People are VERY offended when you tell them you are Vegan.

I never said you were a bad person because you ate meat, I never said meat is unhealthy. You just found out I was Vegan and you have become very offended by that.

Why?

I respect all Religions, Human Colors, Political Views and Diets.

I talk to a guy at the gym today and he had to protect his beliefs and gave me a speech on how we were born to kill and eat and it's been with us for generations, and he even recommended that I go Paleo.

I never said anything negative about him or that animal killing was wrong. He was telling me about a Greek restaurant in L.A. where they cut the meat off a hanging lamb corpse in the kitchen. I was not offended by it, I just told him I maintain a Vegan lifestyle so I probably wont be going. But maybe that was too much.

My uncle was also offended when he repeatedly asked me why I wasn't eating any turkey and ham at Thanksgiving. I just told him I do without meat now because it makes me feel better.

What happen to people just being cool and respectful to one another. Why is it always a war or survival to the death?

Please relax.

Lol. I've had some of the same problems, myself :P I have a coworker who hates the fact that I'm vegan and takes every opportunity to attack it. I'm still trying to wrap my head around why people are so offended by our lifestyle choices... I do think it has something to do with warding off guilty feelings as stated above, but I don't think they see it that way while they're making excuses/formulating their own scientific evidence . Just have to find humour in the craziness, I suppose.

I read in a book once

"These days you can't talk about Religion and Politics with anyone, now "food" is becoming the same"

Meat Religion. No Meat Religion. No Meat and Dairy Religion.

I was also listening to a Metal Disorder psychiatrist last night. He said something to the effect: To have pride in a disorder is neutral, but if that disorder is played as an advantage over someone else, it becomes a religion.

Organic Chicken breast might be a healthier source of protein then my Blocks of soy, but I'm still not eating animals. There is no such thing as a "Meat Deficiency". But most people eat meat because they like it, not because they think they need it?

Organic Chicken breast might be a healthier source of protein then my Blocks of soy, but I'm still not eating animals. There is no such thing as a "Meat Deficiency". But most people eat meat because they like it, not because they think they need it?

I wouldn't say any animal products are healthy for us. In researching diet and nutrition, more and more it seems to be that higher meat intake is associated with higher rates of disease. While diets containing more plant foods are less likely to cause disease, they also have the ability to ease unpleasant symptoms of some diseases while reversing other diseases altogether.

I think most people enjoy eating meat, and that's why they defend it. When the ethical/moral topics arise on the other hand(whether or not we brought them up ), "I like eating meat" doesn't seem to cut it. I think they just use "we need meat" as an obviously justified reason for eating it. Guess we're not good enough proof otherwise

I doubt people get offended. I feel a lot of any 'sub group' (Vegans, Veggies, Feminist, Homosexual, TV-less people, Dyslexic etc) tend to want other people to know about their differences and it's usually the people with the 'difference' that consistently bring these things up.

We'll only have a truly unbiased and friendly society when people (especially the people who practice different beliefs) stop caring about what everyone else does with their lives on focusses on themselves. Trying to make someone understand your difference is futile because to normal rational people no explanation is necessary. It's like people who march to promote gay 'awareness' - only the truly ignorant have a problem with it, so why waste your time trying to get the world's ignoramuses to understand you. They're idiots, leave them be! By wanting people to recognise your differences you're merely promoting yourself as different in my opinion.

Although, it is frustrating. I did the whole food, plant based diet, which just so happened to include not eating any animal products as part of it. People would offer me food and when i turned it down they demanded an explanation. When i explained the diet i was on, every single one labelled me a vegan. It took so long to explain that i'm not anything, and that i'm merely eating REAL food and avoiding anything that's processed. People really struggled to understand that but i guess it's just a symptom of the poor level of education and intelligence for the regular person.

Well I would say caring about others and what they do is precisely the reason I went vegan :P I do agree with you 100% about those who are closed off to the idea and aren't the least bit receptive. You've said what you could, no point wasting any more breath on someone with a death wish :P I don't focus on our differences when I speak to omnis, I focus on our similarities which there are often more of than not. I guess the way I see it is if the science says vegans live longer. If vegans are less likely to succumb to illness and therefore have a higher quality of life, aren't we kind of obligated to share this? Whether or not they decide to go vegan is entirely their choice, but they should at the very least be given the information.

• 1 month later...

I haven't had a ton of people say they were offended at me. Most look at me like I am an alien. But I have been a lacto ovo vegetarian my entire life (moving closer to vegan everyday).

Some assume I am an animal rights activist and they might get offended. I think that can be partly out of guilt or denial because they know how inhumane most of the conditions animals suffer to be put on the table. But I am not out there preaching about it unless someone asks me directly.

In fact most people are accommodating to me and some will not eat meat around me for fear of me being offended (which I am not in the least).

Sorry you have had these experiences.

Perhaps it is where you live. I live in Ohio and people think it is really odd.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently made the switch to a plant based lifestyle and most responses are " man, I couldn't do that " to " I need my animals " ( or something to that effect ). I believe that the best way to deal with people that react negatively is to live as an example of what is possible, and let the results speak for themselves. Our lives speak louder than anything that we could ever say.

Out lift them, out run them, out endure them; just beat them. Eventually, they'll ask how did you do that. Plant Power Baby! Come on in! Pools warm!

I recently made the switch to a plant based lifestyle and most responses are " man, I couldn't do that " to " I need my animals " ( or something to that effect ). I believe that the best way to deal with people that react negatively is to live as an example of what is possible, and let the results speak for themselves. Our lives speak louder than anything that we could ever say.

Out lift them, out run them, out endure them; just beat them. Eventually, they'll ask how did you do that. Plant Power Baby! Come on in! Pools warm!

+1000 for this!!!

Started too with 'plant-based' vs Vegan just to throw off the initial reactions described by other posters. Pushing myself to SHOW that not only is plant-based healthier for me, the planet and the animals, you can be BADASS too!

Seems some of the stereotypical expectations are of tofu eating, militant waifs.......

Yeah, the Estrogen thing is the ONLY defense they have at the moment. Personally, I think it's an urban legend.

I'm proving it WRONG by eating large amounts (24 ounces per day) of 100% Organic Tofu from Sprouted soy beans. Been doing this daily for 4 months and have only noticed a 20lb gain in muscle. Ain't nothing "estrogenic" about that, sorry.

My Man Boobs have went DOWN since.

Although, it is frustrating. I did the whole food, plant based diet, which just so happened to include not eating any animal products as part of it. People would offer me food and when i turned it down they demanded an explanation. When i explained the diet i was on, every single one labelled me a vegan. It took so long to explain that i'm not anything, and that i'm merely eating REAL food and avoiding anything that's processed. People really struggled to understand that but i guess it's just a symptom of the poor level of education and intelligence for the regular person.

Ya I really wish we didn't have to label everything. But these days we almost have to and restaurant servers should understand the difference. Being Vegan now for 2+ years has been interesting. Still, the majority thinks EVERYONE eats cheese and meat, this was very surprising to me. I can't count how many times CHEESE was placed on my food "just out of habit" and was sent back for correction. And how most people have NO CLUE what is in the food. It really tells you how health-conscious people really are out there and just stuff their face with whatever sounds good.

Anyway, sorry for the rant.

Yeah, the Estrogen thing is the ONLY defense they have at the moment. Personally, I think it's an urban legend.

I'm proving it WRONG by eating large amounts (24 ounces per day) of 100% Organic Tofu from Sprouted soy beans. Been doing this daily for 4 months and have only noticed a 20lb gain in muscle. Ain't nothing "estrogenic" about that, sorry.

My Man Boobs have went DOWN since.

haha! Yeah, plant estrogen while similar to body estrogen, is processed differently in the body...urban legend put out there by big Dairy no doubt!