Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Getting Serious about Getting Big
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:29 pm 
Manatee

I feel like my body is already starting to adapt a little to the 5x5 style of training. I started everything at ~80% of my 1RM for the first week, and pretty much all of my lifts were successful through week 2 after adding 5lbs to everything. It's too soon to really tell, but I feel like I'll be making some good strength gains with this program. I'm definitely doing more pulling and rowing than I'm used to, and it's probably for the best. I think I'll be much better rounded with this program under my belt after awhile.

close grip bench
10x45lb
5x5x65lb

crunch machine
5x5x115lb

upright row
5x5x65lb

tricep dip (35 lb assist)
5x5

ohp
5x5x70lb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:16 am 
Rabbit

Yeah, finding a team or a training partner to lift with is one of the best things you can do imo, but do what you can as you can. You can still get really big and strong training on your own, too. 5x5 is a great program, I used my own version of that to get to 2 plate bench, 3 plate squat and 4 plate deadlift lifting alone. Other people have done even more. Keep up the hard work.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:54 pm 
Manatee

I’m so glad deadlift day is Saturday. I get to take my time, go all out, go home, stuff my face, and crash out for a few hours. Weights are movin up. I’m feeling solid.

Deadlift
10x45lb
5x135lb
5x5x195lb

Cable Row
5x5x96lb

Front Squat
10x65lb
5x5x95lb

Alternating Incline Hammer Curls
3x5x25lb
2x4x25lb

Dumbbell Rows
5x5x55lb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:42 am 
Manatee

must be a glutton for punishment because i hit a full 5x5 session and then decided an hour of vinyasa class directly after would be a super idea... i'm not even entirely sure how i dragged myself to the train and then back home off the train last night. but i did it! got home and made a gigantic meal of pasta (sauce with a few peppers, onions, mushrooms, chick'n, tons of fire roasted tomatoes and topped off with vegan parm - so good) and ate two bowls of it, and even remembered to take my ZMA (actually, Nighttime Recovery from Advocare which is ZMA with some herbs) before bed. today i'm sore, but probably not as sore as i would've been without the big meal and the ZMA and the solid sleep I fell into after. I'll get back in there today.
Also, I found the first balance pose in yoga that didn't come right to me, so now I've got something solid to work towards in my practice and that makes me extremely happy. I wonder if possibly I couldn't get into the balance from my muscles just being absolutely exhausted by the end of lifting and towards the end of class, but I'll work on the pose this week and see if I can't get it down. It's side crow - I can get into crow relatively easily and find my balance, but I couldn't even get into side crow. I like a challenge!!!

Bench Press
10x45lb
5x75lb
5x5x80lb

Trap Shrug
5x5x150lb

Straight leg roman chair
5x10

Incline Bench
3x5x75lb
2x4x75lb

Tricep Pushdown
5x96lb
4x5x92lb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:45 pm 
Manatee

I need to figure out a good vegan fish oil and I think I need to start foam rolling. My body is adapting to 5x5 in terms of strength (weights still goin up steadily on the majority of my lifts), but I'm starting to feel it in my joints a little. Noticing it most in my shoulders, back, and core; no problems to speak of in my lower body. Any tips that anyone's got on this front would be greatly appreciated - I want to keep hitting it this heavy but I don't want to do any sort of damage that'll slow me down in the long run. Right now it's just a little twinge and lower comfortable range of motion, but I'm going to listen to my body and try to stay on top of it. I'm so close to hitting my 5x5 chins without assistance!

Squat
10x65lb
5x5x145lb

Bent Over Row
5x5x80lb

Chin Up (14lb assist)
5x5

Stiff Leg Deads
10x45lbs (double over)
5x5x145lb (alternate)

Wide Grip Lat Pulls
5x5x90lb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:34 pm 
Rabbit

I think flax oil is a good fish oil replacement if you want to take some sort of oil. I'm not sure how effective either of those are at helping with joint pain, though. Definitely start foam rolling, take advantage of it if your gym has them. What are you currently doing for warm-up and cool-down?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:54 am 
Manatee

I usually jog on my way to/from and I do some static stretching and a few warm up sets for the big lifts.

On Saturday I tried a new gym at the university, and I think this will be the place I'll be lifting from now on. It's definitely a powerlifting gym, multiple racks and platforms (and a lot less popular than the gym with all the treadmills and machines) so hopefully I won't have to wait on equipment like I have been. Pretty rad.
Also, I'm pretty proud of hitting my 200lb 5x5 deadlifts this weekend. Good form, good lockout, I'm feeling really solid. My appetite is pretty much raging out of control. I'm a happy camper.

Deadlift
10x45lb
2x6x135lb
5x5x200lb

Cable Row
5x5x100lb

Front Squat
10x65lb
5x5x100lb

Alternating Incline Curl
3x5x25lb
2x4x25lb (this is my third week hitting failure with these, which I think means it's time to drop back down to 20s. booooooo)

One Arm Dumbbell Row
5x5x60lb

One Arm Dumbbell OHP
3x15x20lb (just because...)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:39 pm 
Manatee

I'm trying so hard to enjoy bench press day and I just don't. I don't feel strong on my press and I'm doubting whether the 5x5 scheme is going to be the right thing to get my lifting heavier, because I get nervous under the weight and then tend to not bring the bar all of the way down to my chest so I only get ~3/4 reps and it's still hard as hell. I'm gaining mass in my chest, there's no question about that, but I'm not sure why I don't feel stronger. Added in fly's just to hit the chest again and some shoulder press because I feel like I'm not getting my shoulders enough with this 5x5. Really thinking about keeping my 5x5 for lower body and switching to more of a bodybuilding rep scheme for upper body.

Bench Press
10x45lb
6x65lb
5x5x85lb

Barbell Shrug
10x45lb
5x5x155lb (no trap bar at the powerlifting gym so I used a standard bar - maybe that's better because I used double over grip and that'll help improve grip strength)

Roman Chair Straight Leg Raise
5x10lb

Incline Press
3x5x75lb
5x70lb
5x65lb

Tricep Pushdown
5x5x90lb

Dumbbell Fly
3x10x15lb

One Arm Dumbbell OHP
3x10x20lb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:35 pm 
Manatee

Nice lifts, you`ve been improving. =)

Are you getting big also?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:49 pm 
Manatee

Gettin bigger, that's for sure! It's not showing up on the scale yet, still pretty stagnant between 123-125 lbs, but my shoulder growth is making most of my button downs start to feel uncomfortable and my thighs barely fit in a bunch of my pants anymore so I'm calling it progress! I feel like I need to be eating even more than I am - so I'm really glad that my appetite seems to have kicked itself into high gear since I switched to 5x5. These days I feel like I need an extra meal in between lunch and dinner, rarely do I get the chance to actually eat one but I think that if I give myself the time and prep ahead to get some more food in then the gains will come!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:30 pm 
Manatee

About the scale:

Watch the part that begins at 3:26

congratz =)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:04 pm 
Manatee

today i felt a little like throwing up by the end of my session. shit's getting heavy.

squat
10x45lb
10x95lb
6x125lb
5x5x155lb

bent over row
5x5x80lb

chin ups (no assistance!!!!!!!! but okay maybe a little sloppy it'll get better)
4x5
1x4

SLDL
5x5x150lb

wide grip lat pulldown
10x80lb
4x5x90lb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:16 pm 
Manatee

this week has been rough, body-wise. i haven't been at 100% but i've been getting into the gym and going as hard as i can anyways. since i've started going to a new gym i've had to change a few lifts because there are quite literally no machines at this gym, but that's for the best i think. OHP was really rough at the end of the day today. i've decided that i'm going to deload a little next week and then come back into another round of 5x5 stronger than ever. i'll still finish out this saturday with big deadlifts, though! i've got straps in the mail that should be here tomorrow, and i'll be going for 205# 5x5. i feel pretty strong about hitting that.

close grip press
10x45lbs
4x5x70lbs
7x70lbs (felt strong after the last five so i pushed out a couple extra)

weighted decline crunch
3x10x25lbs

upright row
2x5x70lbs
2x5x65lbs
2x7x65lbs

bench dip
3x10

ohp
6x45lbs
3x5x65lbs
5x55lbs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:50 am 
Manatee

wow i am impressed from all the reps you made with squat!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:18 am 
Manatee

Yeah, I've been really happy with the lower body strength gains since starting 5x5!! I might switch up what I'm doing for upper body days but I think for lower it's a keeper.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next