How to get enough protein soy free

Hey everybody

I want to be vegan and lift weights but I don't want to load up on soy and I don't want to down a bunch of protein supplements both of which don't seem natural to me.

I would like to tackle the vegan diet without these but i feel like my protein intake will be super low..

Any suggestions? Is it possible to build muscle with 70gs per day if I'm weighing 160 lbs?

A lot of people ignore protein intake and still make great gains mate, personally I eat a fair amount of soy, nuts, a hell of a lot of peanut butter ahha and grains etc. I don't count calories or protein intake and have made big strength and size gains, just see what works best for you

well 160lbs is like 72 kg so you should take 1.5 or 2gr of protein for bodyweight. that means you should at least take 140gr of protein. which you can reach simply in 5 meals. if you dont want to take supplements which they help you to reach your protein amount easier, you should start to eat a lot more.

from breakfast with maybe a combination of oatmeal, nuts and seeds. 100 gr of oatflakes have at least 13 gr of protein, 50 gr of almonds have at least 12gr of proteins, and mixed seeds is the same. so reach 30 gr of pro with breakfast making a mixture of these ingredients with some dried fruits (cranberries, apricots, dates, bananas).

for the rest eat a bunch of legumes combined with cereals like quinoa, rice, etc. that helps to assimilate the essential aminoacids in the cereals and the proteins of the legumes. being vegan without soy is not easy especially when you go up with weight and pro-grams.

is there a reason why you want to avoid soy?

Eat lots and lots of beans and greens! For instance, If you eat a meal of 200 grams of lentils (about a cup), and 200 grams frozen brocolli, you get about 24 grams of protein. Maybe sprinkle 12 grams of nutritional yeast on top for an extra 5-6 grams of protein and you are looking at a great high protein meal. So now you're looking at a meal that only has 345 calories, 30 g protein, 58 g carbs, 1 g fat. You can easily adjust the portions of these foods to suit your needs, but if you're currently 160, this might be about the right amount of food for one meal. Eat something similar to this six times per day and you would be at 180g protein, which should allow you to put on muscle mass.

Also, check out Derek Tresize's bean shake and substitute the soy milk if you want to maintain a soy free diet. It's an awesome whole foods shake that delivers a bunch of nutrition and protein. I am not totally soy free, but I limit my soy milk intake to about one cup per day as well maybe 4 or 5 oz. of tofu. Most days I don't have any tofu.

Your body will take some time to get used to the fiber in the beans, but after that you'll feel awesome and be making huge gains!