ROUTINE

I have been doing the same routine for about 3 months now and have not seen much difference in my body I am looking to change some things. Since I am not a Pro by any means I am looking for some intell on how I can change it up to get better results.

Monday – Bi’s And Tri’s mainly isolation machines some free weights 4-5 sets 8-12 reps

Tuesday - Shoulders same thing 4-5 sets 8-12 reps

Wed – chest and back all machines work except for bench- 4-5 sets 8-12reps

Thru- Legs pretty standard

Fri- core work, some machine work, hanging leg lifts, weighted sit-ups

Sat – Some light cardio

Sunday off

Then I repeat. Any info would be helpful, Thanks

Hey there! The first thing that jumps out at me about your routine is the reliance on machines... which I would urge you to move away from, at least for the most part. Most people will see the most progress from focusing on compound lifts - mainly the big three (bench, squat, deadlift). Also, any accessory work that you can do with a barbell is going to largely be more effective than accessory work with machines. You may want to look into beginning strength training programs such as Stronglifts 5x5. Even if your end goal is more bodybuilding than powerlifting, getting a base level of strength from a beginning powerlifting program can be really effective to jump start bodybuilding.

Another thing to think about is that a lot of people who are just beginning strength training will be able to recover quicker (due to lifting lighter weights) and may be able to progress more quickly by using whole body workouts 3-4 days a week instead of trying to do a split routine (like what you've got right now). Split routines may be more effective for more advanced strength athletes because then those working days can be used somewhat as recovery days while you work other muscle groups. Starting to hit those big compound lifts will make working the whole body in one session a lot easier.

Any more information about body composition, diet, etc would help people give you advice possibly a little more tailored to your situation.

Thanks for the reply; I thought the machine use was heavy. I worked out at home before joining a gym; I guess having all the new machines has me like a kid in a candy store. I will read up a little more and try to tailor it more towards compound lifts again. I will Try and find a VBB Training log that is similar to what I am looking for. Anyone in Particular I should check out?

There are a tons of logs on here, and I think the overall preference is towards barbells and compound movements, so for that you can probably hit the log section and start anywhere. If you're interested in someone that could give you some good ideas for working in on machines, I believe HIT Rob does some machine work and he's got a really interesting log in general - so maybe that's a good place to start! Good luck!

i agree with BnB, i guess machines are not so effective except for a few like lat machine or leg press.

i would prefere squat, deadlift, bench press, dumbell or barbell curls/press/flies (for chest, shoulder, biceps, triceps), shrugs, calf raise, and some others.

remember to keep a look at the diet too.

i used to be a big advocate of free weights but i have found in the last couple of years that i can do just aswel if not better with machines. provided the machine suits your body type. i find you can really concentrate the force and muscle stimulation totherequired area, also much easier to avoid injuries too. but like i said the machine has to be a good one and suit the mechanics of your body, bench press is the only free weight exercise i do at the moment and im making fairly good progress not saying you shouldnt use free weights ever again but they can be very useful if used properly.

Essentially, free weights, machines and cables are all just tools of the trade, ALL have proven effective, and ALL have advantages and disadvantage's, but Unfortunately, there is still this notion that continues to linger around the bodybuilding subculture that free weights are superior...

When chating with free weight advocates, it isn't long before they bring up how the old time bodybuilders/strongmen trained with free weights, guys like Reg Park, Steve Reeves or John Grimick etc, but the fact is, when machines became available to these men, they used them! Also, lets not ignore the fact that most of the greatest bodybuilders in history used machines in their training with great effect, and in some cases...almost exclusively.

Mike Mentzer loved the Squat, Deadlift and Dip, he was also a pretty good Olympic lifter, but even he went on to state this...

"If you were to believe what the manufactures of free weights tell you, you would have the idea that mankind has benefited enormously in every aspect of his life from technology and mechanization.. accept for bodybuilding".

• 3 weeks later...

In addition to all those responses already received VeganProject27, I would also like to add without knowing your diet or body structure that, your schedule looks pretty messed up. You don't wanna be doing legs after back day. Keep a gap of a day atleast between them vice versa. Also, why are you pushing core exercises and cardio to one end of the week and going heavy on muscles on the other. Even it out. Space it out. For example if your taking a break on sunday don't do cardio on saturday, do a big muscle instead. Do cardio on a day between heavy muscles during the weekday and similarly space out core exercise day too.