The beginning!

CarlosPhyto

Hey all,

I've just signed up as I am getting back into strength training and was looking for some like minded people to hang out with.

I've been a mostly vegan for about 2 years. Originally I did it purely for health reasons and now environmental and ethical. You see my upbringing in a carnistic world helped to lead me astray and follow pseudo scientific non-sense such as low carb paleo style diets in an effort to loose weight. Of course long term this did not really work out at all. It did however work to get a bowel cancer diagnosis at the age of 26.

Anyway still having a bit of an existential crises but successfully in remission (aided by a plant based diet) I am looking to get back into strength training. I've only been cycling in the beautiful Brisbane weather and have let my strength fail quite spectacularly! It's time to get some tone, strength and low body fat going!

Look forward to contributing here. You never know, maybe I'll become some kind of vegan warrior like Frank Medrano

Sorry to hear about the cancer diagnosis. That is good news that you are in remission!

I have known quite a few vegan athletes over the years and the diet is kind of popular in the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu crowd (particularly amongst the guys who are actually born and raised in Brazil).

Later!

• 2 weeks later...
Hey all,

I've just signed up as I am getting back into strength training and was looking for some like minded people to hang out with.

I've been a mostly vegan for about 2 years. Originally I did it purely for health reasons and now environmental and ethical. You see my upbringing in a carnistic world helped to lead me astray and follow pseudo scientific non-sense such as low carb paleo style diets in an effort to loose weight. Of course long term this did not really work out at all. It did however work to get a bowel cancer diagnosis at the age of 26.

Anyway still having a bit of an existential crises but successfully in remission (aided by a plant based diet) I am looking to get back into strength training. I've only been cycling in the beautiful Brisbane weather and have let my strength fail quite spectacularly! It's time to get some tone, strength and low body fat going!

Look forward to contributing here. You never know, maybe I'll become some kind of vegan warrior like Frank Medrano

Carlos, you and I sound like we'd be good friends. I feel that spiritualism and vegan-ism go hand in hand. I have heard of miraculous feats of healing occurring when someone bring those two factors into one's life. Welcome, and the best of luck to you on your journey!