Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Get Ripped or Die Trying
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:24 pm 
Gorilla

Tuesday, March 18, 2014:

Upper Body + HIIT Day

1. Burpees - 3 x 15
2. Close Grip Bench Press - 3 x 115lbs

3. T-Bar Row - 3 x 115/120/120lbs
4. Front Raise - 3 x 12 @ 35lbs
5. HIIT Break - HighKnees x 50 / Buttkicks x 50 / HighKnees x 50

6. Aussie Pullups - 3 x 12 @ BW
7. DB Cleans - 3 x 12* @ 35lbs

Felt good to get back to training after a day off for rest. The HIIT stuff kicked my ass, and I could tell my cardio has been suffering from lack of activity over the past few weeks. I'm kind of bummed by what I would consider stagnant progress. Despite the pics I posted last week, I kind of feel like I've looked like that for a while now. I've definitely been hovering around the 154 - 156 weight range for a solid month or so. I would like to either maintain weight, or drop a couple pounds - but mostly in an effort to drop body fat. I'm still in the 16-18% BF range, and would like to see that around 10%. I'm considering adopting a raw diet, and maybe even 80/10/10 raw. I can't help but admit that the prospect of eating as much fruit, and bags of greens as I want seems really tempting.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I'll train core tomorrow, but we have another fence guy coming for an estimate, so it might be a shorter session.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:30 am 
Batman

First of all... Aussie pull ups! Hell yeah! My fave exercise haha

In regards to not feeling like your body has changed much in a while, partially that could just be psychological mate, no one that lifts ever really feels bigger or big enough and the same god for body fat loss, so don't sweat it! You've made such killer progress!

Good luck with the raw stuff mate.. Hats off to you, I could never do that ahha
Hope all is well your side of the water matey

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
There's only one thing I'm riding at 6am, and it's not a bike!

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29098
http://www.facebook.com/ross.d.cosgrove

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:37 am 
Gorilla

vegan_rossco wrote:
First of all... Aussie pull ups! Hell yeah! My fave exercise haha

In regards to not feeling like your body has changed much in a while, partially that could just be psychological mate, no one that lifts ever really feels bigger or big enough and the same god for body fat loss, so don't sweat it! You've made such killer progress!

Good luck with the raw stuff mate.. Hats off to you, I could never do that ahha
Hope all is well your side of the water matey

Haha Aussie pullups are the shit! I've been doing them since my pullup bar doesn't really fit our doorframes - but I found one last night that fits!

I bet you're right about the psychological stuff. I weighed in this morning, and was down to 154 (157 yesterday). I'm definitely guilty of being impatient with respect to progress. I'll take it from you, and wait it out a bit more - but don't blame me if I'm complaining again in a few weeks! ahha

Dude you could totally do a raw 80/10/10 diet! I'm looking forward to eating more!

Otherwise, things are well here. Hope you two are well also buddy!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:19 pm 
Gorilla

Wednesday, March 19, 2014:

Core Day
(Repeat Twice, Rest 30 Seconds Between Rounds)

1. TRX Pike x 15
2. Side Plank w/ Crunch x 15
3. Decline Negative Crunch w/ Pulse x 15
4. Bicycle Abs x 60
5. Hanging Knee Raise x 15
6. TRX Oblique Knee Driver x 12*

Needed to get a quick set in today before the second fence appraisal came in. Kind of thought I don't need to spend an hour training just core, since it's only a small set of muscles, compared to training all upper body. So, I'll try to keep these short like this in the future. Man, I'm hungry! Also, fences in this area are so damn expensive! Time for some noms. I'll be back tomorrow for legs.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:06 pm 
Gorilla

Thursday, March 20, 2014:

Leg Day

1. Sumo Squat - 3 x 12 @ 140lbs
2. Squat Jump - 3 x 15

3. Straight Leg Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 110lbs
4. Bulgarian Split Squat - 3 x 12* @ 70lbs

5. Single Leg StepUp - 2 x 12* @ 50lbs
6. Lunge Jumps - 2 x 16

As you can see, I crapped out there at the end. Just wasn't really feeling it today; kind of tired, a little groggy, sneezy, and, frankly, a little bored. I want to make sure I am the one training, and not the training working me out.. If that makes sense. Eating was good. Found this cruciferous blend at Trader Joes (mix of broccoli, kale, brussels sprouts, and red cabbage, I think), that is pretty good to add in for some crunch. Although my favorite thing as of late are these big frozen chunks of mango from Trader Joes. I'll just stand at the counter and eat them right out of the bag - I could eat a whole damn bag!

Back on Saturday for full body pump.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:31 pm 
Gorilla

Saturday, March 22, 2014:

Saturday Pump

1. BB Bench - 3 x 8 @ 165lbs
2. Row - 3 x 8 @ 140lbs
3. DB Pullover - 3 x 15 @ 50lbs

4. Deadlift - 3 x 10 @ 165lbs
5. HighKnees/Buttkicks - 3 x 60 seconds
6. Front Squat - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs

7. Pullups - 3 x 10
8. Bar Twist - 3 x 12* @ 80lbs
9. EZ Curls - 3 x 10 @ 70lbs

So happy to have my pullup bar back in action. I was worried that my lats were wasting away without any solid training; though I suppose all of the rows have been doing the trick as well. Was interrupted by the final fence guy who came earlier than expected. However, I was able to get right back into things after he left. So, my wife made some pasta shells, with this cashew/tofu ricotta "cheese" that we are having for dinner tonight. I'll post up some pics. Also included is some bruschetta, which is (a) one of my favorite things, and (b) something I haven't had in many years.

I need to rethink my training days a little bit, I suppose. I feel like I'm not getting in enough full body days, or just segmenting a little too much. I can tell I am making some strength gains, but I also worry a bit about my cardio being neglected. Like leg days, sometimes you just have to force yourself to do HIIT stuff. I'll be back on Monday. Have a good weekend!

Oh, having an interesting Belgian farmhouse/saison beer tonight that I've been sitting on for a few months, called Halia. It's made by Goose Island, and is brewed with peaches, and aged in a white wine barrel. Here's a link to its reviews on BeerAdvocate: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1146/68362/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:36 pm 
VBB Moderator Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

Looks like a beer that would go well with that meal... mmmmmm!

Nice training session there as well, how long did that take you to get through?

Image @MiniForklift
WEB: http://www.jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-Forklift/161273440616736?ref=hl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:37 pm 
Gorilla

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Looks like a beer that would go well with that meal... mmmmmm!

Nice training session there as well, how long did that take you to get through?

Thanks mate. The beer was tasty, but a bit boozy for me. I tend to like lower ABV beers. This one was 7.5%, which really isn't that high, but when you add in the barrel aging, the alcohol tends to shine through if that makes sense. Also, I was particularly sensitive last night given my cold symptoms. Probably shouldn't have had any beer at all, but I couldn't resist. Saturday training usually takes me about an hour, maybe an hour and fifteen minutes. I actually had a segment for direct core training as well, but I figured that I could skip that because I trained core directly a couple days prior. Also (and here's the real reason), I was getting hungry haha.

Ate waaayyy too much of the bread last night. I very very rarely have bread (maybe twice in the last year), and so when I do, I tend to go overboard. No training today, and I also think I am coming down with a cold. Stuffy, sneezes, and a bit of medicine head as well. Hopefully it's just due to all of the dust and shit kicked into the air by the warmer weather. One thing is for sure, I can't stop eating! Hopefully it will pass in a day or so, and I can get back to training.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:55 pm 
Gorilla

Tuesday, March 25, 2014:

Upper Body Day

1. Close Grip Bench Press - 3 x 12 @ 120lbs
2. Bent Over Row - 3 x 12 @ 120lbs

3. PullUps - 3 x 10
4. Delt Raise - 3 x 12 @ 50lbs

5. EZ Bar Curl - 3 x 10 @ 70lbs
6. Dips - 3 x 30

Probably should not have trained today, as I am still feeling a little ill - and I have a pretty significant toothache. Headed to the dentist tomorrow :cry: I fuckin hate the damn dentist! I hope it goes quickly, and with little discomfort. I've been feeling so hungry lately, like I can't get enough to eat. For example, last night I had a pretty sizeable bowl of soup, and felt famished right after. What's up with that?

Anyway, wish me luck with the dentist tomorrow - I'm pretty nervous. Haven't been in years (like 5), and I'm not looking forward to an awkward situation, and the drill. Fuck...

I might take tomorrow off from training, but if I do, it will be core focused. Maybe I'll get some pain meds!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:09 pm 
Gorilla

Wednesday, March 26, 2014:

Core Day
(3 Rounds, as a circuit, rest 60 seconds between rounds)

1. Weighted Decline SitUp x 12 @ 25lbs
2. Lo-Hi Woodchopper x 12* @ 25lbs / 3rd round was decline negative crunch x 15
3. Side Plan w/ Rotation x 15*
4. Bicycle Abs x 50*
5. Side Bends x 15* @ 45lbs

Nothing special today, just getting something in to keep up. Went to the dentist this morning, got a very long overdue cleaning. Found out that I need eight fillings :cry: :cry: :cry: Will have as many of them done as possible tomorrow morning :shock: :zwangsjacke: And will then come home for the day. Not sure if I will train tomorrow or not. Probably not. But if I did, it would be lower body focused - which is why I'm betting that I don't train at all. :roll:

Pissed at myself at the moment...

Weight is up to nearly 158, and holding/raising a little. That is annoying to me. Unless it is muscle gain - then it's ok I guess. ha

Back soon.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:45 pm 
Gorilla

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Leg Day:

1. Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 165lbs
2. Angle Lunge - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs

...And.... That's it. Got caught up doing something else in the middle of my session, and just didn't feel like getting back into it once I had time. I actually felt too hungry, tired, and just kind of irritated. Also, had three fillings done today on the old chompers, which was pretty horrible. Worst part is that one of them is "too high," so my teeth don't sit properly on one another; meaning that I will have to go back and get it adjusted - probably when I go back for the other five damn fillings. I'll train on Saturday, and make sure to hit legs heavier than usual. But, today, it just wasn't meant to be.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:41 am 
Rabbit

This is probably a really silly question, but why deadlifts on leg day? I wouldnt consider this to be much of a leg exercise compared to, say a squat.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:22 am 
Gorilla

Payne wrote:
This is probably a really silly question, but why deadlifts on leg day? I wouldnt consider this to be much of a leg exercise compared to, say a squat.

This is actually an interesting question... I've always noticed deadlifts engage the hamstring, possibly more than any other muscle "area," but it appears we are both wrong. According to Wikipedia, Arnold Schwarzenegger's lifting site, and a host of other "authority," deadlifts are "one of the three canonical powerlifting exercises, along with the squat and bench press." The exercise, in its traditional variety, apparently works the following, leg specific: (1) gluteus maximus; (2) hamstrings; (3) quadriceps; and (4) adductor magnus. In addition to lower body, it also works grip, various abdominals, and, as you likely indicate, a majority of the back muscles. Also, hips, and forearms. Basically, short of biceps, it works the whole damn body, and is the most badass exercise of all, ever!

Here's my source(s): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadlift#Muscles_involved, and http://www.schwarzenegger.com/fitness/post/deadlift-101, and many others.

Good question mate!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:35 am 
Gorilla

Saturday, March 29, 2014:

Saturday Hyper Pump

1. BB Bench - 4 x 15 @ 135lbs
2. Bent Over Row - 4 x 15 @ 100lbs
3. Front Raise - 4 x 15 @ 25lbs

4. Sumo Squat - 3 x 12 @ 150lbs
5. Squat Jump - 3 x 12
6. Single Leg Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 45lbs

7. Pullups - 3 x 10
8. DB Snatch - 3 x 10 @ 35lbs
9. Curls - 3 x 10 @ 70lbs

Felt really great to get some solid training in today, especially after a stressful week of dental work, and other shit. It was also nice to change up the training a bit, and focus on higher reps/lower weight. Going to make some seriously delicious Indian food tonight, paired with a solid IPA. Definitely need to kick back a little. Supposed to be in the 60's tomorrow, so will be making sure to get outside for some vitamin D. I've noticed that I've been pretty depressed lately, and I think it's due to the shit weather we've been having since, oh I dunno, say November?

I'm still feeling so hungry all the time. Trying to keep calories low in the face of near constant hunger is pretty difficult. Maybe I should just let it go for a few days, and then return to cutting. Still thinking of doing 80/10/10, but worried about the cost. Seems like it would be pretty expensive to do here in the city.

Anyhow, enough for today - I need to get rolling. Have a good weekend everyone.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:25 pm 
Gorilla

Well it's a solo boys night gentlemen, as my wife is out for a bachelorette party (or hen night, correct?). Just wanted to post up what I made/had for dinner: Rajma Masala, Tabbouleh, hummus, and the Moon Man Pale Ale from New Glarus. It was awesome! Remember how I said I was always hungry? Not anymore! haha.

Attachments:
IndiaNight.jpeg
IndiaNight.jpeg [ 68.16 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 33  Next