No Payne, No Gain!

Payne

Decided to drop in a little journal of my own.

I'm pretty poor are weighing things (food, not weights that clearly have their weight on the side!) and keeping up with making notes on what I do, so it may turn a little sporadic when the sheen wears off it!

Usually my week pans out as below, doing this as a basic summary, and then posts after will have the day's stuff in.

Monday:

An hour or so of kickboxing. Each session is different. Usually a 15 minute warm-up and then line work, pad work, fitness, sparring.

Tuesday:

Depending on the plan for the week this is usually a rest day. It will sometimes be a gym day if I can't make it on a Wednesday. Once a month this will be a PT session.

Wedensday:

Gym (see below for rough routine)

Thursday:

Kickboxing

Friday:

Day Off

Saturday:

Gym

Sunday:

Day Off

Gym Routine:

Warmup:

5 minutes light jog. Usually 6mph on a slight incline.

Weights:

Heavy weeks (three or four weeks):

3 sets of 5 or 6 bench presses - 65kg

3 sets of 5 or 6 squats - 110kg

3 sets of 5 or 6 deadlifts - 110kg

3 minute rest between each set.

Light weeks (three or four weeks):

3 sets of 5 or 6 bench presses - 50kg

3 sets of 5 or 6 squats - 80kg

3 sets of 5 or 6 deadlifts - 80kg

30 second rest between each set

Small circuit:

Body weight pull ups with assistance band until failure. At present this is about five. (always include)

Body weight dips until failure. This is about five at the moment. (always include)

10x sandbag slams 12kg

20x 20kg kettlebell singlehand swings

5x inverted rows on the TRX, usually with my feet up on a box

10x clean and presses with a 15kg core bag

(These in red are changed around depending on what I fancy and what I can get on/use. Sometimes I'll do something totally different not listed.)

35kg dumbell, in each hand, milk maid walks around the weights area

50x sit ups

50x press ups

Round this circuit three times.

Cool down:

5 minute gentle walk on the treadmill.

Food wise, I'll post that up another time. Really don't think I'm consuming enough calories really.

Aim:

To lose the gut and boobs, tone up and improve general fitness.

Body stats @ 8th Jan

Height 186cm

Weight 109kg

Waist 114cm

Hip 106cm

Fat %age 20.4

We're going to take a second set of measurements at my next PT session in two weeks, so I'll post those up.

Edited by Payne

well no, 110 with deadlift is not pathetic at all, i think is really really good especially if you are beginner. it even depends how long have you been training, but as a start is perfect.

try even to make the 5x5 on progressions. like 5x80, 5x83, 5x85, 5x88, 5x90kg it gives the muscle the right help to make a good progression of training, for example making a rep of 70kg and then the other one of 80 could make it feel too heavy

I hadn't thought of it like that. I've been squatting and dead lifting for about five/six months I think. I also try and drop in 50x sit ups and press ups in my circuits every time too, forgot to add those.

I only really get chance to get down the gym twice a week and have just been reading about the 5x5 idea so not sure how they'd fit seeing as their plan is mainly based around three times a week. I've just started doing three/four week blocks of heavy and light weights since the start of this year on the recommendation of my PT.

I get the idea behind the progressive stuff so I may have a play around with it.

Thanks very much for the help.

19 Feb 2014

Warmup:

5 minutes light jog. Usually 6mph on a slight incline.

Weights:

3 sets of 5 squats - 110kg

1 set of 5 deadlifts - 110kg

2 sets of 5 deadlifts - 120kg

3 sets of 5 bench presses - 65kg

Small circuit:

Body weight pull ups with assistance band until failure. At present this is about five.

Body weight dips until failure. This is about five at the moment.

5x inverted rows on the TRX, usually with my feet up on a box

50x sit ups

50x press ups

35kg dumbell, in each hand, milk maid walks around the weights area twice

Cool down:

Could have sat in the gym a little longer to cool down before getting ready for work though! Thought I'd cooled down enough, but I hadn't and by the time I'd got back to the car I was rather damp!

Yeah that's my plan. My squats are deep enough, I'm keeping my back straight the whole time and my balance is fine, it's just sometimes it feels like my chest isn't as forward facing as it should be as I'm bending a little at the hips.

Ive been doing weightless squats working on my posture. if you do them toes against the wall legs shoulder with or slightly wider but not super wide, feet foward not to wide angled and hold your arms straight up above your head, that's some tough work even with no weights. I was told by a trainer that I should get them down perfectly like this and be able to do lots of them before I add weights.

Wall squats are awesome for getting your form perfect! They're a challenge even if you think you've got it down. Another option is maybe throw in front squats now and again? Because you're bearing the load ~6-8" more forward, your back basically HAS to stay straight or you'll dump the bar, so it's an excellent accessory for getting that form 100%. Maybe take a vid of your squat sessions to keep a better eye on your form too?

Log looks great though! Keep it up!

26 Feb 2014

Warmup:

5 minutes light jog. 6mph on a slight incline.

Weights:

3 sets of 5 squats - 100kg

3 sets of 5 deadlifts - 120kg

Small circuit:

5x Body weight pull ups with assistance band.

6x Body weight dips.

5x inverted rows on the TRX, feet on box.

50x sit ups

20x normal press ups

10x wide hand press ups

10x diamond hand press ups

35kg dumbell, in each hand, milk maid walks around the weights area twice

Cool down:

We do the wall squats at kickboxing from time to time. I should really start them on a regular basis as I can do them at home most days. Will give front squats a try too. I'm done for my heavy block for a few weeks so onto lighter weights and more reps from next week (in college all weekend so fitting the gym in will be tough this weekend). And come to think of it, I've got a PT session on Tuesday so probably wont get to lift again until the end of next week.

Dropped my weight down on my squats to 100kg and managed to keep my chest up and out a lot better so maybe I went up to 110kg too soon. Will try some more technique based exercises too get that better.

Cheers for the tips!

Had a PT session last night and we went through front squats and wall squats to help my technique. So I'll start doing them I think.

Lookign at swapping around my lifting too. Looking at doing something like:

1:

Heavy deadlift

Light but fast front squat

2:

Light but fast deadlift

Heavy back squat.

We'll see how I get on with that. Was weird squating and only being a few inches from a wall! He also showed me the weightlifters hook for my grip. Not looking forward to the squashed thumb feeling!

The rest of the session was kettle bell or some club work with some animal movements in just to keep moving. Didn't manage to get my measurements done, but I'm popping in Friday evening to get those sorted.

Not sure when I'm going to get back in the gym as I'm getting my thigh and chest tattooed on Saturday so won't realistically be able to do much until the back end of next week. Might try and get in this Friday morning though as one last blow out before not being able to do anything.

I have the same problem with back squats, my chest falls forward when I reach a certain weight. My coaches have said that I need to gain strength in my core and lower back to help this, so things like plate twists, glute-ham-raises, toes-to-bar, etc. Also, yes front squat, as you have to keep your chest up then as has been mentioned.

Yeah Dan was saying last night that is partly down to that and partly incorrect technique. He suggested just opening my knees out a little more just to keep my feet flat, and the pushing up through my feet keeping everything locked in place. He said what I'm currently doing is keeping my back nice and striaght but bending at the hips as I push up so the bar isn't really moving!

Makes much more sense after he showed me where I was going wrong!

Today felt a bit of a bust overall.

Warmup:

Weights:

3 sets of 10 front squats - 50kg

3 sets of 5 deadlifts - 120kg (tried the weightlifters hook grip on this and just couldn't get it. Might be worth trying it on lighter days to get used to it perhaps?)

3 minute rest between each set for the deadlifts and bench presses. 1 minute between the front squats

Small circuit:

6x Body weight dips.

20x 24kg kettlebell swings

20x 20kg kettlebell cleans (10x on each hand)

50x sit ups

20x normal press ups

10x wide hand press ups

10x diamond hand press ups

37.5kg dumbell, in each hand, milk maid walks around the weights area twice

Cool down:

My back is aching now and my hands are so effing sore!!

It was the first time I'd tried front squats so didn't want to overload it, plus I was told by my PT to go light on them when doing heavy deadlifts. Got a couple of bruises on my shoulders from the bar now and my back is still sore. Although Ive noticed its more to do with my right leg. I'm sure it'll be alright when I'm not sat at my work desk!

Thanks dude. Really appreciate that and will do. I've got a routine that I enjoy (even if I was a little effed off with it today because of my grip on my deadlifts) so have no problem going down the gym to do it.

Will update again later after I;ve seen my PT again as we're taking all my measurements so should give me an indication how things have changed since the start of the year.

Update from Friday evening:

I've lost:

7cm off my waist

1cm off my hips

4kgs of fat

1kg of lean muscle

My body fat %age has stayed the same as at the start of the year but talking it through with Dan, I need to get more protein in my diet, so that's my mission for this week, get myself some protein!! He said with the amount and type of training that I'm doing, I'm probably fueling my body with my oats, but I'm not repairing it properly with the lack of protein. If I can get that protein up he expects to see my lean muscle increase easily. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

i always say to people to buy some quinoa and legumes.. and eat them together. quinoa is not really caloric and heavy but at the sametime it has essential aminoacids you need with the proteins of legumes especially lentils.

btw congratulations for losing 4kgs of fat

I've tried quinoa before and found it really bland and soggy. Probably more to do with how I cooked and prepared it! Maybe I should have a look into it again!

And cheers! A little disapointed with the drop in lean mass, but should be sorted fairly easily.

• 2 weeks later...

Warmup:

Weights:

3 sets of 5 squats - 110kg

3 sets of 10 deadlifts - 90kg (still couldn't get the hook grip working!!)

3 minute rest between each set for the squats. 30 seconds between the deadlifts

Small circuit:

6x Body weight dips.

6x Chest to bar pull ups

10x squats with 9kg ball

15x dragon press ups

50x sit ups

15x dragon press ups

50x sit ups

Cool down:

5 minute gentle walk on the treadmill and some stretches.

First time back in the gym in nearly two weeks after having my thigh and chest tattooed and doing something unpleasant to my back last time I was in the gym. My back's still a little odd, but just need to get back on with stuff.

Noticed my squats were a lot better today. Only seemed to lose the correct technique on the last couple of reps on the last set, pleased with that.