Hello

veganbunny

I'm Luis from Tallahassee, FL. Right now I'm trying to get into yoga to improve my flexibility so that I can do ballet in the fall. My main hobby is cycling. If anyone one has any recommendations on yoga reading materials, please feel free to post 'em.

Welcome to the group!

That is awesome to see VeganGirl2006 beat me to it, and she is a 1st day member too

Nice to have all the new people here

Hello Luis,

We have some people who are totally into Yoga, so be sure to explore around, they might be in the "other sports" category or perhaps in the fitness section.

We also have others into cycling, I'd check the "other sports" section for that too.

Nice to get another member from Florida, this will help with regional meet-ups since we have a few others in Florida.

All the best and welcome!

Hi! Welcome to the forum! I'm a newcomer here as well, but I can tell you you're going to love this forum.

On the subject of yoga, you probably already know that there are many different styles. All of them are equally valid, and you'll get benefits from any of them. My personal suggestion is that you expermient a bit, try different classes in your area (a teacher is essential if there's the chance, sadly not my case). Don't be discouraged if at first you can't do a particular asana or if your breath is uneven. Like everything, it will eventually come with time (and proper effort).

It's particularly important that you find a style you really like so that you stick with it. Frequent practice is the way to go if you really want to get something out of it. Remember 10 minutes a day is better than 2 hours a week.

In addition to this, don't forget that yoga is much more than just asanas and physical challenge. There's a whole philosophy that's well worth exploring, even if that's not what you're looking for at first.

I don't know if it's OK to recommend you any book, because I'm too focused on one style (ashtanga), and it might not be the one for you. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean you're not able to try it as a beginner (I did that myself, so there's no real problem). It's just that I think you should get a general idea of what yoga is before that. Anyway: "The Heart Of Yoga" by Desikachar is a good book, probably too focused on other aspects than asana, and maybe a bit too deep for a beginner. That might be a drawback but, IMHO, it's a fantastic book, even if it's not very instructional. If you do want to learn ashtanga because you're already familiar with it and are aware of the fast pace, then David Swenson's DVDs are best. "Short Forms" contains, as the title suggest, shorter practices, for those days you're short of time or simply don't feel like doing the whole thing. "First Series" is, IMHO, the best Primary Series DVD out there. Beware the poses are quite challenging, even if you're already fit.

You might also want to try Pilates, which is perhaps more adaptable and gives faster results. It lacks the spiritual side. Whether you take that as an advantage or not is up to you.

Have fun, an good luck!