How to react with a person really against vegans ?

Maxwellquick

Hey everyone !

So even I am in vet school, most of my friends are not vegans (crazy no ? I am the only one in my class ! You wanna save animals but eat them in the same time ? WTF ?) but they understand my choices and accept it, and even cook vegan for me when they have to. But I have this friend, he is in medecine school and he is really against vegans .. It's crazy how even at med school they learn all those wrong facts .. He even put an article on Facebook about how bad vegetarism is, I didn't have the strenght to read until the end or answer ! I know I probably should say nothing because people who doesn't try to understand are just dumb for me, I don't say everyone has to be vegan but everyone can respect each others ... But how you react with those kind of people usually ?

Thanks in advance =)

Punch them in the throat.

I jest, I know what you mean though, I studied an extended diploma in animal management and there were only 2 vegetarians In the entire class (including me) with me as the only vegan.

People would often talk shit about it, but I was always bigger than they were, ate healthier and just had an all round positive attitude about the whole thing.

I lost count of the times that I had to stick up for it, it even got heated a couple of times because some times I just can't hold my tongue and have a bit of a temper.

My advice would be to show that you aren't willing to put up with getting stick for your lifestyle choices, try and change the subject immediately if it comes up though, that always helps.

You are probably right, I should try to not care for that and let them talk but I usually struggle to keep calm in that situation, because for me it's so obvious that being vegan is right, I just don't understand some people doesn't see that ... I mean you can always find scientific articles in favor of vegans or against them, it's like that for everything but you just have to look a little closer to see documentaries and see the truth !

Anyway I was thinking of just putting the link of Earthlings in comment, should I ?

"Oh you must miss bacon sandwiches or a nice big fat juicy steak?!" If I had a penny for everytime I've heard that. I don't. I've not eaten meet now for half my life. I don't remember what it was like. I can't miss what I don't remember!

"Oh but it's so unhealthy!" Do I look unhealthy to you?

"But you fight!" Sorry I forgot the rule that if you fight, you eat meat exclusively.

Usually they get bored after a while. It doesn't really bother me too much. Just reminds me how ignorant a lot of people can be.

I don't like that crap. A lot of times, people just don't want to believe how big I am getting without animal products, but I rarely catch grief from anyone. One time my roommate kept pushing a plate with steak in my face, so I spat on it. He hasn't done that again lol. I think being bold enough to cross other people's boundaries when they have crossed yours is the best way to get this type of bullying to stop.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't like that crap. A lot of times, people just don't want to believe how big I am getting without animal products, but I rarely catch grief from anyone. One time my roommate kept pushing a plate with steak in my face, so I spat on it. He hasn't done that again lol. I think being bold enough to cross other people's boundaries when they have crossed yours is the best way to get this type of bullying to stop.

Yesss!!! Awesome...

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
I should try to not care for that and let them talk[/quote

Never quit caring; just don't let your emotions sink you to their level. Keep your comments logical and scientific.

Anyway I was thinking of just putting the link of Earthlings in comment, should I ?

I say no. That movie is about animal abuse. I looks as tho we have no science. Use the facts that veganism is the only healthy way to eat. Link the movie "Forks ever knives".

We can even do BETTER than science. We have REALITY on our side - living proof. Even the Fruitarians kick the average meat-eaters butt. There's the video "80/10/10 proof" and the picture thread "80/10/10 Gladiators"

....and for logical talk, there's me:

Meat or vegetarian: What does the body want?

Why I'm not an ex-vegan-

• 2 weeks later...
Hey everyone !

So even I am in vet school, most of my friends are not vegans (crazy no ? I am the only one in my class ! You wanna save animals but eat them in the same time ? WTF ?) but they understand my choices and accept it, and even cook vegan for me when they have to. But I have this friend, he is in medecine school and he is really against vegans .. It's crazy how even at med school they learn all those wrong facts .. He even put an article on Facebook about how bad vegetarism is, I didn't have the strenght to read until the end or answer ! I know I probably should say nothing because people who doesn't try to understand are just dumb for me, I don't say everyone has to be vegan but everyone can respect each others ... But how you react with those kind of people usually ?

Thanks in advance =)

How long have you been vegan?

• 3 months later...

Just say something like: 'Look, matey, I don't want to inflict terror, torture and death on sentient beings. I am healthy, happy and I try to show respect to all.'

You could add: 'Unless they are scum* who care more for their bellies and taste buds than they do for another animal who has as much right to life as they have.'

* Or words such as 'heartless', 'uncaring', 'selfish', 'crue'l, 'twisted', 'naughty' - take your pick.