0. Jumping Jacks - 60 seconds

0. Pushups - 60 seconds

1. BB Bench - 2 x 12 @ 155lbs

2. Pushups - 2 x 12

3. Shoulder Raise - 2 x 12 @ 45lbs

4. Hammer Curls - 2 x 12 @ 60lbs

5. Incline DB Bench - 2 x 10 @ 80lbs

6. Diamond Pushup - 2 x 12

7. Military Press - 2 x 12 @ 50lbs (weak!)

8. Shoulder Pushups - 2 x 12

9. Concentration Curls - 2 x 8 @ 30lbs*

10. Dips - 2 x 30 seconds

11. Lat Pulldown - 2 x 10 @ 135lbs

12. Single Arm Tricep Extension (on rope attach.) - 2 x 10* @ 30lbs

13. Rope Attachment Curls - 2 x 10 @ 50lbs

14. Rope Attachment Tricep Extension - 2 x 10 @ 50lbs

15. Single Arm Row - 1 x 12* @ 35lbs

And then we did some stretching.... Looking back, that seems like an awful lot of stuff for just one 45 minute session. I wrote the dude an email and said that I would appreciate incorporating some more weight based training into our HIIT routines. Plus, I mentioned that I thought it would be cool to focus more on individual muscle groups per session (i.e. upper body on Tuesday, lower body on Thursday), and that I could handle those which we don't hit on my own - along with a full body lift on Saturdays. He listened, but maybe took it too far one way. I left tonight with arms like spaghetti, but not a whole lot of sweating. So, work in progress, I suppose. Anyway, I came home and finished off the chili I made on Saturday night. Man, I love chili. And this batch, I made predominantly with tomatillos, and about a half cup of a nice and piny IPA. Betcha I can't lift my arms tomorrow!

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thursday, January 30, 2014:

MONSTER LEG DAY

(this isn't exact, but just what I can remember)

1. Sled Leg Press - 3 x 12 @ 305

2. Front Squats - 2 x 12 @ 70lbs

3. Triple Lunges - 2 x 30 seconds @ 70lbs

4. Bulgarian Split Squats x 10* @ 70lbs

5. Long Jump to Pushup to Burpee x 24

6. Sled Push 2 x 100' @ 90lbs

7. Single Leg Stepup x 10* @ 70lbs

8. Kettlebell Swings 2 x 30 seconds @ 35lbs

9. Romanian Deadlift x 30 seconds @ 70lbs

10. Pushup to KB Renegade Row x 60 seconds @ 25lbs*

11. Walking Lunges x 60 seconds @ 70lbs

12. Body Weight Squats x 60 seconds

13. Jumping Jacks x 60 seconds

14. Squat Jumps x 60 seconds

15. Plank x 60 seconds

16. KB Squat/Burpee/Pushup/Curl/Press x 60 seconds @ 50lbs

And then we did some stretching with those giant rubber band things.

Holy fuck I could barely walk up the steps to our condo when I got home. Plus, I was freaking starving immediately after this session, and the dude wanted to check the schedule for next week. I was thinking "hey, bro, I'm about to pass out from low blood sugar - can we do this another time?" I know I'll be crazy sore tomorrow, and probably into Saturday as well. Despite not being able to remember everything we did all that well, I'd say that this session was pretty killer. I'll have to give him some compliments next time I train. Came home and ate an apple, immediately left to get my wife some medicine, then returned home to a giant bowl of beans and bulgur. Fuckin love my beans boy WHEW!

Thursday, January 30, 2014:

MONSTER LEG DAY

(this isn't exact, but just what I can remember)

1. Sled Leg Press - 3 x 12 @ 305

2. Front Squats - 2 x 12 @ 70lbs

3. Triple Lunges - 2 x 30 seconds @ 70lbs

4. Bulgarian Split Squats x 10* @ 70lbs

5. Long Jump to Pushup to Burpee x 24

6. Sled Push 2 x 100' @ 90lbs

7. Single Leg Stepup x 10* @ 70lbs

8. Kettlebell Swings 2 x 30 seconds @ 35lbs

9. Romanian Deadlift x 30 seconds @ 70lbs

10. Pushup to KB Renegade Row x 60 seconds @ 25lbs*

11. Walking Lunges x 60 seconds @ 70lbs

12. Body Weight Squats x 60 seconds

13. Jumping Jacks x 60 seconds

14. Squat Jumps x 60 seconds

15. Plank x 60 seconds

16. KB Squat/Burpee/Pushup/Curl/Press x 60 seconds @ 50lbs

And then we did some stretching with those giant rubber band things.

Holy fuck I could barely walk up the steps to our condo when I got home. Plus, I was freaking starving immediately after this session, and the dude wanted to check the schedule for next week. I was thinking "hey, bro, I'm about to pass out from low blood sugar - can we do this another time?" I know I'll be crazy sore tomorrow, and probably into Saturday as well. Despite not being able to remember everything we did all that well, I'd say that this session was pretty killer. I'll have to give him some compliments next time I train. Came home and ate an apple, immediately left to get my wife some medicine, then returned home to a giant bowl of beans and bulgur. Fuckin love my beans boy WHEW!

jesus..........bet you have major DOMS after that lot

Saturday, February 1, 2014:

Day of Rest

Woke up with some pretty gnarly chest congestion; honestly, I've been fighting this all week. Felt just fuckin run over after this week. Still no resolution on the housing end, which has tried every ounce of my patience. Possibly for the rest of my life. Tried to go to dinner with my wife last night, and ended up with a flat tire on the way there (one of my new tires, actually, the same one as last time, taking the same route, and it was snowing). So, I had to pull over and change the fucker. Thankfully I had some of those plugs in my trunk, so I was able to mend it pretty easily, and get it back on. Getting the tire off was another story, as the shop had just put a new one on a week ago. They used the pneumatic gun to set the bolts in, so it was a bitch getting them to turn over. Does that count as a deadlift?

Anyhow, felt really cranky this morning. Also, I woke up with nightmares re: the house, around 3am, and couldn't fall back asleep until around 5am. Slept til 9am, which is far later than usual. So, pretty sure this is all a good fucking sign to take the day off - even though I hate taking the day off on Saturday. I did manage to clear some of the new snow that fell overnight, so I guess I got a little bit of back/core work in. I'll hit the gym tomorrow morning, unless I give in and have a couple beers tonight. Maybe I'll do both. Making some badass pasta primavera tonight with pesto. I even bought a baguette of bread, which I never ever eat. I mean, I bet I haven't had bread in nearly a year. I'll post up some pics.

Made a pretty decent pesto prima vera tonight. Very rarely have pasta, and bread, and here's a beer from this amazing brewery in Wisconsin, New Glarus Brewing; can you tell I'm a fan? This is their Moon Man IPA. The piney hops really went well with the pesto. Did I mention how awesomely delicious the bread was? And the beer?

MoonMan.jpeg.730dbd91bc6ba902cef7b0f33bad3b83.jpeg

PestoPrima.jpeg.6da94fb198dbf84c9ca69644f423777d.jpeg

Sunday, February 2, 2014:

Superbowl Session

1. 3 Way Pushups - 2 x 30 (10 each; offset "grip" R/L, then center pushups)

2. Delt Raise - 2 x 12 @ 50lbs

3. Hammer Curl - 2 x 12 @ 50lbs

4. Military Press - 2 x 12 @ 70lbs

5. Seated Bent Over Row - 2 x 12 @ 70lbs

6. Incline DB Fly - 2 x 12 @ 70lbs

7. 3 Way Pullup - 2 x 15 (neutral, wide, supinated grips; 5 each)

8. Decline Diamond Pushups - 2 x 20

9. Close Grip Curls - 2 x 12 @ 50lbs

Was planning on doing three sets of each, but felt like dogshit after the second. Slept horribly again, with a 2 hour interruption from 3am - 5am. More stress dreams. Felt horrible after this session too, just absolutely irritable to the point of sheer anger. Also, our puppy has been having pre-ictal episodes kind of all morning, which isn't surprising given the weather; she's epileptic, and pre-ictal is the phase before the actual convulsion. Managed to get no packing done today, but did manage to find myself in the middle of a Walking Dead marathon. Haven't watched the show before, but it is interesting; and exceedingly violent. Knew I shouldn't have trained today, but didn't want to be lazy. Made something new for lunch: vegetable soup, and mashed potatoes. Sounds pretty simple, except for that I used our immersion blender to really break down the soup, almost into a bisque. Then I ladled it onto the potatoes, sort of like gravy. Man, it was delicious. Not much to look at, but here's a pic:

SoupGravy.jpeg.726d1ee1521764bef173d4ce35fc90c5.jpeg

Tuesday, February 4, 2014:

Trainer Day

Got carried away last night, and forgot to update the log. Trained with my guy last night and did the following mix of upper/lower body stuff: incline bench (2x10 @ 115), pushups, front raise, curls, tricep extension, dips, squat jumps, lunge jumps, jump rope, sled push, rows, good mornings, weighted lunges, pullovers, fly's, KB swings, burpess, renegade rows, kb squat/curl/press . . . that's pretty much all I can remember. Sorry these are so disjointed, but that just goes with his style of training I guess. In other news, we get to close on our house tomorrow! Very relieved this process is over. Look for more positive posting from me in the future. Now if I could just put an end to this winter...

No formal training today, but there is a shit-ton of snow to be shoveled.

Thursday, February 6, 2014:

Leg Day

1. Front Squats - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs

2. Squat Jumps - 3 x 15

3. Angled Lunge - 3 x 12* @ 70lbs

4. Lunge Jumps - 3 x 15

5. Bulgarian Split Squat - 3 x 12 @ 50lbs

6. Single Leg Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 35lbs

Great news! We closed on our house today! How did I celebrate? By coming directly home, and training legs haha! Felt like I had been lazy this week, so I got a quick bit of training in - nothing too dramatic, and only spent about 25 minutes doing this. Tried to make it quick, but intense. Anyway, I'm so relieved that the house thing is finished. Now we just have to move, in the dead of winter, and when it is guaranteed to snow on Saturday (moving is Monday). More snow training tomorrow, in anticipation for the move. Then I'll hit the gym Saturday morning. Dinner was beans, on a grain, with a vegetable. Feeling good!

Here's a pic of my hamstrings, in addition to those above... I don't think they are much, but he (she?) asked.

Hams.jpeg.312f4364d7c6fd1f5cfdf9bef87be382.jpeg

Put your legs away you tart hahaha

Awesome news with the house brother! And I like that you did some lunge jumps

Hahaha! Cheeky! Love me some lunge jumps - they are brutal! Thanks for the congrats man, it was quite a process; and one I don't hope to repeat anytime soon. Come for a visit!

SHOW YOUR LEGS

Well since you asked like I'm a stripper...

I've only had those gnarly veins for a couple months now. Not sure how I feel about them...

great quadriceps you have!

about the veins as far as i know it depends a lot from the genetic, and from the lack of fat. so i guess you are lucky. plus.. ladies like it uh uh!

great quadriceps you have!

about the veins as far as i know it depends a lot from the genetic, and from the lack of fat. so i guess you are lucky. plus.. ladies like it uh uh!

Thanks man, I've been working legs pretty hard lately. Must be genetic, since my dad runs marathons. Though, I'll take low body fat as well!

Saturday, February 8, 2014:

Saturday Pump Day

1. DB Bench - 3 x 10 @ 140lbs

2. Single Arm Row - 3 x 12 @ 65lbs

3. DB Pullover - 3 x 12 @ 65lbs

4. Sumo Piledriver Squat - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs

5. Box Jumps - 3 x 12 @ 24"

6. Wide Leg Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 90lbs

7. Assisted Three Way Pullup - 3 x 12 @ 15lbs assist

8. Decline Bench - 3 x 12 @ 135lbs

9. Farmer Carry - 3 x 200' @ 90lbs

Ahhhh so good to get into the gym for a big lift day. Has been a couple weeks since I've been able to do this, and it was thoroughly enjoyed. Wanted to hit the BB squats, but there was this dude doing 5 minute squats at the time; as in, one set, wait five minutes, do another, for six rounds. So anyway, I had to adapt. Came home and had a lunch of bulgur, with a can of beans on top. Left rotator cuff was bothering me today. Pretty sure it is from all of the shoulder press/raises I've been doing with the trainer. Need to give that shit a rest. Probably won't get back to training until Tuesday, what with the move coming on Monday. Hope you all have a good weekend! Celebratory beers, and a cheat meal tonight. I'll post a pic!

Hell yeah! Il come visit one day man

Waiting for the squat rack used to be the bane of my life dude.. Great training as always, you train legs a hell of a lot do you find plyometric stuff to be pretty effective? I never really use them, enjoy the beers and cheat meal bud! I'm trying to cut a bit of body fat so I,m super jealous of you right now..

Thanks man. Yeah the plyo stuff to me is essential. It really builds power, so I like to combine it immediately after a strength exercise. I do think it has helped my progress as I've noticed I'm really starting to lean out. The thing that's worked for me in cutting is just strict obedience to diet, of course. It really helps me stay on track to record what I'm eating, and weigh out my foods. If you want I'll send you my calorie counter spreadsheet. Just let me know your email. I'm jealous of you man and your beach access. It's been snowing here every other day for weeks now, and I'm starting to go mad.

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Full Body Day

Haven't posted all week, nor have I formally trained as we moved on Monday. I have been working my ass off though, moving boxes of books, and furniture about the new house. Also, we are currently without internet at the house, and today was my first day back at work. I'm typing this on my phone btw. Anyhow, I'm tired as fuck, and I think training today was a bad idea. Weight is down to 154, which means I'm not eating enough. Also been stressed as hell. Anyhow, here goes:

1. Renegade Pushups (pushup to rows) 2 x 15 @ 50lbs for the rows

2. Incline Diamond Pushups x 20

3. FlipFlop incline bench to seated row) 2 x 15 @ 70lbs

4. DB Bench x 20 @ 70lbs

5. Seated Row x 20 @ 70lbs

6. Bi' & Tri's (curls to tricep extension) 2 x 12 @ 50 lbs

7. Decline Crunch 2 x 20

8. Bicycle Abs 2 x 50

9. Reverse Crunch 2x20

10. Sumo Piledriver Squat 2x12 @ 70lbs

11. Side Lunge 2 x 12* @ 70lbs

12. Bulgarian Split Squat 2 x 12 @ 50lbs

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Saturday Collaboration

1. 100 Pushups (Pushups 4 Ways, 25 each): Spartan, Offset, Incline Diamond, Spiderman(12)/Dive-Bomber

2. Close Grip Curls - 4 x 12 @ 50lbs (these also work the chest pretty well)

3. Delt Raise - 3 x 12 @ 50lbs

4. Bent Over Row - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs

5. Decline Situp-Press - 3 x 20 @ 25lbs

6. Incline Reverse Crunch w/ PulseUp - 3 x 12

7. Resistance Band Curls - 2 x 30 @ 15lbs Resistance

7.5. Resistance Band Log Toss - 1 x 20 @ 15lbs Resistance (basically a squat to a curl using the resistance band)

8. Resistance Band Front Raise - 3 x 12 @ 15lbs Resistance

So this doesn't look like much for a Saturday for me, but I also did about 90 minutes of cleaning of our old place we just moved from, which included running up and down two flights of stairs approximately 15 times. Slept horribly last night, as our dog is sick with allergies (from the construction dust left around here), and also had a seizure very early this morning. I was up with her from about 1am - 3am today, then slept until 8:30 or so. Glad to have the old apartment behind us, and to finally have internet at home.

Had a very strange encounter our first night here, dealing with our next door neighbor. Long story short, he approached us in the alleyway the night we moved in, and asked me for $10. Trying to be a good neighbor, I gave him $5, because that was all the cash we had on us at the time. Cut to about 20 minute later, our doorbell rings, and its our neighbor. I open the door, and he asks me if I "have an ATM card..." I was pretty sure he was going to try to rob us, and thankfully I had my hand on a huge knife hidden behind my back. Hopefully he thought I was holding a gun (which I will be soon). Anyhow, it was pretty off-putting, to say the least. Alarm system coming on Tuesday. Gun(s) coming a little later (Illinois, rather, Chicago, has some ridiculous gun laws). I've been having a hard time getting over the incident, which has negatively affected my impression of our new house, and the way I react to stress. I'm sure I'll get over it in time, but I was really hoping this neighborhood would be different. I'm thinking that we need a more significant move here after a few years; another city, another state - maybe Denver, CO.

Anyhow, I'll likely be back on schedule next week. I certainly am ready for some normalcy!

Tuesday, February 18, 2014:

Trainer Day

1. Squat Jumps on Step x 60 seconds

2. ChinUps x 10

3. PullUps x 10

4. Front Squats x 30 seconds

5. Pushup/Renegade Row x 30 seconds @ 50lbs

6. Plyo Pushups on Step x 60 seconds

7. Kettlebell Half-Swing x 60 seconds @ 35lbs

8. Kettlebell Deadlift x 30 seconds @ 70lbs

9. Kettlebell Full-Swing x 60 seconds @ 25lbs

10. Bulgarian Split Squat with Bicep Curl 2 x 10 @ 50lbs

11. Cross Curl x 6* + Cross Front Raise x 6* @ 50lbs

12. 10 DB Chest Fly + 10 DB Bench + 10 DB Pullover @ 50lbs

13. Resistance Band Curl x 30 seconds @ 20lbs Resistance

14. Alternating Lunges + Bicep Curl - 2 x 60 seconds @ 30lbs

15. Burpees x 60 seconds

16. Stability Ball Knee Driver + Plank x 60 seconds

17. Single Arm Row x 12* @ 35lbs

18. Stretching Exercises

Could have sworn we did at least one more legit exercise, but I guess not... Again, not really my favorite style of training, as it is all over the place muscle group-wise. I feel like even though I'm training hard, I'm hardly training each muscle group to its full potential; possibly therefore losing some momentum for gains. Hadn't trained with this dude in a couple weeks, so it kind of kicked my ass a bit. However, it was good to get back into the routine of 4x/week training, after being forced to take a few days off for the move.

Thanks, fellas, for the support. Alarm system was installed today, including cameras, which made me feel a bit better. I need to spend some time with the system to get to know its ins-and-outs, so that we can really maximize the benefit. Haven't seen that loser neighbor in a few days, which is a good thing to me. I did however meet some really nice, stand-up neighbors adjacent to us on the other side, and across the alleyway. Finally, I have some sense of community in this giant town of anonymous-ness. Hopefully we can at least cultivate a small friendship with these people, even though they are out of our age range, and likely have little in common with us other than geographic locale. Still, at worst, I feel like they keep a keen eye on the neighborhood, and are usually home as they are retired. That means less likely to have a problem with anyone around the way. Even if there is a problem, I'm ready - Walking Dead style...

HAHAHA! Yeah get em Rick! (That's me, killing our next door neighbor, should he break into our house.)

Made some ridiculously delicious pizza over the weekend; actually made pizza twice by request from the Mrs. Here's a pic... I used zucchini as pepperoni haha.

Core day tomorrow!

Pizza!.jpeg.a09020f45adef228f588703b53cc6b87.jpeg

Ooooooooo! Whack that pizza on the recipes thread dude!

You like walking dead? Fuck yeah!!

In my opinion with your training like this you won't necessarily lose any momentum but you might not be gaining at the highest rate available. That's not really a bad thing though, personally I find it very interesting to do full body training and it keeps me guessing not a fan of kettle bells though hahaha

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a spiderman press up is where you assume a normal press up position and then bring one leg up by your side and do a press up in that position, then swap legs.

Well that's what I call a spiderman push up. I get people doing them at kickboxing in our warm ups sometimes walking across the floor!

Also, The Walking Dead is great. Been reading the comics for years and am enjoying how they're adapting them to the TV.

Your exercises are crazy and look pretty intense!! I never seem tohave the time or the energy to do something as lengthy and as full on as them!

Hope the whole move and neighbourhood thing is settling down now too.