly and effectively. The Yoga and HIIT are great though. Not sure if you want to be doing all of that daily though. Are you taking rest days at all?

HI C.O.! Thanks for replying

Before deciding to training by myself, at home, I wasted a lot of time looking for the right gym and this was pointless. Seriously... last trainer I met wanted me to do the same workout (with a ridiculous number of reps, up to 16-20) 4 times a week for SIX weeks! He said this is the only way for a woman to lose fat... but sorry, I don't believe this

So... I am not completely new, I know how to perform the most basic exercises but I don't know how to arrange them into a proper workout... that's where I need guidance

PS. I am starting a journal, if not today, tomorrow

sometimes i ask myself where these "trainers" get the right to open a gym and give schedules or tips for workouts..

starting a journal is the best. define your strength and physical goals, so people could help you better.. here is full of nice people that are 3000 times better than your trainer.

welcome

I think most trainers I met weren't incompetent people... they just don't have time to follow everybody so they try to "get rid of the newbie" by giving him/her a pre-made workout printed from a computer. And I have never found a gym where there is always someone available, most of the times there is only a trainer who also has to teach a class (zumba, spinning) at the same time.

So that's why I don't like gyms.

However, I want to ask you a question: do you think I can really train with a limited equipment? I have dumbbells, a bench, ankle weights and a stationary bike. I just made a quick research and all the workouts I found required machines. Do I really need them? If so, why?

I have to lose at least 5-6kg of pure fat (I injured myself and I spent too much time on the counch ) but in the longterm my goal is build some muscle and, more important, gain strenght. I would like to be able to perform at least 3 pullups without the chair (but even a single pullup would be great), squat a decent amount of weight and improve in the short-distance running.

PS. when I asked about machines I wasn't referring to cardio machines... I just discovered that "my" gym has set a daily limit of 20 minutes per person

no when i talked about machines, i meant machines for weightlifting.

by the way if your goals are so simple, just watch your daily calories, and try to burn a good quantity. about strength training, squat is one of the best exercises, with deadlift. (then crunches, curls, rowing exercises etc) with repetitions of 5

• 2 months later...