Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rob's High Intensity Training Log
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:54 pm 
VBB Moderator Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

Hahahahaha. I hate Red Bull and don't overly agree with their drinks, but the sports they get behind are definitely awesome to watch !!

Image @MiniForklift
WEB: http://www.jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-Forklift/161273440616736?ref=hl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:34 pm 
Gorilla

lol, I hate that stuff too, one of my work colleges drinks about 6 cans of it day and barely eats anything, he runs around work all day like a banshee on speed, and the smell of that stuff first thing in the morning is even worse...boke. My fav Red Bull event was that guy that dropped from space at a zillion mph, that was something else:)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:51 pm 
Elephant

check out the red bull rampage downhill mountain bike event then if you havent seen it, hardcore to say the least :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:47 pm 
Gorilla

Currently in the process of taking a short layoff due to my lower back playing up last Thursday, i have a constant bad "toothache" like pain in my groin area due to one of the bulging disc's in my lower back pressing on a nerve, unfortunately very little can be done for it, all i can do is try not to irritate it and medicate myself, thankfully its easing. On my return to the gym i'm going to have't to change things from what i'd planned to do, I've been mulling over some idea's for a month or so now anyway, but after also weighing up the risk vs reward, i going to abandon the heavy consolidated training for a slightly different approach.

When i look over some of my old training journals, compound movements have always delivered best results in terms of increased strength and power, but when it comes to hypertrophy, targeted isolation movements, that provide resistance in the fully contracted position, combined with high stress techniques such as static holds and rest pause have (for me) provided superior results. Given my current situation, i'm going to began employing the latter again.

The movements i planning on using....

Chest - Pec Deck Flye Machine
Lats/Rear Delts - Chest Supported Hammer Row Or Incline Bench D-B Row (unfortunately i don't have access to a pullover machine)
Shoulders - Machine or D-B Lateral Raise
Traps - Shrugs
Low Back - Weighted Back Extension
Biceps - Underhand Chin
Triceps - Shoulder Width Grip Chest Press
Legs/Hip - Leg Extension
- Leg Curl
- Thigh Abduction and Adduction
- Calf Presses
Abs - Seated Crunch Machine

I'll continue to use compound movements for Biceps and Triceps (though the range of motion will be limited or Nil), additional curls, press-down's and Extension's have done nothing for my arm development over the years. If i do decided to leg press or static squat, they'll be performing in low stress pre-exhaustion fashion. I'll be performing these movements to how John Little recommends in his Advanced Max Contraction Training Book, ie over a 3 way split.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:13 pm 
Gorilla

Back in the gym this afternoon after an 11 day layoff...

Chest / Back

1. Pec Deck Flye - 120kgs x 9 reps to failure
supersetted with...
2. Chest Press Machine - 110kgs x 4 reps to failure + 2 forced reps + 2 negative's
3. Underhand Chins - BW (250lbs) x 3 reps to failure + 2 forced reps
4. Chest Supported Hammer Row - 130kgs x 8 reps to failure + drop set of 100kgs x 8 reps to failure
5. Weighted Back Extension - BW + 20kgs x 2 sets of 10 reps NTF

Really enjoyed today's workout, weights are good and my back feels a lot better. One of my work mates joined the gym today as well, he's a bit of a "cheater" (likes to swing the weight, rather than lift it), but he works hard none the less. No doubt we'll have some more good solid workouts together. In 6-7 days i'll take my next workout...which will be legs:)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:47 pm 
Gorilla

Just got a new phone today, so i intend to start recording the odd workout here and there (depending on how busy the gym is), hopefully i'll get a some videos by Easter time. It'll be good to watch my form from another angle.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:29 am 
Batman

HIT Rob wrote:
Just got a new phone today, so i intend to start recording the odd workout here and there (depending on how busy the gym is), hopefully i'll get a some videos by Easter time. It'll be good to watch my form from another angle.

I'm looking forward to that mate :D
How's the storm over your way?

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
There's only one thing I'm riding at 6am, and it's not a bike!

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29098
http://www.facebook.com/ross.d.cosgrove

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:34 pm 
Gorilla

Hey Ross,

Yes mate, i'll try and get something up by Easter. Also, though am in a different gym, am still in touch with Mr N.I John Martini, in the summer i'll try and get a video with him at the gym am at now.

Storms not too bad mate, the mainland must act like a kinda wind breaker lol, lots of flooding through. How ya getten yourself mate?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:07 pm 
Gorilla

Took another week off training there, back at it tonight, decided not to use pre-exhaustion and just go with the compounds, as they deliver a much greater metabolic stock, i'll just be careful..

Tonight's workout was...
1. Seated Leg Press stack x 13 reps to failure
2. Seated Leg Curl 75kgs x 11 reps to failure
3. Underhand Chins BW + 20kgs assistance x 8 reps to failure
4. Seated Chest Press 120kgs x 7 reps to failure
5. Hammer Row 130kgs x 10 reps to failure

* Used the rush factor, only enough rest to move from one machine to the next (felt like i was gonna boke a couple of times lol)
* Each movement was performed with super strict form, 2-3 second positive, 2 second hold in the contracted position (on exercises 2 and 3), and then 3-4 second negatives.
* Just went to failure on each movement, no forced reps, negatives etc, didn't feel like i needed any additional set extenders.
* Total workout time was around 10 or 11 minutes (well, the gym was a little busy, or it would have been 8 or 9 minutes)

Next workout will be next Monday or Tuesday

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:55 am 
Elephant

good reps for the weights your hefting around there mate! hope all is good with you, i listen to radio nova from dublin most days and it was starting to snow there yesterday hope its not too bad with you!

ps got some of that hemp oil you suggested, good stuff :)

mike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:50 pm 
Gorilla

Hey buddy,

Weather here is wild, just snowed a wee bit thankfully, but am sitting here by the fire with a big ass mugga tea, oh yeah:)

whats it like in Wales mate? Hope your not out working in that:)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:43 am 
Rabbit

Now this I look forward to! Do you think j reps are not as effective for someone with regular length limbs? My frame is about average.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:36 pm 
Gorilla

Hey Mate,

The same applies to J-Reps, as with them your still using a full range of motion, but your just preforming them in zones/stages. I've personally dropped them from my training (time being) after mulling them over and weighing up the pro's and con's. There's just some facts i cant overlook, the first being that muscle fibers are recruited solely by how much resistance they are forced to contract against, the problem with J-Reps is they force you to use considerable less resistance than your capable of fully contracting against.
The second reason is because i prefer to avoid the weakest range of motion were the potential for injury is greater. Now, this is not to say this technique is without merit, it is, but just not in the why i thought. They can be salted in to a HIT routine as a "low stress" high intensity technique to your program to help manage stress long term.

Hope this helps
Rob

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:34 pm 
Gorilla

Tonight's workout...

Seated Leg Press
Underhand Chin
Chest Press
Hip Belt Calf Raise
Weighted Back Extension

All for one set to failure....

Don't know how long more i'll be able to post on the forum, i've been doing a lot of thinking, and i'm complicating on going back to consuming animal products, i know this may not go down will with some, however as i mentioned before, i became a vegan for health reasons (not political). After a recent health check, i'm at a point were i (and my doctor) believe my health would benefit from the consumption of some animal products.

Last edited by HIT Rob on Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:38 pm 
Batman

HIT Rob wrote:
Tonight's workout...

Seated Leg Press
Underhand Chin
Chest Press
Hip Belt Calf Raise
Weighted Back Extension

All for one set to failure....

Don't know how long more i'll be able to post on the forum, i've been doing a lot of thinking, and i'm complicating on going back to consuming animal products, i know this may not go down will with some, however as i mentioned before, i became a vegan for health reasons (not political). However after a recent health check, i'm at a point were i (and my doctor) believe my health would benefit from the consumption of animal products. Its something i'll have to think long and hard about.

Don't you dare stop posting on here mate! ;) you're too valuable to this little community, eating animal products wouldn't get you banished or anything haha you're part of the furniture bud! Some people on here aren't entirely vegan or even vegetarian so don't sweat it man, I certainly wouldn't think any different of you :) to each his own

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
There's only one thing I'm riding at 6am, and it's not a bike!

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29098
http://www.facebook.com/ross.d.cosgrove

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next