Rossco's journal

How are those pull up bars? I could really do with one for strength building in that area, but I've always thought there would be a high chance of ripping the door frame off.

Not to butt in, but I think they are awesome! Never had a problem with ripping the door frame, even when I weighed over 200lbs. The only damage was a little bit of denting on the trim from pressure.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are those pull up bars? I could really do with one for strength building in that area, but I've always thought there would be a high chance of ripping the door frame off.

Hey andi! I was a little concerned about damaging my door frame.. Especially where my girlfriend is super house proud and would freak out if I damaged something in the house ahha, but mine works great! I only use it on the bathroom doorway because it has a smaller shelf to the top of the door frame and therefore less leverage for it to break, it does make a slight creaking noise sometimes which is worrying.. But it seems fine so far!

Here's the one I got! It was on offer at the time but 25 quid is pretty spot on for the quality of it, better than those crappy York fitness ones and other lesser brands http://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerbar-assembly-Folds-Design-protectors/dp/B00376I6G4/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1392461273&sr=8-8&keywords=pull+up+bar+doorway

Did something really stupid and decided to train today despite the fact that I'm still super Ill... Not training was slowly killing me so I thought I had to get a small session in, big mistake, it made me feel worse!

Anyway, this is what I did, basically pointless

Pull ups, wide grip

X 5 reps

Chin ups, close grip

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

Dumbbell bench press

40Kg x 12 reps

40Kg x 12 reps

Chin ups

X 4 reps

Superset, bi concentration curls

12.5Kg x 9 reps each arm

12.5Kg x 6 reps each arm

Dips

X 10 reps

X 10 reps

At this point I had to just go and lay down.. Haven't really moved that much since.. Got friends coming over tonight for video game session so that will cheer me up..

Still not 100% but I got my first proper calisthenics work I'm today which was pretty cool! I found it super hard and didn't get it perfect but il get there!

I pretty much did what's on the attached picture, but with a few differences, haven't got the equipment for Australian pull ups! So I switched them for crunches, also changed pull ups to towards the end And I physically couldn't do hanging leg raises,

This workout was a basic for beginners and it was still tough, will eventually work up to hard!

Cycle 1:

30 seconds between exercises, 5 minutes between cycles

Chin ups x 7 reps

Dips x 6 reps

Push ups x 15 reps

Hanging knee raises x 5 reps

Squat jumps x 9 reps

Pull ups x 5 reps

Crunches x 30 reps

Cycle 2:

Chin ups x 7 reps

Dips x 6 reps

Push ups x 15 reps

Squat jumps x 9 reps

Pull ups x 4 reps

Crunches x 25 reps

Cycle 3:

Chin ups x 7 reps

Dips x 6 reps

Push ups x 15 reps

Squat jumps x 9 reps

Pull ups x 2 and a half reps

Crunches x 25 reps

Cycle 4:

Chin ups x 5 reps

Dips x 6 reps

Push ups x 15 reps

Squat jumps x 9 reps

Pull ups x 2 reps

Crunches x 25 reps

image.jpg.1819d7a661096ff225c26a9fbd2cbfe7.jpg

Nice stuff man, that website has a ton of workouts! Australian PullUps a/k/a Inverted Row - a great exercise for back and core. Looks like you're on the mend though, if you're working your way through this set. Maybe I'll give one of these a try tomorrow. That one with the human flag holds looks crazy!

Thanks dude! The only thing stopping me from doing medium or hard workouts is not being very strong at pull ups and chin ups once I'm feeling better il be doing these 5 times a week, there's this one, a full body, a leg workout, an ab workout and fat burner! So il be alternating between them depending on how I feel until I can handle a medium workout!

Haven't seen the flag one, sounds ridiculous though haha, I can't imagine being able to do them, my first goal is to be able to planche

I did the workout in the attached photo with a few changes, I did 20 crunches instead of 15, and switched out side planks for lying leg raises

4 cycles

3 mins rest between cycles

1 min rest between exercises

Cycle 1:

Hanging knee raises x 8 reps

Mountain climbers for 25 seconds

Plank for 25 seconds

Lying leg raises x 15 reps

Half burpees x 7 reps

Crunches x 20 reps

Cycle 2:

Plank for 25 seconds

Half burpees x 7 reps

Crunches x 20 reps

Cycle 3:

Plank for 25 seconds

Half burpees x 7 reps

Crunches x 20 reps

Cycle 4:

Plank for 25 seconds

Half burpees x 7 reps

Crunches x 20 reps

I've never done a workout exclusive to training abs so this was a real nice change!

I plan to change lying leg raises for Russian twists or something else that will target my obliques.

I've been changing the way I eat recently, keeping calories low throughout the day whilst I'm busy doing things and working out to burn off fat and then having more calories around and after dinner time

to (hopefully) anabolise and build muscle whilst I rest and sleep. Please correct me if I'm full of shit but I always figured that this would work haha, seems to be paying off and my sickness has almost completely gone so I'm going to train more frequently now, full body tomorrow! Bring it on!

image.thumb.jpg.d2aeb508cd80f3ac43afd7d59f5e11f9.jpg

Nice dude! You should also plan on being sore as fuck tomorrow haha! You can target your obliques with side raises, or side plank + oblique crunch. Anything requiring a transverse movement (side to side) will engage the obliques. Here's a couple vids:

- Put a weight in your hand, dammit!

- Side Plank w/ Rotation

- Side Plank Dips

Or one that I really love, but couldn't find a vid for, is the side plank toe touch. Basically, hold a side plank, with your top arm extended so that your elbow is at your hear, bring the top leg knee up, while simultaneously bringing your top elbow down to meet your knee. If that doesn't make sense, I can post a video for execution purposes. I love my core days man. Don't forget to add some lower back work in there, like the back crunch... Lie the top half of your body on the bench, with your knees on the floor (so, bent over) and drive your feet into the air, and toward the back of your head. Similar to back extensions, but I doubt you have a back extension thing at your house (and who would, honestly?).

Have a good night buddy!

I did the workout in the attached photo, switched hanging leg raises out for calf raises

It was too easy.. I was half tempted to add more cycles in but didn't have the available time, barely broke a sweat :/

3 cycles, 4 min rest between cycles, 1 min rest between exercises.

Cycle 1:

Chin ups x 3 reps

Wall sit for 30 seconds

Bench dips x 12

Squats x 8 reps

Push ups x 8 reps

Pull ups x 2 reps

Calf raises x 30 reps

Decline push-ups x 7 reps

Cycle 2:

Chin ups x 3 reps

Wall sit for 30 seconds

Bench dips x 12

Squats x 8 reps

Push ups x 8 reps

Pull ups x 2 reps

Calf raises x 30 reps

Cycle 3:

Chin ups x 3 reps

Wall sit for 30 seconds

Bench dips x 12

Squats x 8 reps

Push ups x 8 reps

Pull ups x 2 reps

Calf raises x 30 reps

image.thumb.jpg.914e98b08c6851f51dcda6ff88d9c025.jpg

Ross i leave this place for a few days cuz of internet problems and when i come back youve gone all body weighty trainy on me! only messing mate hows it going? sounds like a hard work! hope things are ok in the the isle of wight

Hahaha it's good fun dude! Plus it really suits my cutting will obvs return to deadlifts etc eventually but I love the challenge of doing these kind of workouts

All good here dude! How's things in wales? Been up to much?

Had to take an extra rest day from being so busy... Really hoping to try out another workout tomorrow after work though

I did the workout in the attached photo,

I switched Aussie pull-ups/ inverted rows for double crunches, and through out doing jumping jacks...

Managed 5 cycles, 2 mins between cycles and 30 second rest between exercises

Cycle 1:

Incline push ups x 15 reps

Max plank, 30 seconds..

Dips x 6 reps

Squats x 15 reps

Chin ups x 6 reps

Double crunches x 15 reps

Cycle 2:

Max plank, 30 seconds..

Dips x 6 reps

Squats x 15 reps

Chin ups x 6 reps

Cycle 3:

Max plank, 30 seconds..

Dips x 6 reps

Squats x 15 reps

Chin ups x 6 reps

Cycle 4:

Max plank, 20 seconds..

Dips x 6 reps

Squats x 15 reps

Chin ups x 5 reps

Cycle 5:

Max plank, 20 seconds..

Dips x 6 reps

Squats x 15 reps

Chin ups x 4 reps

Had to go outside to cool off hahaha!

image.jpg.0e1c96ee19cc453222df409b865ec64a.jpg

Ross i leave this place for a few days cuz of internet problems and when i come back youve gone all body weighty trainy on me! only messing mate hows it going? sounds like a hard work! hope things are ok in the the isle of wight

Hahaha it's good fun dude! Plus it really suits my cutting will obvs return to deadlifts etc eventually but I love the challenge of doing these kind of workouts

All good here dude! How's things in wales? Been up to much?

Had to take an extra rest day from being so busy... Really hoping to try out another workout tomorrow after work though

i bets its fun mate, looks pretty damn hard though! all good here too mate thanx, not been uoto much really eating and training nothing exciting to be honest! cant wait for the summer this winter is really getting on my tits now

Ahha ditto man I've got a week in tenerife booked for next month! Desperately cutting now to look good by the pool ahha I'm not that vain honest.

Was planning on getting an ab session in today but after a reaaaaallly hard day at work today I really don't feel up to it! Plus my throat and chest are so awful today..

Maybe tomorrow!

Ahha ditto man I've got a week in tenerife booked for next month! Desperately cutting now to look good by the pool ahha I'm not that vain honest.

Was planning on getting an ab session in today but after a reaaaaallly hard day at work today I really don't feel up to it! Plus my throat and chest are so awful today..

Maybe tomorrow!

haha the good ol holiday cut! think im going to stick to a lifelong bulk have a good week boss.

absolutely crushed today's training

Had a really long training day at work and was desperate to get home and workout!

I trained chest, (for some reason I can't save th photo of the workout)

4 cycles- 3 minute rest in between cycles- 30 second rest in between exercises.

Cycle 1:

Wide push ups x 10 reps

Close push ups x 10 reps

Decline push ups x 8 reps

Regular push ups x 10 reps

Dips x 5 reps

Left out push up hold, because my triceps were too sore, I still consider myself to be lower than beginner with calisthenics which is why I always make the workout slightly easier for myself haha

Cycle 2:

Wide push ups x 10 reps

Close push ups x 10 reps

Dips x 5 reps

Cycle 3:

Wide push ups x 10 reps

Close push ups x 10 reps

Dips x 5 reps

Cycle 4

Wide push ups x 10 reps

Close push ups x 10 reps

Got interrupted by the mrs talking to me about stuff for a couple minutes... So I thought I would just finish up with dips to failure, so

Dips x 20 reps! Absolute killer!

Nice work up there mate! Sorry I've been absentee on your progress. Not getting the alerts for some reason. Took another look at that page you've been going off of, and it looks pretty serious. Lots of volume, and many different exercises. Good find! I think I've seen those guys on youtube before. They are crazy ripped! Hope you and the Mrs. are well.

Decided. To take up the challenge of trying a medium workout on the madbarz website.. Eurghhhhh it was so hard..

Picture is attached. I only managed 3 out of the 5 cycles and had to skip the jump rope because... I don't have a jump rope...

Anyways

Cycle 1:

Star toe-touch sit ups x 15 reps each side

Knee hugs x 15 reps

Bike crunches x 50 reps

V sit ups x 10 reps

Crunches x 30 reps

Lying leg raises x 20

Cycle 2:

Knee hugs x 15 reps

Bike crunches x 50 reps

V sit ups x 10 reps

Crunches x 30 reps

Lying leg raises x 20

Cycle 3:

Knee hugs x 15 reps

Bike crunches x 50 reps

V sit ups x 10 reps

Crunches x 30 reps

Lying leg raises x 20

This is all I could manage... Ahhhh we'll il stick to the beginner workouts for now

image.jpg.ba3b04d66e96e6b3cf08640b217368fb.jpg

I did the workout in the attached photo! Trained first thing with nothing but a black coffee!

Couldn't do Aussie pull ups so left them out!

4 cycles- 3 minutes between cycles- 1 minute between exercises.

Cycle 1:

Pull ups x 3 reps

Negative chin ups x 4 reps

Wide grip pull ups x 3 reps

Regular chin ups x 4 reps

Cycle 2:

Pull ups x 3 reps

Wide grip pull ups x 3 reps

Cycle 3:

Pull ups x 3 reps

Wide grip pull ups x 2 and a half reps

Cycle 4:

Pull ups x 3 reps

Wide grip pull ups x 1 rep + 3 negatives

Regular chin ups x 2 reps + 4 negatives

The negatives were what really gave me a pump and made me feel like I had worked hard! I also tried a few reps of just keeping myself in a contracted position, my arms are so numb now!

Still I didn't feel like I had done enough so I tried out doing high decline push ups to work towards hand stand push ups.

image.jpg.53fcea799df2f3669e7ae571fe81ca32.jpg